Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody recommend a good logger that would want to cut a stand hardwoods thats not exactly grade A timber? ( maples and such). Probably around 80-100 acres in Harrison county

or does anybody have any info on prices?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you run into any loggers named bray, run. There are a bunch of them, none have a good rep. Anyone going to cut quality timber needs to get a forester to oversee the job. Loggers will rape you, in my opinion very few honest loggers left. If anyone needs a good forester, I can recommend one, and I rarely throw out recommendations.

·
5,040 Posts
Definitely contact a forester first!!! As Auld said Jim Bishop is a good one as are Randy and Koral Clum, 330-343-1425. Both Jim and the Clum's work Harrison county.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
One problem I have found with foresters as well as loggers, is if they know each other, than it seems like they work for each other more than either do for the land owner. The state has foresters that will work, but they are booked so far back. If a logger is from one county, he most likely knows all the foresters somewhat personally in their county as well as surrounding counties. If a forester is from one county, they probably something about every logger. Once again, my opinion is get a forester from a county that doesn't live in or touch the county the logger is based out of. Therefore leaving the logger in the dark as much as possible. Another way I learned to make bigger profits is to higher a logger who saws their own lumber cutting out another person taking your money. Stick with landowner to forester to logger/sawyer. This way you wont know what your profits will be, but if everyone ( forester, and logger) do the landowner right, profits should be substantially higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts