Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Those prices are dirt cheap compared to us here in Tenn. I am 48yrs. old if I buy a lifetime license right now it would cost me $1950.00 , a yearly Sportsmens license cost us $166.00 and that covers everything hunting/fishing except federal duck stamp. I bought my daughter a lifetime when she was born for $200 and she will never have to buy a license . But my worry about all this is where is the money going to come from in 20-30 yrs to operate when all these youngsters are grown and not having to buy a license .
That's definitely a concern but they know they need an injection of cash quickly to generate enough capital to purchase the land they are attempting to. Imagine what the 55,000 acres of aep ground would cost 20 years from now. If they borrow all the money they will pay 5 to 10% interest on it. It really feels like they have brought in some business consultants to help make some of these changes. Sometimes you have to make what seem like shortsighted decisions to even have a chance to make things work for the future. Kinda like when businesses have clearance sales just to survive and make changes to their business plan.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Why does it cost more for the "writing fee" for an adult lifetime license versus a youth lifetime license versus an annual license? You buy your license online - there should be NO writing fee - you are doing all the "writing".
That's just old verbiage used in the Ohio Revised Code. It's the only profit the vendor gets for their time in completing the process. The online sales program is not managed by ODNR but a third party.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Those prices are dirt cheap compared to us here in Tenn. I am 48yrs. old if I buy a lifetime license right now it would cost me $1950.00 , a yearly Sportsmens license cost us $166.00 and that covers everything hunting/fishing except federal duck stamp. I bought my daughter a lifetime when she was born for $200 and she will never have to buy a license . But my worry about all this is where is the money going to come from in 20-30 yrs to operate when all these youngsters are grown and not having to buy a license .
Well, not really "dirt cheap" if you compare apples to apples. If I checked your reg correctly, and based on what you said, your license covers deer, turkey, and small game. Looking at TN website I made some assumptions if you were to buy an equal number of tags in Ohio it would cost you $283 as a resident (6 deer and 4 turkey to complete a full bag limit in TN) . That's a $117 savings from Ohio. Ohio's lifetime license is ONLY a hunting license, you still need to buy your deer tags and turkey tags plus bear tags if that's ever opened here.

It will take you 11.74 years to recover the cost of your lifetime license, without deducting for the big game/turkey tags. If you divide it by the $30 hunting license in Ohio (next year's cost), which is all you get with a lifetime, it will take you 65 years to recover. It'll take me just over 18 years to recover the cost of just the hunting license. I still need to buy my $24 deer and $24 turkey tags ($30 next year). We're the same age BTW.

While $1950 is a lot of money, I think you've got a great deal going on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased a 3 year hunting license online last night. When I went to print it, it had AP in a box that means I was an apprentice hunter which was not correct. I had attested that I had previously held a hunting license when asked. I called the ODNR this morning and told of my problem. My hunting license purchase from last night was voided and my information was taking to correct the problem.

I was told there is a glitch in the online system when using an Apple product (I-phone or I-pad) when entering whether you have a hunter safety certificate. The correct box is clicked but the system doesn’t recognize it and it reverts to an apprentice hunter. They are working on correcting the problem. I just wanted people to know to check their newly purchased licenses for this problem. I don’t know if this problem occurs on more than a 3 year hunting license. I did not ask that question.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I purchased a 3 year hunting license online last night. When I went to print it, it had AP in a box that means I was an apprentice hunter which was not correct. I had attested that I had previously held a hunting license when asked. I called the ODNR this morning and told of my problem. My hunting license purchase from last night was voided and my information was taking to correct the problem.

I was told there is a glitch in the online system when using an Apple product (I-phone or I-pad) when entering whether you have a hunter safety certificate. The correct box is clicked but the system doesn't recognize it and it reverts to an apprentice hunter. They are working on correcting the problem. I just wanted people to know to check their newly purchased licenses for this problem. I don't know if this problem occurs on more than a 3 year hunting license. I did not ask that question.
My 10 year license was correct. But I did not have to answer a question about having a hunter safety certificate either.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Man, I'm giving this a lot of thought. too much probably. With my age I'm not sure a lifetime is worth it. If I do 2 ten year licenses it'll cost (currently) $360 which will put me at 68. At that point I will qualify for the senior lifetime which is currently $84 which will be a total of $444. Even with a modest increase in price I think I won't be saving that much so the 10 year may be the way I go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had to make a decision because I wanted to go groundhog hunting a friend's house the other day. I decided on the 10 year license. When that one expires I'll be a senior. :yikes::eek:ne_eye:
Me too. Bought my 10 year license in 2019. I’ll be a senior when it runs out
The other options offer a minimal savings. I think the 10 year option only saves you like $10. For me to fork out hundreds of dollars up front it's going to have to be more than a few dollar savings. I'd rather spend $19 or whatever it is each year and leave the large lump of sum in the bank making money.
it only saves you $10 now. It the license fees go up in the near future , say to $24, you will be saving more. It locks your price for the next 10 years basically.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I turn 66 next month. One of the first things I plan on doing is buying my lifetime hunting and fishing licenses. First reason, I foresee a future price increase for licenses. Second reason, I now realize that anything I now have I’m not taking with me.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Tak,
God bless ya! That outlook is truly a great one!

Reactions: catchdog
21 - 30 of 30 Posts