Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm too old to make it worth the expenditure. But it's a start.

I'll like to see a sportsman's license. Fishing/Hunting/Wetlands/Deer Tag/Turkey Tag/ etc

Even thought I might not use all of them every year. I'd definitely get one of those.

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
They will make that $10 discount back with the Lake Erie tag! I’d be all for paying for Lake Erie tags but actually do something for the lake instead of worrying about walleye records and clean up all the trash I see floating around the rocks and break walls!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I plan on buying one for my kids. At 37 don’t know if it makes sense financially to buy one for myself. If you are under 30 it makes perfect sense to get one. As you approach 40 it’s a gamble.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
They have multi year as well...I think up to 10 year.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I'm 39 and will be 40 in March. The lifetime doesn't make much sense but I like the other multi year options.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am right on the cusp of it being worth it, not sure if i will pull the trigger or not. I just hope that they keep their word on things and don't rescind the lifetime passes in the future. i thought i heard of other states doing that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Question. I have not looked this up so If it has been answered forgive me. I live close to 2 states. If I bought for my kids or myself the lifetime license and then moved out of state is it no longer valid? Or does my license then include my out of state fees and I truly never have to buy an ohio license again.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm 39 and will be 40 in March. The lifetime doesn't make much sense but I like the other multi year options.
The other options offer a minimal savings. I think the 10 year option only saves you like $10. For me to fork out hundreds of dollars up front it's going to have to be more than a few dollar savings. I'd rather spend $19 or whatever it is each year and leave the large lump of sum in the bank making money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right now it offers limited savings, but it would possibly protect from license fees increasing in a few years.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The other options offer a minimal savings. I think the 10 year option only saves you like $10. For me to fork out hundreds of dollars up front it's going to have to be more than a few dollar savings. I'd rather spend $19 or whatever it is each year and leave the large lump of sum in the bank making money.
What do you think the price of hunting/fishing license will be in ten years? It's differently not going down. This could end up saving some people (especially young people) considerable amount of money over a lifetime. I'm fifty, started hunting when I was ten, don't remember what a license cost then, but it wasn't $19.00!

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
At these current interest rates I'd rather bury it in the back yard. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think it makes the most sense for someone who knows they will move out of state and still will return to hunt regularly.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Those prices are dirt cheap compared to us here in Tenn. I am 48yrs. old if I buy a lifetime license right now it would cost me $1950.00 , a yearly Sportsmens license cost us $166.00 and that covers everything hunting/fishing except federal duck stamp. I bought my daughter a lifetime when she was born for $200 and she will never have to buy a license . But my worry about all this is where is the money going to come from in 20-30 yrs to operate when all these youngsters are grown and not having to buy a license .

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Had to make a decision because I wanted to go groundhog hunting a friend's house the other day. I decided on the 10 year license. When that one expires I'll be a senior. :yikes::eek:ne_eye:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Why does it cost more for the "writing fee" for an adult lifetime license versus a youth lifetime license versus an annual license? You buy your license online - there should be NO writing fee - you are doing all the "writing".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts