Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

less yotes = more deer

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  coyote1 
#1 ·
I started to snare coyotes in January 2011 because we lost every fawn on our property the summer of 2010. This is no joke from July thru the end of deer season we did not see one fawn while hunting or get a pic on the trail cam.So i started a bait pile and set snares and cought 5 females in a 9 week period. If you dont like the idea of me using a bait pile this tread is not for you move on i am not writing this for you to have a chance to bash me for what i am doing. 5 yotes dont sound like much but the this past summer every doe had fawns by her side and to this day still do.
Dec 2011 I set up again using all deer carcasses from gun season and have cought 6 so far 3 females & 3 males.

I live in eastern wash county and our deer numbers have declined as much as 50 to 60% this no bulls_it. We have been hunting in western part of the county trying to leave our property to recover.
I only have one baitsite because of limited time do to 2 jobs. Just trying to help the deer numbers on my property.
I was asked to post this so i repeat if this not your cup of tea move on i do not care what you have to say about it period.

I like deer more than yotes.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think most people on this form knows how bad Coyotes are and what damage they can do to a farm and land. I had a old farmer guy tell me once the way he keeps them dead and away was, He would cut a sponge up into chucks and soak them in chicken liver and place them out and once ate then they couldn't pass and kills them. Not sure if it works or not.

#6 ·
I think most people on this form knows how bad Coyotes are and what damage they can do to a farm and land. I had a old farmer guy tell me once the way he keeps them dead and away was, He would cut a sponge up into chucks and soak them in chicken liver and place them out and once ate then they couldn't pass and kills them. Not sure if it works or not.
Yes it works get in them and swells even more great for stray neighborhood cats too!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#7 ·
Would love to hear how you go about snaring them and what gear you use. I have no personal interest in snaring nor any expertise in it. But I need to think about enacting some sort of plan to reliably cut down on their numbers. I think if I hunted them on my 48 acres, they'd wise up too quickly.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
i kind of view coyote hunting like turk hunting...using calls/and hunting them like that...hopefully more will get into coyote hunting ...done the right way it can be as challenging as turk hunting and as fun...i do think poisoning them is kind of low...no...very low and shouldnt be done...populations can be kept in check if all the deer hunters buy a nice varmint gun and a caller and get out there and enjoy hunting another game animal ...i know i plan on doing this once i retire and have the time...i wouldnt mind trying to make a nice coyote back quiver or two either...again i would never ever resort to poisoning them...i'm sort of surprised that post(s) is still here...good luck on your coyote hunting and i soon hope to be getting a good bolt action rifle that will be good for coyotes and deer maybe a 243...it looks like i may need another caller as the battery on my old johnny stewart wont take a charge...need to check it out again,not sure what kind of battery it has...permanent or replaceable...:D

#11 ·
coonie

I would love to call in yotes and bust them but, 4 years ago i spent 250 bucks on a caller and for two winters we went out at daylight, dusk, midday ,midnight and so on. We called in two yotes in that time both were after dark and never got a shot.Not moch open ground around here to set up and call on, so at that rate of kill my yote numbers will get further out of hand.

#12 ·
i kind of view coyote hunting like turk hunting...using calls/and hunting them like that...hopefully more will get into coyote hunting ...done the right way it can be as challenging as turk hunting and as fun...i do think poisoning them is kind of low...no...very low and shouldnt be done...populations can be kept in check if all the deer hunters buy a nice varmint gun and a caller and get out there and enjoy hunting another game animal ...i know i plan on doing this once i retire and have the time...i wouldnt mind trying to make a nice coyote back quiver or two either...again i would never ever resort to poisoning them...i'm sort of surprised that post(s) is still here...good luck on your coyote hunting and i soon hope to be getting a good bolt action rifle that will be good for coyotes and deer maybe a 243...it looks like i may need another caller as the battery on my old johnny stewart wont take a charge...need to check it out again,not sure what kind of battery it has...permanent or replaceable...:D
If poisoning was legal and it absoluyely is not on you own property or anywhere else, how would you stop from killing nontarget animals. You'd run the risk of dogs, fox, '**** or any other carnivor that was attracted to whatever bait you were using. At the risk of offending someone I think it is a serious crime that should pull a large,(very large) fine and prison time. JMO:biggrin:

#13 ·
Would love to hear how you go about snaring them and what gear you use. I have no personal interest in snaring nor any expertise in it. But I need to think about enacting some sort of plan to reliably cut down on their numbers. I think if I hunted them on my 48 acres, they'd wise up too quickly.
I use 80" coyote snares that go through themselves to make a loop around a small tree. I use tie wire to to support the snare or heavy wire and make an arch to support the snare. I use no scent control at all. I make my loops 10-12in. in diameter and set them at the height of my knee. I check my snares at least once but sometimes twice a day. This year I had two trees fall almost forming a V. I put my bait pile in the center of the trees and set a perimeter of snares. After a short time I noticed where coyotes are avoiding my snares and then added more snares to the new enterences. This is very easy to do, but I caution you to find someone with some expertiece to get you started. Deer can be snared just as easy as a yote and that would be going backwards.

#15 ·
I would love to call in yotes and bust them but, 4 years ago i spent 250 bucks on a caller and for two winters we went out at daylight, dusk, midday ,midnight and so on. We called in two yotes in that time both were after dark and never got a shot.Not moch open ground around here to set up and call on, so at that rate of kill my yote numbers will get further out of hand.
i get you...and lets face it you must discard the carcasses somewhere...sooo if yotes come in...go get em...i hope i can get good enough to bust a few a yr...or a couple...not a lot but if all deer hunters out there busted 2 -4 yotes a yr...but then again its hard hunting no doubt but some on here have seemed to mastered it with the gun and caller...and my hat is off to them guys...for sure...hopefully they share their knowlegde on here...:bouncy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.