Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some land on the Oh In border. So my question is. If i shoot a deer in Oh and it runs over the Border can I recover it without a In hunting licens ?

·
22,520 Posts
I'm looking at some land on the Oh In border. So my question is. If i shoot a deer in Oh and it runs over the Border can I recover it without a In hunting licens ?
Can you see the border "line" on the property between the two states? I think you need to have a definitive line on the ground(whether it's yellow, orange, etc.) to make sure you are really over the border-:mischeif::biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Can you see the border "line" on the property between the two states? I think you need to have a definitive line on the ground(whether it's yellow, orange, etc.) to make sure you are really over the border-:mischeif::biggrin:
Right? I would think if the property has an Ohio mailing address, then the whole property is considered "Ohio".?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have made this more clear. The property ends on the border there is a fence. But deer do jump fences. So lets say the land owner gives me the ok on paper to track and recover the deer. Is it legal for me to do so without a In licens.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I guess I should have made this more clear. The property ends on the border there is a fence. But deer do jump fences. So lets say the land owner gives me the ok on paper to track and recover the deer. Is it legal for me to do so without a In licens.[/QU I would think that as long as you could show a wildlife officer concrete evidence ie: a bloodtrail, that shows the deer was shot on the Ohio side you would be ok.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I would think that as long as you could show a wildlife officer concrete evidence ie: a bloodtrail, that shows the deer was shot on the Ohio side you would be ok.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0[/QUOTE]

X2

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
"hunting" is broadly defined in Ohio and includes blood trailing a wounded deer if you are "employing any device commonly used to kill" a deer.

HUNTING means pursuing, shooting, killing, following after or on the trail of, lying in wait for, shooting at, or wounding wild birds or wild quadrupeds while employing any device commonly used to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds whether such acts result in such killing or wounding or not. It includes every attempt to kill or wound and every act of assistance to any other person in killing or wounding or attempting to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds.

If the definition is similar in IN, I'd say recovering a deer on the other side of the fence could be hunting without a license. Certainly do not bring a weapon along.

As a practical matter, I have recovered deer,after notifying law enforcement, from places where hunting was prohibited without ever a problem.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'd give the wildlife officer a call...ask this question to them...get somethang in writing...maybe in ohio and indiana because they dont care what anybuddy on here sez...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I would and I wouldn't think twice about it. But, remember- You'll need permission to retrieve (oh god, what have I done- let's not get into that one again).
I know you're trying to do the lawful thing here, but like I always say- sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Do you really think an out of state license is warranted to retrieve a deer you shoot in Ohio that travels into IN? I don't and I wouldn't ask about it (I probably wouldn't get the answer I wanted).
The way I see it, no harm- no foul and more than likely no one would ever know.
If you do find out for sure, let us know. I'm curious what the law would say.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It amazes me how some juatifies breaking the law...then complain if others do ...:biggrin:
There's a difference in breaking "laws" and violating Rights.
It seems it wouldn't matter to you what the law says. What if they banned all trad equipment because of the higher rates/better chance of wounding deer?
Sometimes you gotta make a stand **** and not blindly follow arbitrary laws just because they're law. That's kinda what's wrong with this country ****.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Tresspassing is trespassing anyway you cut it ...whether someone does it against you or you on them...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I just can't understand the rationale behind thinking it's "okay" to deny someone if they ask to cross onto your property to retrieve their deer. I am very protective of whats mine, but c'mon, just seems to me that even if I didnt agree with hunting, it would still be worse to leave an animal lay and have died for nothing than let a hunter retrieve it.

I guess it comes down to, either you follow the rule, do unto others as you would have done unto you, and hope for the best, or you follow the law word for word, and what happens will happen. Its up to each individual to decide what they feel is right and proceed, ready to accept whatever is about to happen.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I said recover the deer WITH THE LAND OWNERS OK ON PAPER. so that cuts out all of the trespassing bullshi_ . GMbuck was the only one looking at this as I did. See Oh law also says I have to tag the deer right away. So now I would be in the state oh In and putting an Oh deer tag on a deer. I will try to call a wildlife office and see what they say.
Coonie and Jerico please take your crap someplace else. Start your own thread if you want.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
OK I said recover the deer WITH THE LAND OWNERS OK ON PAPER. so that cuts out all of the trespassing bullshi_ . GMbuck was the only one looking at this as I did. See Oh law also says I have to tag the deer right away. So now I would be in the state oh In and putting an Oh deer tag on a deer. I will try to call a wildlife office and see what they say.
Coonie and Jerico please take your crap someplace else. Start your own thread if you want.
I thought this thread was pretty much dead, that's why I waited so long to post anything (I knew my reply would stir things a bit). You asked, I answered and then **** called me out. I gotta defend myself. Sorry you feel my response is "crap".

·
7,173 Posts
This was in the local paper few years ago. A guy in WV shot a deer that jumped in the river and swam to the Ohio side. He got in his truck and drove over to Ohio. He walked around the area he last saw it with his rifle and found the deer dead. He was charged with hunting without a license and hunting with a rifle.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
This was in the local paper few years ago. A guy in WV shot a deer that jumped in the river and swam to the Ohio side. He got in his truck and drove over to Ohio. He walked around the area he last saw it with his rifle and found the deer dead. He was charged with hunting without a license and hunting with a rifle.
I wonder what the end result was.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jerico, The reason I called it crap is because I hade made myself cleae ( WITH THE LANDOWNERS OK ON PAPER ) AS far as the ( easier to get forgiveness than permission line ) I use it myself from time to time. AS for stiring things up HAHA thats what I was doing. Fight crap with crap like monkey's.
OK , I talked with a GW or wildlife officer from both OH and IN. They both said the same thing. Puy your weapon down in oh then go get your deer and tag it with your tag. Make sure you shoot the deer on ohio property.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
OK , I talked with a GW or wildlife officer from both OH and IN. They both said the same thing. Puy your weapon down in oh then go get your deer and tag it with your tag. Make sure you shoot the deer on ohio property.
Excellent! I'm glad it worked out that way for you!

Now....if you and the adjacent property owner happen to become friends....it may behoove you get the Indiana license anyways.....:whistle::D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts