Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I'm 100% indifferent. What he has done by going to Miami to create Super Team is, in my opinion, the equivalent of all the best kids on the playground forming one team and then being proud of winning over all the other teams with less elite talent. It doesn't impress me.

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
I think it is unfortunate that he got a ring.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Cream I have mixed feelings about that as even super teams can be dropped by the good teams that play as a team. I remember as a kid in middle school/junior high,(1960), the New York Yankees had Mantle, Howard, Richardson, Skowron, Marris, Yogi, ****** Ford and a host of other supreme players were playing the Pittsbuth Pirate for the World Series,(no real super stars by comparison but good solid players ..well mostly as they had Roberto Clemente and Law as a pitcher). The Pirates were grossly overmatched against the Yankees, who had won their 10th pennant in 12 years. The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55–27 in the series. It came down to the 7th last game of the series 9th inning with Billy Mazerowski at bat,(a good hitter but no power hitter in anyones book). I believe the third or forth pitcher for the Yankees was Ralph Terry. The count was 1 ball and no strikes and Billy's bat cracked and the ball went over the left field fence giving the Pirates a 10-9 victory and dropping the mighty Yankees. Seems the Heat have take awhile to get it together when it really mattered but finally did it.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Cream I have mixed feelings about that as even super teams can be dropped by the good teams that play as a team. I remember as a kid in middle school/junior high,(1960), the New York Yankees had Mantle, Howard, Richardson, Skowron, Marris, Yogi, ****** Ford and a host of other supreme players were playing the Pittsbuth Pirate for the World Series,(no real super stars by comparison but good solid players ..well mostly as they had Roberto Clemente and Law as a pitcher). The Pirates were grossly overmatched against the Yankees, who had won their 10th pennant in 12 years. The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the series. It came down to the 7th last game of the series 9th inning with Billy Mazerowski at bat,(a good hitter but no power hitter in anyones book). I believe the third or forth pitcher for the Yankees was Ralph Terry. The count was 1 ball and no strikes and Billy's bat cracked and the ball went over the left field fence giving the Pirates a 10-9 victory and dropping the mighty Yankees. Seems the Heat have take awhile to get it together when it really mattered but finally did it.:biggrin:
I completely agree these "super teams" can be beaten. What I was eluding to was these types of teams are expected to win, and anything less than championships are failures for them. It's sort of like the Dream Team in the Olympics, to a lesser extent, obviously. That team won gold, and it was no big thing. They had more talent than everyone else. It would have been a huge story had they lost, bigger than that team winning.

·
22,534 Posts
Someone mention The Dream Team? :thumbs_up:
There's a "Dream Team":confused::D

Unfortnately LeBron will never be ranked with Jordan and Kobe in my book. He gave up on his home "team" in the playoffs and then made a mockery of the state he was born in with his TV "Commercial" -I'm taking my talents to South Beach:rolleyes:. He may like the trophy he won while he's drooling on it in his sleep, but he will never be looked at in the same company as Jordan-not even close no matter how many he wins.:thumbs_down:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
LeBron is a great player and athlete; possibly in the Top 10 that have every played the game. Only time will tell.

His attitude, personality, and "better than the world" ego totally suck making him unlikeable in my eyes.

Even with an abrupt attitude adjustment I don't think he'll ever outlive his immature acts of the past.

He and Art Modell will always be grouped together in history here in Cleveland.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I completely agree these "super teams" can be beaten. What I was eluding to was these types of teams are expected to win, and anything less than championships are failures for them. It's sort of like the Dream Team in the Olympics, to a lesser extent, obviously. That team won gold, and it was no big thing. They had more talent than everyone else. It would have been a huge story had they lost, bigger than that team winning.
You should know all about Dream Teams :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am happy for him I became a bigger fan when he went to Miami. His means of making a living revolves around winning. The more he wins the more he makes through endorsements and the like. Good for him to wise up and get with an organization that is dedicated to winning. Dan Gilbert is a joke plain and simple. He went to a much better organization. Yes for personal reasons I wish he was still in Cleveland since I can drive up and watch a game virtually anytime and I ain't driving to south beach but good for him to make a decision to positively impact his career. There is no satisfying anyone might as well make yourself happy. If he had stayed in Cleveland and never won a ring then he wouldn't ever be considered great and now that he is playing in Miami he can't be great bc he has talent around him what a joke. Some forget Jordan had good talent too when they started winning titles. I am the biggest Jordan fan there is so I ain't handing Jordan's crown as the greatest ever over but Lebron is pretty dang good. Congrats to him.

Breathn built PSE xXx-Roid 182KE & 1.043MO

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
There's a "Dream Team":confused::D

Unfortnately LeBron will never be ranked with Jordan and Kobe in my book. He gave up on his home "team" in the playoffs and then made a mockery of the state he was born in with his TV "Commercial" -I'm taking my talents to South Beach:rolleyes:. He may like the trophy he won while he's drooling on it in his sleep, but he will never be looked at in the same company as Jordan-not even close no matter how many he wins.:thumbs_down:
think about almost everybuddy loved dr. j...bird... jordan...or majic...these guys knew they were great but they wernt bigger than the game...they knew they owed the game...lebron seems to think the game owes him...:D...i dont think so...:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am going to assume it would have been ok if wade and bosh came to Cleveland and they won it there lol I bet he would be awesome then

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I am going to assume it would have been ok if wade and bosh came to Cleveland and they won it there lol I bet he would be awesome then

not if it was behind the scenes by the 3 of them like was done in miami...jordan wanted a ring too but he begged his coaches for better players...jordan was still wowing folks long befor chicago won championships or not...and if they hadnt won a championship he'd still be considered the greatest player ever...i mean look how many times he broke 50...:Dthe management and coaches got the players,not jordan...i agree cleveland should have done that too...i hope pro basketball does something to keep this from happening again...players should not be controlling who plays for whom...a basketball made lebron what he is...lebron is not making basketball...there will be another along as good or better...the game has been there a long time...players should not be calling the shots...:D

·
22,534 Posts
I am happy for him I became a bigger fan when he went to Miami. His means of making a living revolves around winning. The more he wins the more he makes through endorsements and the like. Good for him to wise up and get with an organization that is dedicated to winning. Dan Gilbert is a joke plain and simple. He went to a much better organization. Yes for personal reasons I wish he was still in Cleveland since I can drive up and watch a game virtually anytime and I ain't driving to south beach but good for him to make a decision to positively impact his career. There is no satisfying anyone might as well make yourself happy. If he had stayed in Cleveland and never won a ring then he wouldn't ever be considered great and now that he is playing in Miami he can't be great bc he has talent around him what a joke. Some forget Jordan had good talent too when they started winning titles. I am the biggest Jordan fan there is so I ain't handing Jordan's crown as the greatest ever over but Lebron is pretty dang good. Congrats to him.

No congrats to Lebron from this side-doesn't deserve it as noted and stated-I don't congratulate quitters and those needing the easy way to accomplish a goal.

The issue wasn't making the decision- it had more to do with "quitting" on the team in the playoffs and the organization and then "the decision" with the media telecasting nationwide he was taking his "talents" to South Beach. It's like right after your arse just got beat in a fist fight and then she bends over your whupped face and slaps you to finish you off-

He can win 10 titles and never be as good as Jordan.

There are ways to do what he did "professionally"- Remember the way Rich Rod left WVU and going to coach Mishigan? :mischeif:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep I do remember when rich rod left Wvu and I was happy for him since he was stepping up to bigger and better and I am a rod fan and have friends on his staff that coached me in college and that I played with in college and I couldn't have been happier for him and his staff. There is a lot that went on at Wvu and I have absolutely no problem with him leaving. That said lets go Arizona.

As far as Lebron being a quitter he gave Cleveland 7 years and did all he could management didn't bring the players it took to win and he moved on. Tough. That's pro sports its a business. I know I played. How come no one has a problem with anyone elses big three te celtics or Chris Paul and Blake griffin teaming up. Come on fellas they don't control the game they made a decision to play together that it. I will say Lebron 1 dan Gilbert 0 on delivering promises of championships lol

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Yep I do remember when rich rod left Wvu and I was happy for him since he was stepping up to bigger and better and I am a rod fan and have friends on his staff that coached me in college and that I played with in college and I couldn't have been happier for him and his staff. There is a lot that went on at Wvu and I have absolutely no problem with him leaving. That said lets go Arizona.

As far as Lebron being a quitter he gave Cleveland 7 years and did all he could management didn't bring the players it took to win and he moved on. Tough. That's pro sports its a business. I know I played. How come no one has a problem with anyone elses big three te celtics or Chris Paul and Blake griffin teaming up. Come on fellas they don't control the game they made a decision to play together that it. I will say Lebron 1 dan Gilbert 0 on delivering promises of championships lol

but cleveland was knocking on the door...it could have been a yr.or two later...just one player away...and they may have beat boston had labron had not quit...say what you want but theres no reason for that...he does get paid you know...:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Basketball is great entertainment for a street corner. but its not as entertaining as water polo or synchronized swimming. or curling for that matter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts