Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used a LS at the range I go to. With a lot of people using it, it's not in the best shape. I ordered one this weekend. I read up on reviews about the LS before ordering it. There was only one review that was negative and it was about using the Sled with a wooden stocked gun. The reviewer said there is a possibility of breaking the stock if the Sled was not setup properly. He went on to say, in a heavy recoil firearm, use less weight on the sled so it will "give" or move with the shot. Has anyone here heard of this or is this a real problem. If you own a LS or have used one, how did you like it? Any input will be helpful.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the lead sled solo and have nothing but great things to say about it. I've shot a marlin 45-70 out of it with no problems. Def makes sighting in a rifle a breeze.

·
5,040 Posts
I use one to pattern and sight in my Remington 870 SM for turkey hunting, I use a bag of shot that weighs 21# and haven't had any trouble with mine, and that's with shooting some nasty 3 1/2 Turkey loads.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
They got a new model that ya can hook a fatuba remote control radio a couple servos and tv too it - send your wife ta the range and u can stay home and fire you gun from your recliner using your cell phone camera - i tried ta order one but they said they won't be out till this fall - dang :rolleyes::whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
They got a new model that ya can hook a fatuba remote control radio a couple servos and tv too it - send your wife ta the range and u can stay home and fire you gun from your recliner using your cell phone camera - i tried ta order one but they said they won't be out till this fall - dang :rolleyes::whistle::mischeif:
Thanks for the suggestions. The one I ordered is a Trimec Six speed with the optional duel disk clutch, hydro throw out bearing. The azimuth adjustment dial is in MM in case I'm using it to shoot at a Euro Deer. And you will appreciate this, it has a built in spit cup and tooth pick holder. All the bearings have a lifetime lube so you don't have to get dirty when your doing the yearly PM.

My wife died earlier this year so she can't help me anymore.

Thanks for all of the input guys, anyone else use one of these?

RGJZ06

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The one I ordered is a Trimec Six speed with the optional duel disk clutch, hydro throw out bearing. The azimuth adjustment dial is in MM in case I'm using it to shoot at a Euro Deer. And you will appreciate this, it has a built in spit cup and tooth pick holder. All the bearings have a lifetime lube so you don't have to get dirty when your doing the yearly PM.

My wife died earlier this year so she can't help me anymore.

Thanks for all of the input guys, anyone else use one of these?

RGJZ06

Well i find the one i got now works best when tuned to E flat and the flaps are set to 5 degreez :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
RGJ,

I've used one for years with heavy recoil guns (300 Win Mag, 12 Ga 3" slug), both synthetic and wood stocks, and haven't had and problems with guns or scopes. That said, I have never added weight. The sled is heavy enough that I haven't felt that it was needed. Hope that helps.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i find the one i got now works best when tuned to E flat and the flaps are set to 5 degreez :D
I knew you would love my reply back to you.

I really do miss my wife. We were married 45 year and have three children and four grandchildren. God Rest Her Soul.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I knew you would love my reply back to you.

I really do miss my wife. We were married 45 year and have three children and four grandchildren. God Rest Her Soul.

RGJZ06

Peace, prayers, and blessings

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RGJ,

I've used one for years with heavy recoil guns (300 Win Mag, 12 Ga 3" slug), both synthetic and wood stocks, and haven't had and problems with guns or scopes. That said, I have never added weight. The sled is heavy enough that I haven't felt that it was needed. Hope that helps.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Thanks for the input. All of my guns have wooden stocks and I was worried.

I'm going to use the LS to sight in a gun or two but really am buying it for my grand son to use. He is confined to a wheel chair and has never fired a gun. He is 20 years old. I would like to get him used to shooting and then later on, I'd like to take him hunting. Right now he just sits at home. My son and him build airplanes and trucks that he drives up and down the street. They are RC controlled and it's a challenge for him to operate one but he is getting better at it.

RGJZ06

·
22,524 Posts
Caldwell!!! I even help you out RG when I'm on a short trip with the wife away from home!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

·
7,173 Posts
I've used a LS at the range I go to. With a lot of people using it, it's not in the best shape. I ordered one this weekend. I read up on reviews about the LS before ordering it. There was only one review that was negative and it was about using the Sled with a wooden stocked gun. The reviewer said there is a possibility of breaking the stock if the Sled was not setup properly. He went on to say, in a heavy recoil firearm, use less weight on the sled so it will "give" or move with the shot. Has anyone here heard of this or is this a real problem. If you own a LS or have used one, how did you like it? Any input will be helpful.

RGJZ06

Never used one but I have heard that stock breakage can be a problem with big bore rifles (over .40 cal) with wood stocks. I wouldn't worry much with rifles up to .338 win mag. I don't think I'd worry much on most shotguns either.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never used one but I have heard that stock breakage can be a problem with big bore rifles (over .40 cal) with wood stocks. I wouldn't worry much with rifles up to .338 win mag. I don't think I'd worry much on most shotguns either.
I should be o k with every gun I own except one.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
20 Posts
I havent had any problems out of my LS Plus I have shot my 45-70 out of it with no problem but my cousin he shots 338 lapua out of his and no problem what so ever but its a tupperware stock ''synthetic stock''

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received in the Lead Sled and put it together Monday night after work. It's the Caldwell DFT model and it's built like a tank. It's very heavy so it might not require any shot bags for weight. I'll report back on how well it functions at a later date when I take it to the range.

RGJZ06

1 - 15 of 15 Posts