Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going to be able to get down to Southern Ohio until the last weekend of the season...any thoughts on it? Anybody think it will be too late to try and get my son a turkey?? I'm just up in the air about it with the early warm up and things be so darn early...any thoughts would be appreciated............

·
Registered
665 Posts
Birds gobble into June down here most of the time. Late season is my favorite time. Less people, less hens, and lonely toms.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm in SW Ohio, and I really enjoy hte last two weeks of season for the same reason just mentioned. From my experience today and earlier this week, the birds are still very much on the hens, and will be very lonely in the next week or so. I'm holding out for good things to come!

Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
In 31 seasons of spring gobbler hunting 11 of 110 gobblers I have harvested have been on the opening day of the respective state. 6 have been harvested on the last day of the season.

Patience and persistence are attributes of successful turkey hunters.

I am hoping to bag number 111 in PA tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Last year I killed my second bird on the last day at 10:30. My best bird to date. 21lbs 11 inch beard and inch and a half spurs. It can happen just as easy on the last day as the first day.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Banned
955 Posts
In years past it has always been a challenge the last week of season for us. On average, we kill 90% of our birds the first two weeks. Having said that, this year, for whatever reason, the first week has been phenominal. The guys I know and/or hunt with have taken more birds this first week than any other season I can think of. I am seeing gobblers by theirself grouped up with no hens. That tells me two things.........A) hens are on nest B) when the gobblers start grouping up like that the fat lady is warming up.

Maybe it's just the areas we are hunting as things change from county to county.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts