Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I am looking 4 a similar event to kenton nationals, family and friends have been going 4 30+ yrs we had a vendor spot last 2, I have been told there is one like it in OH. and 1 in PA. same weekend which is labor day. anyone that could send info would be highly appreciated. Thanks,00JP Please send info to [email protected]

· Premium Member
812 Posts
I am looking 4 a similar event to kenton nationals
I copied this a couple years ago, but don't know if these events
are still happening?
If anyone has any info on them please let us know.

Events at the Trans-Sippi grounds

*Trans-sippi and Mark Twain are annual events hosted by Leafy Oak, LLC. They are held in Logan County, Ohio from July 4th through the 6th. With a **** Dog Field Trial, Water Race, and Flea Market, it's fun for the whole family.

*Leafy Oak, LLC. also hosts World Championship **** Dog Field
Trial, Water Race and flea market the weekend before Kenton
National, August 22nd through the 24th.

Directions
From Bellefontaine-Go East on Highway 47 approximately 12 miles. At the Junction with Highway 292 go north 2 miles to Logan County Road 26 where you will turn west (there is ajog in the road). At the stop sign turn back left then make an immediate right on Logan County Road 26. The grounds are 1.5 miles on your left.

From Kenton-Go South on Highway 292 through Ridgeway to Logan County Road 26, turn right. At the stop sign turn back left then make an immediate right on Logan County Road 26 (there is ajog in the road). The grounds are 1.5 miles on your left.

From Columbus/Marysville-Go North on Interstate 33 to the
Valley Hi Exit for Highway 292, go north. You will cross Highway 47
continue going north 2 more miles and turn left on Logan County Road 26.
At the stop sign turn back left then make an immediate right on
Logan County Road 26 (there is ajog in the road). The grounds are 1.5 mile

· Registered
35 Posts
My first post here and Hope I can be of some help
seeing as I used to run field trial and swim dogs both I still stay in the loop somewhat

Trans-Sippi is now defuct the land was sold

Labor day weekend has plenty of dog activities that has been an offspring of KENTON for many years

one is in Johnstown ohio on sportsman club road at the community coonhunters club it is known as swappers day this is the second largest to Kenton they do have the swim races but no trials

another one is http://www.valleyviewtradedays.com/Valley/index.html this particular event is full coonhound specific.... but still has the flea market/camping environment that kenton has/had ?

another that is full coonhound specific is Atumn Oaks in richmond Indiana at the fairgrounds

now Rumor has it the straglers that do not attend the above events might set up at progressive sportsmans club in Ft. Recovery Ohio

as of now this is rumor but IMO not an outragous claim as they hold a fall trade days with flea market, camping, field trials and swim races the 1st weekened of Oct every years

· Registered
14,755 Posts
My first post here and Hope I can be of some help
seeing as I used to run field trial and swim dogs both I still stay in the loop somewhat

Labor day weekend has plenty of dog activities that has been an offspring of KENTON for many years

one is in Johnstown ohio on sportsman club road at the community coonhunters club it is known as swappers day this is the second largest to Kenton they do have the swim races but no trials

another one is http://www.valleyviewtradedays.com/Valley/index.html this particular event is full coonhound specific.... but still has the flea market/camping environment that kenton has/had ?

now Rumor has it the straglers that do not attend the above events might set up at progressive sportsmans club in Ft. Recovery Ohio

as of now this is rumor but IMO not an outragous claim as they hold a fall trade days with flea market, camping, field trials and swim races the 1st weekened of Oct every years
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input. I would think several events will benefit from the Kenton games being cancelled.

Lack of insurance is a very likely suspect. I know that getting gun show insurance is tough (one or two companies writing policies). I can't imagine adding the concerts, alcohol, camping to the mix. Probably one company writing policies, they rate could be out of reach.

Pete
That's what they have done different in the last few years...concerts.

That's disconcerting :eek:

· Registered
35 Posts
thanks for the welcome

Here is what I can share with you all as being fact if there will be any activities in the future at Kenton it will be dog events only and or maybe concerts

I do know in 2006 I was told that the county raised the taxes on the property and also started taxing the bldgs

any of you that was there in 07 seen some of the bdlgs missing :yikes: this was why

here is what many may or may not know Eddie Ross was a coonhunter then got in to trialing dogs, his son Jimmy continues the legacy

Kenton nationals was and always will remain a dog event as long as any events go on there

most seen Eddie and or Jimmie once a year ,us Dog men seen/see the Ross's on a weekly(weekend) basis traveling the race circuits in and around Ohio. Jimmies Daughter and Son in law also race dogs

if you want direct info about Kenton get the info from the dog men first even local people here that do the flea market part of Kenton has many theories and facts wrong on the topic

· Registered
5,093 Posts
I would stop at Valley view when I took my daughter to OU each year. that was 4 years ago and I did not see much in terms of dogs. or nothing in dog events. It was what I would call a small flea market in a field. I could walk it in 20 minutes. yes, some guns and tackle. but its not worth a long drive itself.

the Mahoning County Coonhunters event, the weekend after Labor Day is a much bigger event with water races, lots of dogs for sale, Their problem is they did not buy enough land and now cant get adjoining property. Parking is too small for the growth of the event. so dont expect it to get bigger.'
Its located on US 224 between Canfield Ohio and Ellworth Ohio. like 15 miles from Youngstown.

· Registered
35 Posts
I would stop at Valley view when I took my daughter to OU each year. that was 4 years ago and I did not see much in terms of dogs. or nothing in dog events. It was what I would call a small flea market in a field. I could walk it in 20 minutes. yes, some guns and tackle. but its not worth a long drive itself.

the Mahoning County Coonhunters event, the weekend after Labor Day is a much bigger event with water races, lots of dogs for sale, Their problem is they did not buy enough land and now cant get adjoining property. Parking is too small for the growth of the event. so dont expect it to get bigger.'
Its located on US 224 between Canfield Ohio and Ellworth Ohio. like 15 miles from Youngstown.
that valley view thing has just got off to a good start i am venturing to say with Kenton being defunct it will get bigger ?

as for the mahoning county event we know that on the circuit as "Canfield" and you're correct it is a big to do

kenton and Ft. Recovery is the only places now that the swim and field trial guys come together as one, even though they share the same magazine for event dates, results etc

apart from Labor day I can rattle off 30 events not mentioned here that goes falls into the field trial fleamarket / water race/flea market events

the sad thing is the dog part of these events is dying a fast death as the old timers are just that old and no young people are getting into it 95% of the people involved are 2nd and 3rd generation participants

the best place to replicate kenton like I said is Johnstown Ohio on labor day or Ft.Recovery on the 1st weekend in Oct HERE YOU have field trials, swim races flea markets etc etc

Johnstown used to have trials but as the place grew the field trial tracks was shortened and no place left to run the dogs they do have trials there but it is apart from labor day weekend

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't know if anyone saw this or not but looks like Max is gonna give it a run at the fair grounds. He does a pretty good job the 1st weekend in May and October at the farm so I wish him the best at getting this going:

http://www.limaohio.com/news/dog-39034-lima-event.html

Man plans **** dog event in Lima

Water dog races, flea market coming to fairgrounds on Labor Day weekend

July 6, 2009 - 11:13 AM

Beth L. Jokinen

LIMA - While Kenton will no longer play host to the national **** dog trials, a similar event is coming to Lima.
Max's Water Dog Races, Swap Meet and Flea Market will be held over Labor Day weekend at the Allen County Fairgrounds.
Along with water dog races and a dog treeing contest, organizer Max McCluer said the event will include family activities, such as horseshoe pitching, cornhole contests, a petting zoo and horse show.
As soon as McCluer, who has run a flea market for 20 years, heard the 50-plus-year-old Kenton event was ending, he started seeing if there was local interest. The response has been overwhelming, he said.
Vending spaces are available, as well as camping spaces. For information, call 419-225-8545, 419-230-9134 or 419-230-7405.

· Registered
14 Posts
the sad thing is the dog part of these events is dying a fast death as the old timers are just that old and no young people are getting into it 95% of the people involved are 2nd and 3rd generation participants
I have family members who have been racing dogs since before I was around and very sucessful at it. Everytime I ask them to help me get into it they just say "iIs not worth it anymore and your better off investing your time in something else"

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Anybody planning on going to Lima for the "Water Races" and flea market ?

I hear the response has been tremendous and vendors and camping spaces are filling up quickly.

· Registered
15 Posts
[email protected] is off-- HERE IS WHERE EVERY ONE IS GOING !!FLEA MKT.dog races - $7000

(LIMA OHIO) ---CLEAN RESTROOMS--FREE CLEAN SHOWERS--PAVED ROADS)

MAX’S
FLEA MARKET - SWAP MEET AND WATER DOG RACES. LABOR DAY WEEK END. SEPTEMBER 5,6 &7 2009 ALLEN COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS --LIMA OHIO !!

VENDERS SET UP ON SEPTEMBER 4TH. IN DOOR AND OUT DOOR LOTS AVALIBLE.

VENDER LOTS $ 30.00 EACH. LOT SIZE 20'X30' THIS GETS 2 PEOPLE IN WITH EACH PAID LOT. ELECTRIC $ 15.00 EXTRA IF WANTED.

CAMPING SECTION $ 30.00 FOR THE WEEK END. THIS GETS 2 PEOPLE IN. ELECTRIC $ 15.00 EXTRA EACH LOT, IF WANTED. NO SELLING IN CAMPING LOTS.

GARUANTEED SPACE WITH PREPAY.

GOLF CARTS ONLY !! WE WILL HAVE PEOPLE HERE TO INSPECT THEM FOR A SMALL FEE. PLEASE BRING PROOF OF INSURANCE.

BUYERS $ 5.00 GATE FEE.

PLENTY OF FOOD.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD !!

GET YOUR MONEY IN SOON, LOTS ARE SELLING QUICK !!!

CALL FOR MORE INFO. 419-225-8545 / 419-230-7405 / 419-230-9134

EVENTS
WATER DOG RACES
DOG TREEING CONTEST
HORSESHOE PITCHING
CORNHOLE CONTEST
PETTING ZOO

---CLEAN RESTROOMS-- FREE CLEAN SHOWERS--PAVED ROADS
EXIT #125 OFF i75 --GO EAST 1 MILE ON STATE ROUTE 309. the fair grounds is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE.

SEE THE FULL CRY MAGAZINE FOR THE 1 PAGE AD ON ALL THE DETAILS ON THE WATER DOG RACES !!!

water dog races - $7,000 guaranteed cash finals (LIMA OHIO) MASTER OF HOUNDS: ROY UNDERWOOD

· Registered
2,177 Posts
Anyone want to look me up I will be there the whole weekend. I have the 3 spots just south of the grandstands. If you are going into the infield you will file between my 3 spots and the grandstands to enter. Easy to find. Besides that, I will have a white stepvan with huge lettering "Hicks Lawn Services, LLC" and billboard display sitting there. Will also see my 25' gooseneck trailer with tree stands, probably my dually and camper sitting there. For those camping, I am bringing my smokers to sell, as well as having my personal smoker setup and using it all weekend. Bring your steaks, burgers, beer, and whatever else and introduce yourselves. I would love to meet more of you guys in person. This is not an advertisement for my stuff. I could care less if you buy anything. Just stop in and introduce yourself so I can get to know more than a username. Phil

· Registered
15 Posts
OVER 800 VENDER LOTS RENTED SO FAR !!!!

-- [email protected] is off --

HERE IS WHERE EVERY ONE IS GOING !!
FLEA MAREKET / water dog races -$7,000 guaranteed cash finals (LIMA OHIO)---CLEAN RESTROOMS--FREE CLEAN SHOWERS--PAVED ROADS)

MAX’S
FLEA MARKET - SWAP MEET AND WATER DOG RACES. LABOR DAY WEEK END. SEPTEMBER 5,6 &7 2009 ALLEN COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS --LIMA OHIO !!

VENDERS SET UP ON SEPTEMBER 3RD AND 4TH. IN DOOR AND OUT DOOR LOTS AVALIBLE.

VENDER LOTS $ 30.00 EACH. LOT SIZE 20'X30' THIS GETS 2 PEOPLE IN WITH EACH PAID LOT. ELECTRIC $ 15.00 EXTRA IF WANTED.

CAMPING SECTION $ 30.00 FOR THE WEEK END. THIS GETS 2 PEOPLE IN. ELECTRIC $ 15.00 EXTRA EACH LOT, IF WANTED. NO SELLING IN CAMPING LOTS.

GARUANTEED SPACE WITH PREPAY.

GOLF CARTS ONLY !! WE WILL HAVE PEOPLE HERE TO INSPECT THEM FOR A SMALL FEE. PLEASE BRING PROOF OF INSURANCE.

BUYERS $ 5.00 GATE FEE.

PLENTY OF FOOD.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD !!

GET YOUR MONEY IN SOON, LOTS ARE SELLING QUICK !!!

CALL FOR MORE INFO. 419-225-8545 / 419-230-7405 / 419-230-9134

EVENTS
WATER DOG RACES
DOG TREEING CONTEST
HORSESHOE PITCHING
CORNHOLE CONTEST
PETTING ZOO

---CLEAN RESTROOMS-- FREE CLEAN SHOWERS--PAVED ROADS
EXIT #125 OFF i75 --GO EAST 1 MILE ON STATE ROUTE 309. the fair grounds is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE.

SEE THE FULL CRY MAGAZINE FOR THE 1 PAGE AD ON ALL THE DETAILS ON THE WATER DOG RACES !!!

water dog races -$7,000 guaranteed cash finals (LIMA OHIO)
MASTER OF HOUNDS: ROY UNDERWOOD

· Registered
776 Posts
Is there a list of vendors posted on the net anywhere? When I go to these things I like to have an idea of the spots I need to check out so I know how much time I have to look at everything else!

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Went all day Saturday and still didn't see all of it. Lotsa vendors/dealers/flea marketers all over the whole fairgrounds - even had to put them around the track and some were set up inside the animal barns. Merchant's building and youth buildings were all filled but one as well.
Twas a fresh breath of air compared to Kenton - NO MUD,paved walkways,clean restrooms and showers. Admission price was $5.00 and worth it. Good food vendors set up as well.
I didn't see as many people carrying guns around as I do at Kenton but selection was pretty good from all the people set up in their booths and campers. I heard that the tally was just under 1,000 vendor spaces rented out. I imagine being the first year that some walk-ins were leary of carrying guns in for sale or trade.
Atmosphere was a little different as well. Was more "family friendly" it seemed to me.(My wife enjoyed it and my boys had a blast) No beer sales on site but carry-ins were allowed. I think that cut down on a lotta drunks running around. They also closed the gates at 7pm.
Overall I was pleased and hope Max did well. Will be nice to see it continue on as an annual event. I heard alot of positives about how nice the facilities were @ the fairgrounds.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts