Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving some thought to purchasing a kayak for fishing but the suggestion most offered is to try various kayaks to see which one feels best to me. A few people have mentioned that sometimes dealers will offer "demo days."
Is anyone aware of any demo days or dealer who have kayaks that can be tried out?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check out their web site.

I just discovered that Ocean Kayaks is offering a $100 Visa cash card to people purchasing kayaks when the the total is $799 or more. Ocean Kayak is owned by Johnson Outdoors which also owns Necky Kayaks and Old Town Canoes and Kayaks. I'm guessing the same promotion applies to them as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Here is a dealer for the Columbus area and their demo schedule:

http://clintonvilleoutfitters.com/

Here is one in Chilicothe:

http://www.paddlepowerchillicothe.com/

Both are good solid merchants to do business with.

Also, what do you plan to float in more, flat water like ponds, lakes and resevoirs, or flowing water like rivers and creeks? Are you a big guy? Today's kayaks are super stable and there are some awesome recreational paddle craft out there right now. I usually advise folks to avoid the "angler" version. It's far better to outfit and customize the rod holders and accessories to where you want/need them and not where the manufacturer thinks might be good. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Those are nearby and might be a good opportunity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies for not offering a better response. I was actually packing for a trip to FL and was using my smartphone. That's why the responses were so short.

I spend a lot of time on the gulf coast and much of my kayaking time will take place in saltwater bays and brackish water canals. I had done quite a lot of researching but hadn't had much of an opportunity to try anything out. That all changed during this trip when I had the opportunity to try out a variety of kayaks. In the end my wife and son purchased a kayak - a 14' Wilderness Systems sit-in - for my birthday gift. I was actually thinking about getting a sit-on (easy to get on and off in the water) of less than 12' (easier to transport in my F-150) but the WS-14 was just too darn nice!

Anyway, here's the new toy with me explaining to the mutt that he'd better not break any more points unless he wanted to become shark bait!

BTW, the fishing was pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Nice! I think you'll like that yak. WS makes a great boat! Some good fish too. ;)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Nice yak and dog. Looks like he's giving you the stroke cadence.

Next trip down try the lee side of Sanibel Island. It's another great fishing spot.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice yak and dog. Looks like he's giving you the stroke cadence.

Next trip down try the lee side of Sanibel Island. It's another great fishing spot.

RGJZ06

I've heard good things about Sanibel. The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that I have free housing on the beach at Cape San Blas. Five minutes away is boat access to the St. Joe Bay and some really fine fishing and scalloping waters.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I've heard good things about Sanibel. The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that I have free housing on the beach at Cape San Blas. Five minutes away is boat access to the St. Joe Bay and some really fine fishing and scalloping waters.
Just thought it would be a good place to go with your new rig. It's four hours from where I live. It's just an all around good place to vacation, fish if you want and relax, heavy on the relax.

I used to take my boat down there. We would motor around the Gulf until around noon then head over to the inland side in the afternoon. Nice and smooth water on that side of the island. Good fishing all around that island and Captiva. Sure I spelled that wrong. It's just north of Sanibel, Redfish Pass is between the two islands. It's somewhat narrow and you just coast through there with the current. I'd work the boat through there while my son would fish it. Out of staters pay a lot of money to fish there. It would be free with your rig.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
15 Posts
Riverside Kayak Connection in Wyandotte, Michigan also does many demo events. Nice store, nice people. I LOVE my kayak!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts