Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last 2 years of live bait fishing Lake Erie from shore, I've used Kahle hooks in size 2 and 2/0. Boy, I'd like to shake the hand of the guy/gal who invented these hooks!

If your not familiar with them, they are similar to circle hooks.

Hooks have an offset eye (not shank) and they pull in a straight line. The point of the hook is in line with the eye and drastically reduces bottom snagging. I'm not kidding, they drastically reduce snagging on rocks for us.

For years we've bottom fished with live bait using the standard hooks and always had trouble with snags, especially from Gobes. (How to fish live bait and avoid Gobes is another thread).

Also found that Kahle's help the more inexperienced anglers avoid so many swallowed hooks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Gobies are a major pain when shore fishing. Thanks for the recommendation. Will have to give them a try. Anything that will prevent those things from snagging the hook on a rock (or freeing it from there) has to be good.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike,

We avoid lots of gobie hangups by keeping the worm/minnow moving. We tie a hook to line and a sufficient split shot to get it to the bottom. Slowly pull/reel the bait across the bottom. Once you stop the movement -its gobie trouble. When you feel the gobie tapping, slowly pull the bait out of its mouth and continue. Its surprising how quickly they'll give up. Sure they'll follow and try again, but keep pulling it away from them. Once you let the bait sit still, they take the hook under a rock.

When fishing a dock or pier, I use a perch spreader with #10 hooks baited with worm to purposely catch gobie. Hook a gobie through the lips with a Kahle and split shot about 12" above the hook on another rod. Cast it out, let it hit bottom and crawl it or slowly jig it. Smallmouth love it and so do bottom feeders.

Make a worm harness with a single Kahle, hooked with a gobie, and crawl it. SM seem to shy away from a spinner blade, but kids (and kids like me!) will have lots of fun with the bottom feeders.

When the lake hands you lemons, make lemonade!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
We usually use a 1 oz. sinker and still fish. Seems no matter how high you tie on a snelled hook, the gobies go crazy w/ the bait. Never thought of "trolling" like you described. Will have to give it a go. It's amazing what good bait those things make. We sometimes cut them in half (if we don't feed 'em to the gulls) or use whole, like you mentioned. Gonna try your method sometime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts