Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was finally able to order all of the pieces over a 5 month period and sneak them into the house one part at a time. Even the wife didn't get too suspicious over the small packages.:whistle:

My 14 year old boy and I finally got a chance to sit down this weekend and put all the parts together. It was a fun project to do together. I think it turned out pretty nice. We shot it today and it worked flawlessly. The suppressor, I had previously and can switch it between my .308 and this gun.

In the future, I would still like to get an eotech sight with a magnifier for it, but cost wise, the red dot I have on it will have to do for now.

It's an addicting hobby. I am already thinking about what I want to do for my next build.:bouncy:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be interested in knowing what difference there is between the suppressor on or off. Is the accuracy noticeable?
Soundwise, it is a big difference. My boy and I rapid fired 30 rounds and my wife inside the house never heard us shooting. When you are next to it, it sounds like a .22. You typically don't even need hearing protection. My neighbors appreciate the reduced sound when I shoot.

As far as accuracy, it may chance the point of impact slightly. On my. 308, it hits about 2 inches low and right with the suppressor on vs off, but it groups there. Accuracy overall, is unchanged. I can still hit dimes at 100 yards and pop cans at 600 yards with it on or off. I just need to adjust my scope for the POI change.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that a Yankee Hill forehand? I like the A3 flat top look....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Yes, it's a Yankee Hill quad rail and Yankee Hill Suppressor.

The upper and lower receivers are Seekins precision billet upper and lower. I liked the look of them vs. a standard upper and lower.

The barrel is black rain ordinance.

The stock, foregrip, rail covers, and back up sights are magpul.

The bolt carrier group is Spikes tactical nickel boron.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just asking. How much do you have in it? And did you have to register it and did you need a permit for the suppresser .

Not counting the suppressor which I have had for about a year now, I have around $1,400-$1,500 in this gun with the sight. If I had gone with a standard upper and lower and traditional bolt carrier, It would have been about $400-$500 less. I liked the look of these better though

I didn't have to register it, but you do have to have the lower receiver shipped to an FFL when you buy it, and he does the paper work transfer, just like you are buying any other gun. The lower receiver is the only part the ATF considers as a gun. The rest (90%) you can buy and have shipped straight to your house and put it together however you want.

The suppressor is a different story. You do have to go through alot of paperwork for it, but they are perfectly legal to own.

You have to get fingerprinted, have your local sheriff or police chief sign off on it, and then mail it in with a $200 check for the tax stamp. Then you wait about 6 months until it is approved and they send you your tax stamp. Then you finally get to go and pick up your new toy.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've always wanted to build one. Is it very difficult? Wheres the best place to buy parts? Also, do you have to buy the tax stamp only once or is there an occurring fee?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've always wanted to build one. Is it very difficult? Wheres the best place to buy parts? Also, do you have to buy the tax stamp only once or is there an occurring fee?

The tax stamp is only for the suppressor(silencer). If you don't plan on getting a suppressor, there is no tax stamp to build an AR.

If you do get a suppressor, it is a one time $200 cost.

It is very easy to build one. I have about 2 hours of time total into building mine. There is 2 or 3 specialty tools you need (action block, AR multi wrench, and some pin punches) which will run about $70-$80 total.

There are several good resources online showing how to build one. AR15.com has lots of good info.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/how-to-build-ar-15-rifle

I bought most of my parts from joeboboutfitters.com and midwayusa.com
joebobs will give 5% discount to ar15.com members.

I have bought many of my lower receivers from Aimsurplus.com here in Ohio.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=577&name=Lower+Receivers

They have them for as low as $59, but they are currently out of stock. They do get them in fairly frequently though. That is the only part you will need to have shipped to your local FFL to do a transfer. Everything else, just ship to your house.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Cool.
I've shot a couple with silencers and talked to a guy about getting one. The thing I really don't care for is it opens you up to inspections by the BATF. They are nice suppressed though. From what the guy with them said, his were sighted in for the suppressor. I guess the gas capture throws them off a bit, at least his did. He also said you can get subsonic ammo in 556? Or maybe it was just for the pistols he had? Do they make s subsonic in 556/233? Do you have an issue with silenced vs. not?
I'll check out those sites. I own several, but I've never built one. My buddy is also a FFL dealer so he won't charge me.
Great, somethin else I can't afford to get into.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The lower must be the only thing with a serial number.

You must make some kind of list if you own a silencer I assume. I have several AR's so I might be on someone's list as well.

Nice project and nice gun. I like the idea that it was a project your son helped you with.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool.
I've shot a couple with silencers and talked to a guy about getting one. The thing I really don't care for is it opens you up to inspections by the BATF. They are nice suppressed though. From what the guy with them said, his were sighted in for the suppressor. I guess the gas capture throws them off a bit, at least his did. He also said you can get subsonic ammo in 556? Or maybe it was just for the pistols he had? Do they make s subsonic in 556/233? Do you have an issue with silenced vs. not?
I'll check out those sites. I own several, but I've never built one. My buddy is also a FFL dealer so he won't charge me.
Great, somethin else I can't afford to get into.

I've heard that about the atf as well, and I guess it's a possibility, but in actuality, it doesn't seem to happen. When I was looking to get my suppressor, I was on several silencer relared forums. That topic came up frequently. No one had ever had that happen to them though, or know of a case where it did. Knowing guys that have multiple class3 items, i would probably be pretty low on their list with only one suppressor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts