Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Jacklighting, spotlighting using your vehicle to shine on deer in fields

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  TimSr 
#1 ·
Ohio law:
1533.161 Prohibiting jacklighting.

No person shall throw or cast the rays of a spotlight or other artificial light from any vehicle into any field, woodland, or forest while having in his possession a hunting device, or throw or cast the rays of a spotlight or other artificial light from any vehicle into any field, woodland, or forest for the purpose of locating a wild animal.

This section does not apply to law enforcement officers, wildlife officers, military personnel, and officers or employees of the department of natural resources while in the performance of their duties, or to any landowner or lessee having a reason to use a light while engaged in surveillance or protection of his property.

An officer whose duty it is to enforce this chapter and Chapter 1531. of the Revised Code and division rules may arrest a person whom he has reasonable grounds to believe is violating this section, search the vehicle for firearms or other hunting implements in the possession or under the control of that person, and seize the same.

Effective Date: 10-20-1994

I realize we all like to view deer. For me it has become an a problem with trucks driving down my road slow and stopping. Sometimes back and forth at night. Recently a truck from that state up North pulled into my driveway to shine his headlights on a deer in the field next to my house. What are your thoughts? Am I just too uptight? My friend told me to just relax. My real fear is someone with only a number of days to hunt with his/her expensive tag may cross the line to bring meat home. Although I haven't heard any gun shots, I feel it won't be too difficult for someone to shoot a deer from the road and nobody realize what happened. Do I enjoy seeing deer, of course! But, some only like to see what's in the field and others will try to kill what they find. It is frustrating knowing people are stopping right outside your home late at night!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm with you on this one. I've had people stop in front of my place to "look" at the deer. One idiot even took a shot one night and I came unglued! He must have talked with his other buddies because I haven't had a problem since.

We also leave a light on now, so you can see that theirs a house in this woods.

#5 ·
That was the first thing I did afterwards. This is the first step to nipping this problem. I live near a couple campgrounds. You can probably figure where some of the problem resides.

Reactions: ohihunter2014
#10 ·
I don't like spotlighting either but just to play a little devils advocate especially since you mention folks from out of state. Spotlighting is not illegal in every state. When I lived in PA it used to be a major pastime. Living in the country with not much to do? Load up the pickup truck with folks and drive around spotlighting deer. Even a lot of folks from Ohio don't realize it is illegal.

#12 ·
I remember being a kid and going to pa dad would put all us kids in the car and we would just drive for a few hours spotlighting deer. It really was a lot of fun. If it were legal here in Ohio I would do it. As long as your not lighting people's houses up and had no weapons I don't see a problem with it. ( if it were legal) I'm sure people who went to pa and new it was legal they would have a light to.

#13 ·
It is impossible to separate those that are just looking, and those that are looking for an easy kill . . . until it is too late, and shots have been fired. That is why it is illegal, and why it must be enforced. I, personally, report any suspicious activity in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: ohihunter2014
#14 ·
Pennsylvania's regulations in spotlight use are reasonable, especially as regards the permitted/non-permitted time of use and lighting up of structures.

However, I would not be surprised to see that permission eventually eliminated as imagined antler loss is the largest reason driving the dislike of spotlighting deer.
More much ado about little.....no wonder DNRs have time constraints when dealing with actual matters of importance.

#15 ·
As a kid growing up I always looked forward to our annual PA trip where we always went out spotlighting. Obviously bad form, and probably illegal to light up somebody's home, but otherwise, I can't understand the harm. Ohio's laws get too ridiculous, when you can be cited for shining your vehicle headlights on a deer. I'm guilty of stopping the car, and even backing up to keep soem deer lit up for a few momonts of enjoyment whene there is no traffic.

I understand the intent of the law, but like most gun laws, adding the lessor offense does nothing to deter the criminal. Do poachers who would shoot a deer at night really care that using a spotlight is illegal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.