Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always want to be the first to post that and be wrong about the rut (Yes, I know it's not on). Anyway, I sat this morning and saw 6 but I was able to watch the show of a small buck bully a button buck. After a couple of minutes of proving he was boss the small buck stood under my stand for about a minute and grunted after chasing the BB. I could also hear the does grunt backing at him.

Registered
Seems like a good rut report thread anyway. Two more weeks and it鈥檒l really start heating up. I鈥檓 still seeing bucks of all different ages in groups. I鈥檝e moved most of my cameras to scrapes.. one scrape in particular has received a lot of attention. Several series of photos showing bucks sparring, a few lasted several minutes.

Deer Nature Elk Organism Mammal
Deer Elk Organism Style Black-and-white

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like a good rut report thread anyway. Two more weeks and it鈥檒l really start heating up. I鈥檓 still seeing bucks of all different ages in groups. I鈥檝e moved most of my cameras to scrapes.. one scrape in particular has received a lot of attention. Several series of photos showing bucks sparring, a few lasted several minutes.

View attachment 55158 View attachment 55159
Zero scrapes or rubs in my woods but that's normal. It's strictly a travel corridor so it'll be another couple of weeks before they start marking.

Registered
All that I have seen so far is turkey scrapes. It wont be long.

Registered
I had two 140s in front of me (no shot) yesterday morning. I was shaking, trying to get a shot at one. Then a 160 came by me chasing a doe, all swollen up, I could smell him from the tree stand.

But seriously folks, we are about 18 days away from that. As if that ever happens. :)

Registered

View attachment 55158 View attachment 55159
The old "Carry your own licking branch" trick (First pick). Smart old buck!!

Registered
The rut is the same time every year within a week, been proven, through research with fawns, the majority are conceived the same time every year, with the peak being mid November ! Chasing starts about Halloween, give or take and climaxes in about two to three weeks, it can vary a little, but the researchers say by no more then a week, from year to year. The Moon has no effect at all on the rut, that too has been confirmed. I see the most chasing the second and third week of November year after year. I am 69 and trapped many years for fox, having an auto trapline and covering a couple hundred miles a day, and all those years I would see the chasing the same weeks, some the first week of November but the most would be the second and third weeks.

Registered
The rut is the same time every year within a week, been proven, through research with fawns, the majority are conceived the same time every year, with the peak being mid November ! Chasing starts about Halloween, give or take and climaxes in about two to three weeks, it can vary a little, but the researchers say by no more then a week, from year to year. The Moon has no effect at all on the rut, that too has been confirmed. I see the most chasing the second and third week of November year after year. I am 69 and trapped many years for fox, having an auto trapline and covering a couple hundred miles a day, and all those years I would see the chasing the same weeks, some the first week of November but the most would be the second and third weeks.
My neighbor down the street told me the rut already started though. Science be damned :)

Registered
My neighbor down the street told me the rut already started though. Science be damned :)
I have guys say the same thing if they see a buck trotting behind a doe, the bucks are ready and may look at times and actually are chasing a doe perhaps, but these early ones are just trying to get close enough to smell the spot ! The rut doesn't start until she says it does !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts