Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent reports of Asian Carp eDNA being found in several bodies of water that border the great lakes, do you think the government is doing enough to try and stop this? IMO, heck no!

·
Registered
661 Posts
They have found DNA evidence in last 10 yrs in the western basin. I don't know if these carp can survive the cold deep water of the great lakes. But no the govt isn't doing enough. I would net like crazy to get rid of themdoesnt really matter because birds will carry fish eggs wherever they want to

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
At best they're dragging their feet. At worst, they're turning a blind eye. My honest feeling is that they really couldn't care less about some foreign fish making its home in the Great Lakes. They're just paying lip service to try and passify the people who are doing their best to stop the invasion. That's the purpose of their "study"...:whistle:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
What can they do? Raw reality...not much with the technology we have right now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have found DNA evidence in last 10 yrs in the western basin. I don't know if these carp can survive the cold deep water of the great lakes. But no the govt isn't doing enough. I would net like crazy to get rid of themdoesnt really matter because birds will carry fish eggs wherever they want to
I bet they can survive in Erie and St. Clair just fine.

·
22,521 Posts
Since approx. 79% of our "stimulus" money was spent on companies overseas over the last 4 years-maybe we can keep some of it here and create jobs to handle this issue.

Has our government done enough?- IMO- Nope!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If it don't make them MONEY than they don't care. They made a Ton of money off the Asian people . If they could figure a way to make some MONEY off the Asian Carp than they would be standing in-line.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I agree they havent done enough.

But - there is no solution to the problem that will work, or keep the populations in check, at this time. They take over, and you cant stop them. We can net them, we can shock them and shoot them. But us bowfisherman have been watching them for years, and trust me, they are fast. They reproduce a few times a year, drop millions of fry, and they are efficient at it. We have seen them on the Ohio as far north as Marietta this year. In ten years, they will have flooded the entire Ohio, and it will be just as the Mississippi. They are coming for the Great Lakes, and there they will flourish. The carp in Lake Erie do extremely well, the best in the state.

We need to allocate proper funding and research to finding a way to slow them down, and make attempts to keep the numbers down. But we will not stop them.

Where was everyones concern 10-15 years ago when it was brought it up by bowfisherman then...when the populations were still lower? Funny how nobody cared then, and now care only because they are finally going to be affected by it. Unfortunately, concern not widespread as it should have been, and now it is too late.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If there is no solution, no way of stopping them entirely, then the powers that be should be allocating the necessary funding for finding a way. One proposal (shutting the Chicago locks) was already rejected. We'll never know if that could've been effective. There are other routes to the Great Lakes, I know, but those locks are one of the fastest.

It's frustrating when you read and hear, "they're coming...they're coming" and never hear of any efforts to stop them. Then the feds tell us they're conducting a "study". :rolleyes: By the time they're done with their study, we may all be taking up a bow and arrow.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i've heard these carp are good eating and they are trying to get commercial fishermen interested in netting them and eateries to serve them in their establishments...so they are planning on making money off em too...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i've heard these carp are good eating and they are trying to get commercial fishermen interested in netting them and eateries to serve them in their establishments...so they are planning on making money off em too...:biggrin:
Bigheads are decent eating. Silvers are not, however, asians do eat them. Silvers are the problem carp.

·
22,521 Posts
It's frustrating when you read and hear, "they're coming...they're coming" and never hear of any efforts to stop them. Then the feds tell us they're conducting a "study". :rolleyes: By the time they're done with their study, we may all be taking up a bow and arrow.
By the time their done with "the study" and spent the millions for it- we'll be out of money and time to do anything about it.:whistle:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
By the time their done with "the study" and spent the millions for it- we'll be out of money and time to do anything about it.:whistle:
That's about right.

And, coonie, I'd put money on the speculation that there would be very little market on Asian carp as fine cuisine. Yes, I'm sure there is a market to the Asian community and some commercial fishers have found a niche, but don't expect that netting them for market will be an effective means of control.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
so you all want to cut down the govt as you always do but you just sit back in your chair and do nothing but complain...tell me your plan...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
This coming from a guy who hasn't shot a deer in how many decades?
C'mon ****. We'll have to have a friendly competition come the State Shoot.

Back to the topic on a serious note.

I don't get millions of the taxpayers dollars. If I did, I'm certain I could put a plan in place. This is the WORST thing that could ever happen to a fishery. We're screwed. Sorry you have so much faith in the state, I don't. I've seen their bs first hand. Just give em more money and they'll fix everything.
I'm doing what little I can when I can. It's going to take a miracle and miracles aren't in the states or my power to preform. I heard there was a guy once who could turn water into wine; haven't heard anything from him since then.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i love my country...its that simple...theres good times and bad times...its just how it is...cutting down everything thats related to our govt.isnt my thang...theres some thangs i agree with somethings i dont...i dont see you standing in front of the white house protesting it...or the state house...all i see is complaining to a bunch here...no one here will do anything but complain back to you...get out of the box and take your complaints to someone that can do somethang...i think its a very tough situation to deal with.almost an impossible one...so tell me ,what will you do to stop it then go tell someone that can do somethang about it...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You dont see it because everyone here has been fairly ignorant to the issue up until now. The BAA and bowfisherman for years have been voicing their opinions and concerns to the asian carp issue to the government, both state and federal.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts