Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made our first summer time trip up to our property a few weeks ago and we put out only two cams after having two others not turn on with new batteries. But as we put the cams out in our mineral sites, I got to thinking about the lack of buck pictures we have had in previous years in these spots. Both spots are incredibly thick, we literally had to cut our way into one. These spots in previous years have older bucks showing up until around the end of May, first of June then they vanish with only 1.5 year olds showing up. Then around October the first older bucks appear again in hard antler and on a regular basis(not coming to the minerals but they start re-using the area). Is it possible that the area we hunt is simply too thick for the bucks that sport decent antlers, through the summer months? I know here in NC we see nearly the same thing happen, and the old timers say that the bucks move to field edges because their growing antlers are tender, is this the case here?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I see the same thing where i hunt. it's rare for me to get any pics of a decent buck/if any between june-mid Sept. Checked my cameras on Sunday and had 341 pics of a doe and her fawn mostly i dont kno where the bucks go but they always show up around Oct

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
22,520 Posts
Mature whitetail bucks have summer areas they prefer. Typically these will be close to food sources and good cover-happens alot. They are very solitary at this time and as usual a mature buck will be very discrete. They will even bed in corn fields if they feel safe there. Think back to how many discussions have transpired here and on other forums of hunters "glassing" fields at dusk during the late summer.

They tend to have specific areas they like for the summer and move accordingly as early fall comes about and with acorn production beginning to peak. Their feeding pattern will change again and into the pre-rut, when at that time the rut dictates their movement.

Your thick areas may be "safe zones" which they use when leaves fall and less cover is available elsewhere. You have to determine the current reason why they use it at a certain time of the year,and then hunt accordingly. Without seeing it and understanding what else is on the property, it's hard for me to really give a definitive answer, but based on what you are saying, it's a good probability when human pressure picks up they begin to utilize the thicker areas that you mention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts