Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't it 2007 when we had that excessively hot and dry summer and we lost of a LOT of whitetails to the EHD or blue tongue disease. So, are we hoping and praying that doesn't happen again this year. If I recall, it seems conditions are similar. I hope I am wrong. Our deer population certainly doesn't need anymore challenges.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Man, don't remind me. My camp/area took a big hit. I hope we don't have another episode. I think the ODNR DOW really swept the last outbreak under the rug. It was a lot worse then they indicated- JMO. ;)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
if the creeks and holes are drying up and the weather remains hot it forces the deer to drink out of the same spot we could see more kill offs from disease...i heard once a few deer die every year from this...hopefully it isnt going to be bad this year...hopefully july and august are normal monthes and we get some good rain fast...this coming week is suppose to be cooler,more normal weather...my summer scouting should have started by now and i hope to be out there this coming weekend and see the conditions for myself...i do know the rains we've had recently have good water in the creeks here in columbus and we've had 2 weeks in 90s and 100s...and from what my relatives tell me theyve had a good amount of rain from the recent storms down in athens...but the feeder creeks in the drainages in the hills dry up fast but the larger creeks in the valley floors i suspect have enough water in them...not sure all sections of ohio are in that condition...seems its the se part always gets hit hard though when we have long droughts...hopefully nature done her thang to help them...hopefully i can get down and see for myself...i just got my hair buzzed to find "tickies"easier...theres a lot of them down there...:D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I was in Ohio yesterday scouting and putting cams out and creeks were full. No problems as of yet. Atleast in the area I was in.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Screw the EHD this year. The bigger threat is the state might be raisin the tag limits. Desease wont take these deer out, man will

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I was in Ohio yesterday scouting and putting cams out and creeks were full. No problems as of yet. Atleast in the area I was in.
thats great to hear...i really wanted to get down there this weekend mainly to check that out...i can see a lot of deer on the larger valley edges to be closer to the main creeks and beaver ponds...just to cut down on travel to water on these hundred degree days...theyll be making a lot of trips to the creeks...a good time to find big boys...dang i'm tempted to head down right now...this thread has prompted that...:D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
All creeks around me are almost average level. I have a natural spring by my house and its about 20 degrees cooler at it. Water down there is usually a solid 50 degrees. Its pretty nice and I bet the big boys I seen last year are hangim there

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
"Screw the EHD this year. The bigger threat is the state might be raisin the tag limits. Desease wont take these deer out, man will"

I disagree. The tag/bag limits are already set for the upcoming season-nothing will be raised. Tag limits is a different discussion. ;)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
"Screw the EHD this year. The bigger threat is the state might be raisin the tag limits. Desease wont take these deer out, man will"

I disagree. The tag/bag limits are already set for the upcoming season-nothing will be raised. Tag limits is a different discussion. ;)
I seen on the news a few weeks ago where they are wantin to raise deer and turkey bag limits. It may be for next season...idk but I think it should stay the same

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I seen on the news a few weeks ago where they are wantin to raise deer and turkey bag limits. It may be for next season...idk but I think it should stay the same

i dont like saying this but everythang else is going up...i dont see why tag prices wont...including non res...seems a lot squawk about wanting a non res.tag increase but think we should keep ohios tag the same...and in the name of helping wildlife...like we shouldnt help it...but let others...anyway expect to see increases in the next few years...its the sign of the times...but who cares...it might weed out a few poor folks...thats what we really want...right...

back to the deer herd getting diseases due to this hot weather...from what i've heard i feel more positive about the creeks having water...so i feel a lil better...for now...one other thang in our favor is lower deer numbers...:biggrin:

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
i dont like saying this but everythang else is going up...i dont see why tag prices wont...including non res...seems a lot squawk about wanting a non res.tag increase but think we should keep ohios tag the same...and in the name of helping wildlife...like we shouldnt help it...but let others...anyway expect to see increases in the next few years...its the sign of the times...but who cares...it might weed out a few poor folks...thats what we really want...right...

back to the deer herd getting diseases due to this hot weather...from what i've heard i feel more positive about the creeks having water...so i feel a lil better...for now...one other thang in our favor is lower deer numbers...:biggrin:
You got lost there coonie...
buckhunter1 was talking about the number of tags allowed per hunter, not the cost of the tags :coco:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i see it...:nono:that certainly isnt needed...i hope everybuddy on this site can limit theirselves to one deer this yr...especially those complaining they have no deer...heh heh heh...right...heh heh heh...wont happen...if you keep wackin on your property you got only tourself to blame...you got that control...use it...:D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i see it...:nono:that certainly isnt needed...i hope everybuddy on this site can limit theirselves to one deer this yr...especially those complaining they have no deer...heh heh heh...right...heh heh heh...wont happen...if you keep wackin on your property you got only tourself to blame...you got that control...use it...:D
Only yourself?
Wouldn't you blame the all knowing ODNR for setting such high limits?
If its legal to kill however many deer they set the limit to be, why blame yourself for following the law?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Only yourself?
Wouldn't you blame the all knowing ODNR for setting such high limits?
If its legal to kill however many deer they set the limit to be, why blame yourself for following the law?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I am half and half on this subject. I agree with coonskinner about its your fault if you kill all the deer on YOUR property. But I agree with jericho.because the odnr set the limits way to high and the people doin the damage is the.ones out of staters that hunt public and dont care if.the deer are killed out.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I am half and half on this subject. I agree with coonskinner about its your fault if you kill all the deer on YOUR property. But I agree with jericho.because the odnr set the limits way to high and the people doin the damage is the.ones out of staters that hunt public and dont care if.the deer are killed out.

youre right buckhunter...you know what gets me is i hear people buying all their tags before season that they can...then complaining because they didnt fill them all...i wonder why they dont buy one tag...kill a deer then go buy another tag...and so on...:mischeif:i think i know the answer...just wonderin what others figure on that...i mean its the wack and stack mentality at its best...but yes the key word in my other post was YOUR...if ones been wacking all he can over the years and managing his place like that...the odnr is off the hook on that...:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts