Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm proud the peoples government;

1.) Created The Preamble to the United States Constitution. Its fundamental purposes and guiding principles. It states its reliable evidence of, the Founding Fathers intentions regarding the Constitution's meaning and what the Constitution should achieve.:thumbs_up:

·
Banned
624 Posts
The most unique feature of our Founding Fathers was that a bunch of wealthy men got together and established a government run by the people.

Throughout history, the wealthy have always just assumed power and run governments to their own benefit. These guys could have done the same thing. It was even suggested that George Washington's title be "King".

However, the brilliance of including as many people as possible in the herculean task of running a successful and prosperous country is their lasting legacy.

It's also one of our lasting strengths. Past governments run by a ruling class have always stagnated and died. For a government to reman vital, it needs to adapt and progress.

By including ideas from the entire population, we guarantee our future success as a meaningful way to govern.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G.I. Bill

I'm proud of the G.I. Bill and I wish more of our tax $$$ went towards
our returning military families!!
Maybe when we gut the military industrial complex...we can get these
fine young ppl more assistance.

·
Banned
624 Posts
The divide in this country has never been greater imo...sad but true.
At least we're not shooting at each other with states in open rebellion.

The fact that we are still talking and trying to find a way to solve our problems, together, says a lot.

Outside forces have tried and will try again, but we are the only ones that can divide us.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the divide

Good government starts at home. You need people's involvement.
I have observed the divide as always being great. Pick a decade.
Its surely nothing new or greater now than ever before. No-way!
The struggle, continues..
Each emancipation from the past and present dogmas, affords the
"Change" necessary for Our Nations Growth.

Debate is good...a stubborn resistance to change..is vanity.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I'm proud of the G.I. Bill and I wish more of our tax $$$ went towards
our returning military families!!
Maybe when we gut the military industrial complex...we can get these
fine young ppl more assistance.
I understand that before the G.I. Bill, only about 6% of the population got to go to college. After WWII, that number jumped to over 20% and paved the way for the success of the middle class.

Since we can all agree that education is at the heart of any nation's success and since one Ticonderoga Class cruiser costs $1 Billion, maybe we could have one less ship in the Navy and send 25,000 more of our people to college or just cut their costs in half for some 50,000.

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's no way to make for a prosperous nation.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changing the status quo..the divide in the 1770's

Good government starts at home. You need people's involvement.
Sometimes a great division creates a greater humanity...

source, wikipedia/wiki;

By the 1770's there was a large element of conservatives tied to the British Empire, including wealthy merchants involved in trade, royal officials and patronage holders.
Most of these conservative elites and their followers who remained loyal to the Crown are called Loyalists or Tories. The loyalists "conservatives" tried to preserve the status quo of the Empire against "revolutionary change". <<
Their leaders were men of wealth and property who loved order, respected their betters, looked down on their inferiors, and feared "democratic rule" by the rabble at home, more than rule by a distant aristocracy.
When it came to a choice between protecting their historic rights as Americans or remaining loyal to the King,..." they chose King and Empire."

·
Banned
624 Posts
If you'll note as mentioned in your article, the Bill passed by Congress restricted any use of NIH money to promote gun control. It, in no way, hindered the President.

That having been said... the President isn't saying that he will promote gun control, just that a restriction on one agency does not confer a restriction on all government.

The author's deduction after "In other words:" is totally wrong and misleading.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biased and un-balanced

Tucker Carlson runs this conservative webpage..

Its Not really a biased reporting group.. With that, how seriously
should the information be taken..

The way the artical is written..and a big commercial ad placed
write in the middle of the condemnable information...smells falsified,
and the placement of quotation marks misplaced?

Not really a reliable source...the daily caller. More a propaganda web!
Maybe use the Drudge Report..<<sarcasm

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Not really a reliable source...the daily caller."

Funny how the guy who uses wikipedia as a source is saying other sources aren't reliable. lol We teach our high school kids not to use wikipedia as a source, Oh well, Trailstaff's never wrong. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
I have a question for trail and hen3...jeff, you're welcome to chime in also. What is your opinion or interpretation of the second amendment to the bill of rights?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Non-Biased

"Not really a reliable source...the daily caller."

Funny how the guy who uses wikipedia as a source is saying other sources aren't reliable. lol We teach our high school kids not to use wikipedia as a source, Oh well, Trailstaff's never wrong. ;)
I cross-reference information use with other encyclopedias before
posting any wikipedia listing..

Kids should stay out of wikipedia until they reach a maturity
consistant with referencable information.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
mine opinion is that it protects our rights to possess firearms as a private citizen w/out being connected to a militia. and to use that them for lawful purposes such as hunting or for self-defense while protecting our family,home and property.
i'll go ahead and say this because i have a feeling i'll be saving some time prior to a followup post by someone.
I have heard for YEARS and YEARS now that the democrats have been coming for our guns.I got sick of hearing it when Clinton was in office and yet during his Presidency I owned more guns than i ever have.
whe Gore was running I voted against him because of his stance on guns.It is important to me that these rights be upheld but,I truely do not beleive that EITHER party would ever try to take away our gun rights.
now,let the Obama slamming begin!!!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right to keep and bear arms

I have a question for trail and hen3...jeff, you're welcome to chime in also. What is your opinion or interpretation of the second amendment to the bill of rights?
I would tweak it some...

1.) "The right of American Citizens to keep and bear arms".
( not as broad as "the people"..I don't really want non-citizens
to have this gun right.)
2.) Being our national right, congress should not allow states to define
their own keep and bear laws.
3.) They should have national shooting ranges, dozens in every state.
Also, ocean ranges, as I hope to own a destroyer some day!
4.) There should be some limits to weaponry, from missiles to cluster
bombs... and bio/chemical....don't you think??

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I always believed the right to bear arms is not a right granted by the government or the constitution, but only protected by it.

The declaration of independence states:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, - That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

We get our rights from our creator. Protecting our life and liberty is a right we all already have irregardless of the constitution. The constitution does nothing else but say the government shall not infringe upon that right given by God.

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

I think the reason they placed this right behind free speech, is because of how important it is to our liberty.

It helps guarantee as a people our ability to enact the second bold statement in the decleration of independence if needed.

The second amendment essentially helps guarantee our other rights will not be removed by the government.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1st ammendment freedoms

I'm proud I'm able to voice my opinion..

Truth and Honor are gifts a man gives to himself, virtue wins his character.
trailstaff

·
Banned
624 Posts
We teach our high school kids not to use wikipedia as a source, ...
The trick to Wikipedia is all the links to further information backing a statement. Click on the footnote number and follow the link to the background information.

You'll find sources that never show up in a search engine request.

However, like any other search for meaningful information... never trust just one source. Read some of the other links that the wiki page offers and add that to a regular search engine search.

If you do all of that, then I see no reason not to quote from Wiki if you believe that the wording is best at getting your point across. Quoting from the original source would be even better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.