Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am talking to some of my buddies and the idea came up where we would take a long weekend and go hunt somewhere out of state. I'm talking completely freelance, more than likely hunting nothing but walk in public land. Probably leave on a Thursday directly from work and drive straight to our first day hunting spot and hunt day one with zero scouting involved. So due to this, I would say it needs to be within 12 or so hours.

I'm leaning towards Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Illinois, or Missouri.

Each has pros and cons.

Minnesota and Wisconsin both have a lot of public land, but it's more or lesss like hunting around here, with just more birds.

Illinois has a ton of birds but very little public land.

Then you have the south. Arkansas, Missouri, etc. Lots of birds. Lots of public land. Lots of hunters.

I'm just curious what other people would do if they were thinking about this. I really don't want to pay a guide to duck hunt, mainly because they're too expensive and I would likely get more satisfaction out of doing it myself.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Save up your time and money, hold off a year, and then take a week to head to North Dakota.
The only place within 12 hours of Ohio that’s going to give you a decent shot at some solid public access Duck hunting would be Tennessee or north eastern Arkansas. Both would require a boat and some serious planning plus a little scouting when you get boots on the ground.
good luck and let us know where you end up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Following this. Would love to go to Canada lake at Clair for Cans but I’m not getting a shot just to hunt ducks 😁

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still kicking the tires around. I had a few days scheduled off during the rut but I might move that vacation and take a week off and go somewhere a little ways off. I might be making a trip up to visit some buddies out at Minot and hunt with them for a week. I've come to a conclusion that I am really indecisive lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
going on our first Guided Erie Trip for ducks the 23-24 of October, hoping we get some shooting....im not that adventurous I guess
Nice, where at? Up near Sandusky or? You'll have to let me know how that goes. I've debated doing an Ohio Guided hunt to see what people who are very successful around here do.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice, where at? Up near Sandusky or? You'll have to let me know how that goes. I've debated doing an Ohio Guided hunt to see what people who are very successful around here do.
were running out of Port Clinton area as a base, but depending on where the Captain scouts the birds we could have a short drive, if It is a good trip, I will PM you details...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts