Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is what happened, I had this Black Lab mix, that I never reaaly bonded with, ok he hated me, and I can't exactly say I liked him, well yesterday for the 4th time in 2 days he broke out of his kennel. My wife caught him, and put him in a portable cage in our garage. Last night I let him out to "potty" , and he wouldn't come back in. I finally caught up to him, and he bit me when I picked him up. Let's just say he is now at the vet's and going to be put to sleep next week. I have 2 kids and can't have a dog that is a biter. That is how I feel, but I still feel like crap taking him to put him down. What would you all have done?

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Your a better man than me. After all that crap and him biting me I would have put him down myself.

Some animals just have that mean spirit. Sounds like he was one of them. Your doing the right thing. Sooner or later he'd probably bite one of your kids or he'd bite a guest would would then sue you.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with thunder on this one! Its not easy but You remember the lady and McDonalds coffee Could've been you and a angry other going at it! Best move for you! Glenn

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I'm with Thunder. I would of done it myself.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Hard to do

You did the right thing. We've got four dogs, three of them are my GSP's. This first time one ever bites, thit is gone and I've had the youngest for going on 6 years.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Yes I wouldn't want it to bite my kids. My dogs playfully bite, but they don't mean any harm by it. I know what it's like for a dog to be put down (and one we loved). I guess your name says it all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would of put the dog down right where it bit me, you def. can't have a dog that will bite. You are doing the right thing.

Bill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I just needed to hear it from other guys. I'd be lying if I said he almost didn't get put down on the spot, but I live in the city, and my kids were home.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Well it would be all you would need if your dog got out and bit someone else and then you had a lawsuit then.....I still think you made the right decision

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plight Mal. We had to do the same around a year ago. It wasnt easy but you can't have it around kids at all.;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
if i really liked the dog i would have bought a shock collar first, i have a gordon that thought he was a pitbull till i fried his ass a couple times . completly changed him for the good. he's my bird dog which really means hes my hunting buddie and good hunting buddies are hard to find.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Must be a hard thing to do, my dogs are my best friends..However if I had one who hated me and I hated it, I would do the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A little irony...

While waiting in line at lunch today, a young lady and her two kids were in front of me. I noticed that the daughter, maybe 8, had stitches all across the front portion of her nose. The cashier knew the lady and asked how things were going. She replied it's been a bad week as their dog had bit OFF the end of her daughter's nose and it was surgically re-attached. The cashier asked if the dog was still there... Oh no, we took it to the shelter.

Out of earshot from the kids, I told the lady I would have given that dog a lead vitamin! Her response, well the kids knew this dog could/would bite! I HAD to walk away before my mouth got me in trouble!

·
Registered
261 Posts
You did the right thing for sure. For over 20 years I bred and showed dogs and one thing thats a fact is temperment is hereditary. You can take a good tempered dog and make it bad but you can't take a bad tempered dog and make it good. Their is a third type of biter and the worst type to me and thats a "fear biter". Very unpredicable on what will trigger them to strike. I would put either type of biter down without a second thought.

Dargdog: I think the woman should do some "time". I can't belive she would let her children around a dog she knew would bite. Sounds like child endangerment to me. Maybe the woman and her dog had the same IQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts