Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out at daybreak and set myself up on the edge of a field along the power lines. Birds were extremely vocal. They stayed roosted until around 9:00 in the morning.

I made some calls throughout the morning but chose to keep it to a minimum with the an occasional cut and whine.

I heard a Tom off to my right and I watched a jake fly from one hillside and land behind me. I decided to make some noise with the pot call. The Tom got closer so I made some light cuts. There he was To my right 25 yards away. My only shot was directly in front of me. I drew my bow and he started to come my way. He stopped strutted a few times then came in. He then stopped and strutted again.
Two+ minutes in full draw. I was shaking and debated on letting down when a jake came running into my shooting lane. The Tom didn't like it and chased him off. Then he stopped in my lane so I let the arrow fly.

It was a good hit. I was quick to get up he ran 25 yards, kicked a bit.

22lbs
11 inch beards
Rounded off 1 inch spurs.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Congrats on the bowkill!

Reactions: Wildman18

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Congrats! But taking one with the bow is a lot more than lucky!
Hard to kill with a bow, the best shots are the wing butt and I prefer one standing tall facing away from me and hit them in the middle of the back. they go nowhere. But I have had some I shot straight through the sides fly away, so I won't shoot one with a bow anymore. I just as soon call them in and take a pic and let them live. Turkey numbers are down in PA and in my area there are few since the fishers showed up. So I may not even hunt them this year. Between the fishers and guys being allowed to kill three turkeys a year it has put a hurting on them.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot three with a bow. My only Turkey's I've killed. I've been lucky I guess None have gone far.. a few years ago I shot one in the back dead center. It can out a half an inch above his beard.

Shooting 3-D at turkeys I've never made a shot like the ever! Lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got out at daybreak and set myself up on the edge of a field along the power lines. Birds were extremely vocal. They stayed roosted until around 9:00 in the morning.

I made some calls throughout the morning but chose to keep it to a minimum with the an occasional cut and whine.

I heard a Tom off to my right and I watched a jake fly from one hillside and land behind me. I decided to make some noise with the pot call. The Tom got closer so I made some light cuts. There he was To my right 25 yards away. My only shot was directly in front of me. I drew my bow and he started to come my way. He stopped strutted a few times then came in. He then stopped and strutted again.
Two+ minutes in full draw. I was shaking and debated on letting down when a jake came running into my shooting lane. The Tom didn't like it and chased him off. Then he stopped in my lane so I let the arrow fly.

It was a good hit. I was quick to get up he ran 25 yards, kicked a bit.

22lbs
11 inch beards
Rounded off 1 inch spurs.
Nice bird. Congrats

Reactions: Wildman18
1 - 7 of 7 Posts