Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think about hunting water early season this year with drought I think I may give it a shot. Anyone ever have any luck over water?

·
2,029 Posts
If we don't get much more rain then a watering hole would be a great idea. I have a friend in western Ohio that only hunts over a small watering hole early in the season. It's the only one around and he and his son each get a deer early in the season.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Instead of planting a food plot dig a pond? If you can locate a spring that is.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I used this tactic one year when it was dry. A creek runs through my place and there are several small holes that never dry up. I scouted and found the one with the most sign around it (literally hundreds of tracks). I set up next to it opening day and right at first light I had 6 doe come in and I took one. Had a deer down the first 10 min of season. I personally have not had much luck with shooting shooter bucks over water early.........for that matter I don't even see good bucks on their feet during daylight until 10/15.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I used this tactic one year when it was dry. A creek runs through my place and there are several small holes that never dry up. I scouted and found the one with the most sign around it (literally hundreds of tracks). I set up next to it opening day and right at first light I had 6 doe come in and I took one. Had a deer down the first 10 min of season. I personally have not had much luck with shooting shooter bucks over water early.........for that matter I don't even see good bucks on their feet during daylight until 10/15.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now here is a question the neighbor has a pond 50 yds away from my property only water source for 500 acres ..... Now the pond is on their property but the bedding area is on mine should I hunt the fence line or somewhere in between?

·
22,528 Posts
Absolutely "if" it stays this dry until then and the water source is a "active" one used by mature buck(s). You'll need to do some homework.

Now here is a question the neighbor has a pond 50 yds away from my property only water source for 500 acres ..... Now the pond is on their property but the bedding area is on mine should I hunt the fence line or somewhere in between?
Yes- travel route to and from the water source may be a good bet-if it's actively being used.! I wouldn't hunt on the fence line. You can wound a deer and it easily can go to the property that you don't have permission to be on. I also wouldn't hunt to close to the bedding area. Find a spot between the two and set up with the wind in your favor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts