close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Pine trees

Discussion in 'Ohio Bowhunting' started by roberts021, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hunting a new property and there is and area of tall pine trees. I have scouted the area twice now and both times have seen deer in or real near theses pines.My question is, I know thats pines are a could wind break and a decent bedding area for them and other real reason they like to be in the pines.There are a couple trees in there that i could get my climber in and i am thinking about trying this spot out.any ideas or tips

2. If u can get in there during the rut do it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. watch the loose bark on those pines with those climbers! they get givey and break away sometimes, great for a fixed position in a fork

4. I wouldent recommend hunting in pines. Ive tried it and the wood is pretty soft i had tree steps pull right out (and i'm under 200lbs). Also sap has ran out and onto my stand and clothes and can be a real pain to clean.

5. I'd hunt them for sure, I'd just do it from the ground.
    From my experience in the pines: The deer seem to be way laid back and I've had several encounters under 10 yrds.

6. Somehow I allways find a hardwood in them pines somewhere. But if its not in a good spot I pitch a blind up

7. i have been using climbers in pines for years, just set the teeth of the climber just over a not or broken off limb for a rock solid brace. watch out for sap and don't climb a pine if it is windy!!

8. One of the properties i hunt has a good set of pines and when the rut hits it is a hot spot. Bucks love to rub them as well i guess because of the wood being softer. As for hunting i would say if it is a good location i would for sure.:thumbs_up:

9. Try to set up on the edge

10. thanks for the info guys.there are a couple hardwoods in there that i was thinking about using my climber in. keep the info coming

11. Pines are a great place to put some meat down. I love hunting pines. I have pines on my property and planted more. The deer love em.

12. sit there during the rut for sure

13. I shot my first deer way back when hunting out of a pine. I had a ladder stand, and it sat right above a sturdy limb so i wasn't too worried about what others have pointed out (good things to think of with a climber though!). the lower branches gave me some good cover and the upper branches sheilded me from the weather a bit. Took that first deer at 7 yards broadside and it didn't even know I was there. Just make sure you have a shooting lane if you're set up in a pine.

Good luck to ya!
    ~BHIO