Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's my question to everyone that hunting is still a love and passion but none the less a hobby for lack of better words:coco: and not a career (no offense meant) So where do you think its ok to save money and where should you not spare expense:confused:? Is it really necessary to buy a $2-300 scent lock suit, or is a $50 walmart realtree ap brand and a $5 bottle of spray scent away work? Do you need to spend $25 for 1 broadhead or will the 3 for $9 work? Ya, I'm sure the $400 tree stand is much more comfortable than a $150 but, if its safe and gets you up and down from the tree is it necessary to START with that? Please don't misunderstand me, I know you "get what you pay for" and I would love to go out and buy everything "top of the line" but until the kids are grown or the wife moves out :p that wont happen. Thanks guys in advance:D, this should be a good one lol!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great question! this only depends on you. For me now the joy is in the hunting and to me this is one on one, not with all of the extra's. No scent lock suits, learn to use the wind and keep yourself as scent free as possible ( I still use scent blocker spray and shower before each hunt and keep my clothes in a garbage bag, but one bottle of scent blocker will last a long time). I went to trad last year, no sights, fall away rest, no latest broad heads, no climbing stands all back to the basics. I enjoyed it more last year than I have for a long time. I was still able to harvest 2 does.
I think all of these gadgets do help and for some they are needed or required, but what do you want out of hunting, and if your goals require it go for it. It is fun to slow down and go back to the basics some time and just enjoy you and the quarry you are after with no outside help.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
why waste money,last yr.wendy killed her first deer from a 70$ ladderstand...shes used these stands about 3 yrs. now...the stands are solid and as quiet as any out there...with a lil bit of elect tape...for the pins...we have 3 now of that type...i think theyre called comfort zone and sold at dicks...i always go up and check wendy to make sure shes got everythang hooked right and safe...just a lil check...makes me feel better for i take off to my stand...and that 70$ stand holds our total weight easily...:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I say go with makes you comfortable and feeling like you can kill deer.

I hunt 'on a budget'. I rarely buy any top of the line brands. I usually buy at Gander Mtn. (its 5 mins away from me) and get the lower end guide series stuff and use a scent killer spray. I do have some clothing and gear that I have purchased at Meijer, it was what I needed and the price was right. The one area I don't know if I would skrimp on is my arrows and broadheads.

As Coonie said, I also have some $70 tree stands and they are solid.

I would have to agree with what was posted earlier, use the wind and be mindful of what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with expensive suits or optics unless your our west on optics. I would buy good arrows broadhead. Good pair of boots. Cheaper stands are fine. The more expensive stuff these days tend to be lighter. Not always more comfy. A good mid range bow nowadays is perfect. For instance the bowtech assassin is in $550 range fully rigged. A lot of gimmicks out there. You just need good basics.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Properly tuned arrows with a reliable head on the business end is a MUST..WE owe that to the animals we hunt.....

Broadheads is the last thing I would go cheap on..You can get good broadheads for 20$ a 3 pack and up if you shop around...

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Don't skimp on broadheads or arrows. Dont skimp on anything that could save your life. I hunt from 50.00 stands and 40.00 sticks. A good harness is a must. Not a believer in scent blocker suits. I started bowhunting in 82 and if I was killin deer without it then, I don't need it now.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! Those of you who hunt public areas what type of stand do you prefer? Im thinking of getting a climber so that I can pack it in and out without worry of it getting stolen. Anyone ever had any issues with someone stealing fixed equipment?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
didnt get a chance to read all the comments, but I saw part of coonies.

I agree with cheap stands. I rather have 35 sets then have one expensive ass stand!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Agree with several others-2 things worth spending the money on:

1) An ethical shot on the animal.
2) Your comfort. Feet seem to be the most expensive thing to keep warm (hands do great with a $20 hand-muff); good boots and socks are a must.

The rest is just gravy.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! Those of you who hunt public areas what type of stand do you prefer? Im thinking of getting a climber so that I can pack it in and out without worry of it getting stolen. Anyone ever had any issues with someone stealing fixed equipment?

i have mine out there all season...they must come down before archery season ends...but mine will be out sometimes nearly a year...never one taken but when equipment is left unattened,public or private...you risk it being taken...soooo why leave gold out there when you can leave dirt...so far we've been ok during the deer camp(wn)...we did have a guy that left his lone wolf stand and sticks up...:yikes:luckily nothing happened...tell me people on here...what would you do if you seen em...:mischeif:heh heh heh...but anyway i always tell how it has been with us til now...but i cant make any promises...i'm sure there will be a first time...but we been lucky now 6/7 yrs...:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I only hunt private and several years ago I had a couple stands stolen. The place I hunt now I have never had a problem. I usually have 8 stands out. Would be afraid to leave that many stands on public.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I only hunt private and several years ago I had a couple stands stolen. The place I hunt now I have never had a problem. I usually have 8 stands out. Would be afraid to leave that many stands on public.
my only stand stolen was on private (relatives)...its easier to steal on private imo...one reason...you can drive vehichles to them and load em up...most people doan want to work too hard to steal a stand...especially cheapies...i know of about 4 ladderstands that have been on the wayne where we hunt for about 4 yrs. now...:eek:i know of one hang on...thats been up about 7...:eek:...i also knew a guy that left his stand up at the archery only area at delaware...:yikes:and believe it or not it wasnt stolen...now that one is beyond me...but on the large areas and stands are away out...no one wants to hump them out...shoot man i left an ameristep ground blind out there for a year...no problem...so sometimes public can be safer it seems...according to the experience i've had anyways...uhhh do you think i just jinxed myself...:yikes:eek:h and i been putting stands out there about 20 yrs...:biggrin:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think I could leave a stand on public land. If I'm going on public land, I use my climber. I have a hang on I leave up most of the year that is on private land. I did leave my 2 person ladder stand up on a permit only public area for the month I was drawn to hunt, but had it locked. Plus, I figured if someone really wanted to hike out with that beast, they could have it. I didn't even want to take it out at the end of the month.

Back to the subject about hunting on a budget, my stands may not cost a lot, but I can't afford to repeatedly replace stolen ones.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If ur hunting public don't get a cheap climber cause ill hate it. You will want to leave it in the woods haha. Hunt on the ground make some natural blinds if using chow or gun its not as hard to hide becaue u don't have to draw. U can use cheap camp from meijer or other places. Don't buy scent lock . Average bow I got mine all set up for around 400. I use a 200 dollar muzzeloader that is awesome. If doing hang on stand 40 bucks is good . The deer need to be there then u spend ur time scouting and hunting with some luck ill get it done

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Climbers are very popular on this forum for packing in an out...

I have ONE stand/set of sticks a Pro Series Lone Wolf Alpha hang-on/Pro series Lone Wolf sticks..And a Mil-Spec Molle II pack system to haul it in an out with...It does not get left in the woods...It seems on THIS forum(not other forums) that my setup an style,makes me the odd man out..An Im fine with that....PM with an questions or if ya wanna meet up in my local to hang etc

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That is a pretty slick set up for trucking in sticks and a stand!
Thanks!!! 21.8LB on my digital fish scale ,the way it sits...My climber weighed about the same,but limited me more in MY areas..I am hoping to add the Wolf Pack packing/carrying system from the manufacturer at some point..IT IS SWEET:thumbs_up:....FOR ME !If all the trees in my area was 12ft or higher with no obstructions,I would consider packing in/out a well built,packable climber....I sold my decked out viper ss...If I could have afforded to keep it I would have...

·
Registered
150 Posts
For me good boots are a must. Arrows and broadheads just as important. A good quality treestand for me was a must also. I hunt public land and needed the comfort. I hunt from dark to dark so I needed something I could stay in all day. And it is a climber. I've had 1 stolen and not giving them a chance at another.
No need for the over priced scent suits. You can be as scent free as you want without them.
The trick is to use what you can afford. No need for all the latest gadgets.
All most forgot. A good quality safety harness is on the top of the list. my life depends on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah a trick I do with my hunting gear as I think I've stated here before? Not sure is that I get a burlap sack throw in a few cut up apples and then bury the suit. Pull it up after a few days and the ground works as a natural baking soda. Then I just keep it hung up outside during season.

I agree with what folks are saying about the broadheads. Only things you shouldn't skimp on or as little as possible are the things that directly affect the shot. Broadheads/arrows.. Everything else can be done just as well with work. As dad always said "There aren't any shortcuts and if there are act like you did it the hard way anyways"..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts