Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born a NW Ohio flat lander, live and hunted in the flat lands my whole life and only hunted the southern hills a couple times from pre set up stands and blinds.
I recently gained access to 1,000 acres in southern Ohio and was completely overwhelmed on my recent scouting trip. I admire and respect those of you hill people that successfully harvest deer down there. I am extremely green at climbing hills, scouting the hills and reading deer sign in the hills.
In my home area you circle the wood lots looking for deer trails, follow the sign, put out bait/cameras and let the deer show you where they want to be and when they want to be there. I’m really looking forward to this new challenge hoping it makes me a better all around hunter. I plan to hunt down there for the rut and gun week.
What are the best resources for a new Ohio hill country deer hunter?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was born a NW Ohio flat lander, live and hunted in the flat lands my whole life and only hunted the southern hills a couple times from pre set up stands and blinds.
I recently gained access to 1,000 acres in southern Ohio and was completely overwhelmed on my recent scouting trip. I admire and respect those of you hill people that successfully harvest deer down there. I am extremely green at climbing hills, scouting the hills and reading deer sign in the hills.
In my home area you circle the wood lots looking for deer trails, follow the sign, put out bait/cameras and let the deer show you where they want to be and when they want to be there. I’m really looking forward to this new challenge hoping it makes me a better all around hunter. I plan to hunt down there for the rut and gun week.
What are the best resources for a new Ohio hill country deer hunter?
Dan infants hill country dvd helps with the learning curve, but nothing beats a topo map and boots on the ground. Learn different terrain features and how deer use them especially in relation to wind and thermals and have a blast. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look for saddles, they LOVE crossing at saddles. This is one of many we've killed crossing saddles. View attachment 54875
Forgive my topographical ignorance but what exactly is a “saddle”?
I won’t be able to make but maybe one more scout trip, I’ve been using OnX 3D a lot trying to pick out some spots to look at in person.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Forgive my topographical ignorance but what exactly is a “saddle”?
I won’t be able to make but maybe one more scout trip, I’ve been using OnX 3D a lot trying to pick out some spots to look at in person.
A saddle is a low point on a ridge, usually between two knobs. Not usually list dramatic in Ohio but you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
We’re in Muskingum County and it’s very hilly and rough terrain. My biggest takeaway is that the deer use the ravines and draws to travel, wind check. No matter how good you think you’ve got the wind, it swirls, gets sucked down and settles into places it shouldn’t. It’s tough! Ideally, I like to hunt with a little bit of wind on a high pressure day. I also will use a little cover scent. A looong rope and a machine help to pull ‘em out when you’re successful! Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
I hunt in Harrison County. Rolling hills and steep ravines are the norm. Western Ohio is like a different country to me. But we grow big big bucks in the hill country.

Reactions: profdlp
1 - 9 of 9 Posts