Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Hunting from boat/kayak

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Great Catch12 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Excuse the ignorance of hunting laws. I'm not a hunter at all and don't know the rules and regulations. I was sitting here thinking about duck hunting from a boat or kayak on a river, lake, or state park here in ohio.

I'm wondering if it is legal on any river in Ohio? Are you able to shoot any kind of gun off a boat? Are there designated areas on the river to duck hunt? Or are you limited to outside of city limits on a river? How about state parks. Are you able to hunt off a boat in state parks?

#2 ·
This might be a little late but I saw this online and thought that some of the other guys might be interested.

What are the rules for waterfowl hunting rivers in Ohio?
Navigable waterways are public domain, however the land along the shore and underneath the water is privately held, unless the waterway passes through public property. For that reason written permission to hunt is necessary in most cases. Written permission is not required only when a river or stream passes through public property where hunting is allowed; or if the hunter and all hunting equipment are floating and not touching the shore, any structure on the shore or in the river, or the bottom of the river or stream.

The rule reads as follows:

When hunting a river in Ohio written permission of the landowner is required by persons hunting from the shore or in the river when touching the bottom, or by persons hunting from boats on rivers and streams when the boat is anchored, tied to the shore, or tied to any structure in the river. It is unlawful to place decoys in the river or to go ashore to retrieve game without the written permission of the landowner. The only exception to this law is when the river or stream passes through public property where hunting is allowed.

Special regulations exist for hunting the Ohio River along the Ohio/West Virginia border. Click here for details.
Source: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting.../frequently-asked-questions-waterfowl-hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.