Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought it was illegal to hunt from a motor vehicle (I knew about the farm machinery exception), but I was doing some surfing and found out that you can hunt coyote and groundhog from a vehicle on your own land if you meet the following requirements.

16. Can I hunt from a vehicle on private property?

ON PRIVATE LAND:

All hunting from motor vehicles, is prohibited with the following exceptions:

• Except from boats that are not under power and stationary, and machinery being used in farm operations

• Discharge of a firearm from a motor vehicle at a coyote or groundhog is permissible if the discharge is not during deer gun hunting season and the discharge is lawfully following the below restrictions under the Ohio Revised Code 2923.16

(a)The motor vehicle from which the person discharges the firearm must be on real property that is located in an unincorporated area of a township and that either is zoned for agriculture or is used for agriculture.

(b) The person must own the real property described in division (F)(2)(b) of this section, or is the spouse or a child of another person who owns that real property, or is a tenant of another person who owns that real property, or is the spouse or a child of a tenant of another person who owns that real property.

(c) The person can not discharge the firearm in any of the following manners:

(i) While under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or alcohol and a drug of abuse;

(ii) In the direction of a street, highway, or other public or private property used by the public for vehicular traffic or parking;

(iii) At or into an occupied structure that is a permanent or temporary habitation;

(iv) In the commission of any violation of law, including, but not limited to, a felony that includes, as an essential element, purposely or knowingly causing or attempting to cause the death of or physical harm to another and that was committed by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
Quoted from this web page which links to the actual revised code: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/hun...APVPermitApplication/tabid/20784/Default.aspx

Oh happy me! There is a groundhog that I have been trying to get but it's kind of out in the open and I don't have the skill for a super long range shot. All the good close range spots to sit are covered with a bed of poison ivy. This GH has been decimating the soybeans near its den. A vehicle might do the trick for me. :) :)

Might have to wait for tomorrow though because I am targeting 2 groundhogs in the side bean field that I found last night and I know exactly where to sit to get close enough for them. This is this evening's plan.

Count so far this year is 6 for sure and 2 that were hit good but made it to their hole but I bet I got them too.

Year round hunting, oh yeah.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Got a chuckle out of the specificity in section (c)(i). But no doubt there was someone out there asking themselves: "Well it says I can't do it if I'm under the influence of alcohol. And it says the same about drugs. But what if.....?"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
679 Posts
Section (c)(v)-

For individuals confused by section (c)(i) - Please also remember to roll your window down before discharging your gun.

·
22,520 Posts
Section (c)(v)-

For individuals confused by section (c)(i) - Please also remember to roll your window down before discharging your gun.
LMAO- That would be important!:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
It's hard to see with red squinty eyes and a smoke filled truck. Nothing like a few cold beers to take away the dries. The groundhog they shoot will take care of the munchies. If they can shoot stright.
Tommy from swamp people alway has red squinty eyes. Makes me wounder if he rolls his own. Or is he just hungover every day.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ha. Ive wondered that about the two bearded brothers too.

·
22,520 Posts
Ha. Ive wondered that about the two bearded brothers too.

There is only one left now- too bad, I enjoyed watching them.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
beevis an butthead...

when i lived in tx. i used to go down into those cajun areas...quite unlike what we're used too...everythang is a shack...homes,bars,stores...and beer drinkin is very important...they get real crazy...:biggrin:

·
22,520 Posts
beevis an butthead...

when i lived in tx. i used to go down into those cajun areas...quite unlike what we're used too...everythang is a shack...homes,bars,stores...and beer drinkin is very important...they get real crazy...:biggrin:
they don't have any windows on their vehicles to worry about down there:D

Really?! I missed that tidbit of info!

Yep- had the big one one morning on the boat-

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...will-brother-glenn-stay-on-swamp-people-.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts