Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts
Ok...so gw r just going to walk randomly on private lands? Without no leads?
i'm not sure how theyd do it if it were to come to that...but both leads and no leads would be fine with me...but definately they need tuh follow up on leads...i'd think you'd be for that...to have a better chance at catchin those that want tuh kill by cheating...:D

i'm not sure how theyd do it if it were to come to that...but both leads and no leads would be fine with me...but definately they need tuh follow up on leads...i'd think you'd be for that...to have a better chance at catchin those that want tuh kill by cheating...:D
Seems like a lot of time...especially for one gw per county. Tick a lot of people off roaming woods looking for bait piles...just sayin....seems like their time could be spent better..jmo

Seems like a lot of time...especially for one gw per county. Tick a lot of people off roaming woods looking for bait piles...just sayin....seems like their time could be spent better..jmo
nothin beats ketchin a poacher especially one thats taken the big boyz illegally...not only is it a good payday for the odnr but these pukes are cheatin tuh git a buck that others are tryin tuh git legally...:D

You are on a roll :rolleyes:

Totally enforceable and is enforced in Maine. The location of the bait site is required to be posted and able to be located by the use of GPS. If a site is unmarked or unable to be located by a warden, the owner of the site is fined. All of this information must be submitted before drawing a permit.

This practice allows the DNR to limit the amount of bait sites, Keep trespassers off bait sites that do not belong to them and to monitor bait sites against early use and clean up after legal season has ended.

As far as I am concerned, stands located on public land should require the same permit requirements. I don't know how many stands I have seen on public land that were there illegally. Instead of wardens having to do a blind search (impractical) they would simply need to GPS the site after seasons close. This practice would also keep people out of others stands, since permitting would designate who's stand it is.

Of course, Maine also dealt with the stand issue by requiring that every stand have the owners name and residence imprinted as you would do on a trap. If you are in a stand with someone else's name on it and do not have written permission to be in that stand, you are arrested and fined. If you are carrying someone else's stand, arrested and charged with theft. Have a stand with no information on it, you lose the stand and get fined.

Not too many stands get stolen up there ;)

Yeah I know.... Stupid.
That's interesting-nothing in their regs about any of that-all they have is this.....:mischeif:

DEER HUNTING PROHIBITIONS
• Baiting deer by placing salt or any other bait
or food to entice deer or hunting from an
observation stand or blind overlooking salt,
grain, fruit, nuts or other foods known to be
attractive to deer, during any open hunting
season on deer is prohibited. (Does not apply
to hunting from an observation stand or blind
overlooking: standing crops; foods that have
been left as a result of normal agricultural
operations or as a result of natural occurrence;
or bear bait that has been placed at a bear
hunting stand or blind in accordance with bear
baiting laws.)
Legal to feed deer but cannot hunt over or near bait
Here's the regs-

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/13MEHD-FINAL_LR.pdf

The "only" permit for baiting needed is for Bear Hunting- and it's strictly a permit....which is normal for that type of game.

Reasonable suspicion and probable cause are generally the reasons for wardens checking bait sites. They know where they all are but that doesn't mean that they have to check them all. When they do want to check a hunter, they simply wait at the road adjacent to the bait site and wait for the hunter to vacate the stand or check him from a distance with binos.

That brings up another thing I would like to see as a law change, which is the requirement to wear the license on the outside of the clothes. NY uses a back tag which is great because wardens can see that tag from a long ways away and do not need to enter the area in close proximity in order to run a check, should they want to.
In Ohio, a warden must approach to within arms reach to check licenses. That's just stupid IMO.

Bear baiting requires what I have outlined and this is what I have been using as an example. Deer baiting is illegal in Maine.
The subject was baiting and regulations for baiting.... that's the extent of what I have been talking about.

As far as I am concerned, I don't know why they don't allow deer baiting in Maine because they allow deer feeding stations all the rest of the year.

The reason permitting is normal is because Bear are regulated as to take, which leads back to my other point (made in first post) about managing a deer herd properly and focusing on deer take rather than estimated head count and unlimited tag sales. If you said that 100,000 deer needed to be killed to keep the balance where you wanted it, then the season should close when 100,000 deer have been reported killed.
Game that is managed in such a way (be it crabs or bears) will be more widespread and therefore gives everyone better opportunity outside of managed private property.

That's interesting-nothing in their regs about any of that-all they have is this.....:mischeif:

Here's the regs-

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/13MEHD-FINAL_LR.pdf

The "only" permit for baiting needed is for Bear Hunting- and it's strictly a permit....which is normal for that type of game.

Bear baiting requires what I have outlined and this is what I have been using as an example. Deer baiting is illegal in Maine.
The subject was baiting and regulations for baiting.... that's the extent of what I have been talking about.

As far as I am concerned, I don't know why they don't allow deer baiting in Maine because they allow deer feeding stations all the rest of the year.

The reason permitting is normal is because Bear are regulated as to take, which leads back to my other point (made in first post) about managing a deer herd properly and focusing on deer take rather than estimated head count and unlimited tag sales. If you said that 100,000 deer needed to be killed to keep the balance where you wanted it, then the season should close when 100,000 deer have been reported killed.
Game that is managed in such a way (be it crabs or bears) will be more widespread and therefore gives everyone better opportunity outside of managed private property.
the odnr does not just manage a deer herd just for hunters...they must manage for all citizens of ohio ...deer populations effect everyone,either positive or negative...and thats a big challenge/headache i'm sure for the odnr...trying to keep everybuddy happy...:biggrin:

the odnr does not just manage a deer herd just for hunters...they must manage for all citizens of ohio ...deer populations effect everyone,either positive or negative...and thats a big challenge/headache i'm sure for the odnr...trying to keep everybuddy happy...:biggrin:
Agreed and that's why actual kill numbers should be used to manage. The way it's done now, might as well be playing Bingo :irked:

i thought they were using actual kill numbers...what else can they use...:mischeif:
They are using kill numbers after the fact. It's like saying, we have 100,000 deer and we want 50,000. Issue as many permits as we can make and lets hope they only shoot 50,000.

Opps.... they shot 70,000 :rolleyes:

Opps... they shot 20,000 .... now we have 30,000 more than we wanted and those x-tra are going to add numbers due to birth rate... what are we going to do now?.
:irked:

How about...

Season opens and doesn't close till the correct number is taken and that's that. Proper Management in other words.

i thought they were using actual kill numbers...what else can they use...:mischeif:
Yes they REPORT actual kill numbers but as northwoods says, they need to identify how many they want killed preseason. Then once they hit that number season is done. and im not a biologist but that is a sound management principle no matter what you apply it to. A goal and a way to carry it out.

They are using kill numbers after the fact. It's like saying, we have 100,000 deer and we want 50,000. Issue as many permits as we can make and lets hope they only shoot 50,000.

Opps.... they shot 70,000 :rolleyes:

Opps... they shot 20,000 .... now we have 30,000 more than we wanted and those x-tra are going to add numbers due to birth rate... what are we going to do now?.
:irked:

How about...

Season opens and doesn't close till the correct number is taken and that's that. Proper Management in other words.
Yes they REPORT actual kill numbers but as northwoods says, they need to identify how many they want killed preseason. Then once they hit that number season is done. and im not a biologist but that is a sound management principle no matter what you apply it to. A goal and a way to carry it out.
Bingo- X amount of tags allocated by county and public area based on "sound" population estimates keeping the herd balanced-it's really not that hard. Plus if we get the "other interests" to pay their fair share(Since they are dictating what our regulations are)-we won't be the ones providing over 95% of the operating revenue of the DOW.

Something I have preached about for many years, but why listen to us-were only hunters providing the DOW almost all of their funding:whistle:

It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company,Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free.

"It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company,Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free. __________________"

I can just see the new Geico or Progressive tv ad promising to reimburse hunters for each deer they kill on their next car insurance bill.

"It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company,Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free. __________________"

I can just see the new Geico or Progressive tv ad promising to reimburse hunters for each deer they kill on their next car insurance bill.
welfare...ha...then why are so many hunters payin big dollas for land...or leases...or bows or guns ,expensive stands,cameras...quads,farm equip....so on so on...i think ins.companies have a good reason to want the herd at a certain population...hunters are still killing deer...guys on here are still killin deer...big bucks are still fallin...:D

heh heh...reimbersment now thats funny but maybe a possibility...:biggrin:

Bingo- X amount of tags allocated by county and public area based on "sound" population estimates keeping the herd balanced-it's really not that hard. Plus if we get the "other interests" to pay their fair share(Since they are dictating what our regulations are)-we won't be the ones providing over 95% of the operating revenue of the DOW.

Something I have preached about for many years, but why listen to us-were only hunters providing the DOW almost all of their funding:whistle:

It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company,Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free.
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

I can see the Geico Ad now......Hunters, 15 Bait Piles will get you 15% off.:biggrin:

I see you thought my comparison was pretty spot on too :biggrin:- "It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company, Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free. "

It's called ObamaDeer.

I can see the Geico Ad now......Hunters, 15 Bait Piles will get you 15% off.:biggrin:

I see you thought my comparison was pretty spot on too :biggrin:- "It's beginning to sound like the welfare system in our Government where the "working people"(Hunters)- pay all of the cost and the "other interests(Insurance Company, Ohio Residents,etc.....) receive all the benefits for free. "

It's called ObamaDeer.
maybe progressive will put flo in an add ...:D

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.