Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Hunting/Fishing laws

9K views 88 replies 21 participants last post by  ringneck 
#1 ·
If you had TOTAL control over the fish and game laws in Ohio, what would you change? Whatever rule that you wanted changed, added or removed from the books would be done so immediately. Adding or removing a season? Changing bag limits? Whatever you want....?

#2 ·
-Spring tree rat season

-I'd like to see a study on the effects a snagged fish goes through. I know they did this study on salmon to find out that a majority of the fish died before spawning.

-I want to ride my quad on state park roads! Disabled people are almost punished in this state, when it comes to the outdoors. Electric only, is dumb. And most parks "maybe" have one populated area you can use. Theres access roads built for trucks all over the parks… You say my quad will cause damage? Ok, I'll take my truck!

#3 ·
First change, anybody calling themselves a hunting guide or outfitter, or charging money to hunt a property, would be required to obtain a state license, minimum price $10,000 per year. The money would be spent by the DOW to obtain additional public hunting land. The licensee would be required to carry a $10,000,000 liability policy and commercial auto and ATV liability insurance if transporting customers. Might as well toss in a formal written safety program, vendors license and charge sales tax on services.
Why $10mil insurance, if you fall out of a guide's tree stand and die.

Fishing guides need a license in Ohio, why not Hunting guides running around the woods with guns?

#7 ·
I think before a land owner is issued damage permits Hus land should be open to public hunting

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I like the idea you have going on this. Public, I don't see that happening. A drawing type of permit would be ideal for this type of hunt. IMO

#8 ·
:thumbs_up:
First change, anybody calling themselves a hunting guide or outfitter, or charging money to hunt a property, would be required to obtain a state license, minimum price $10,000 per year. The money would be spent by the DOW to obtain additional public hunting land. The licensee would be required to carry a $10,000,000 liability policy and commercial auto and ATV liability insurance if transporting customers. Might as well toss in a formal written safety program, vendors license and charge sales tax on services.
Why $10mil insurance, if you fall out of a guide's tree stand and die.

Fishing guides need a license in Ohio, why not Hunting guides running around the woods with guns?

#12 ·
Not so sure I want anybody running around with a shotgun or .22 while im turkey hunting, maybe a summer season or earlier fall

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Sorry, I've never turkey hunted. Never seemed to be cost effective to me. Theres plenty of room for everyone though… You brought up something thats always concerned me though and I'm sure I'm going to catch a bit of crap for saying this… I think all squirrel hunting should be shotgun only! Sure some of you guys can hit your mark 99% of the time, but do you want to be part of an accident? Those rim fires we all love should never be pointed into the air.

#15 ·
Make primitive weapons season, primitive Only(flintlocks or caplocks only). Allow inlines and smokeless, anything that uses 209 primers during gun season only.

Make tagging deer before they are moved absolutely mandatory like it was originally the law. No tag, ticket them for poaching and confiscate the horns!

No Helicopters, NO drones, no loaded guns on ATV's

#16 ·
Primitive archery season

No gun season

$500. out of state buck tag

$250. out of state license

Herd management by county with head count @ 45 p.s.m.

Hold townships responsible for deer/vehicle collisions where hunting is not allowed within that township

Make sharp shooters illegal within the state for big game management

Rewrite trespass laws for the state to protect owners but ease requirements on non-owners.

Sell big game tags based on herd density. When X number of deer are harvested, that's the end of tag sales.

No more damage permits.

#18 ·
Cut Bow season to a month, with no bow hunting in November-

Add a week to Gun Season-

Get rid of the early Muzzy Season-

Eliminate all doe “extra” tags- allocate only as needed.

:D:D

On a serious note.......just a "few" items.....there are more.....

We need to be more detailed in our population estimates and revise the current way we do it.

Then-Allocate Doe tags based on Accurate Population counts by county. (We use to do this many years ago-this is not new).

Properly determine population estimates of deer on public areas and manage them separately while allocating tags based on population goals so the "overkill" is eliminated in selected areas of the state and the deer populations are balanced creating a better hunting opportunity and maximizing it for those hunting those areas.

Regulate Outfitters!

#19 ·
*Make hunting leases illegal. All parties wishing to lease land should first obtain and Purchase Outfitters/Guide license.
*Allow Snares on public land.
* Make Baiting illegal
* Implement and Enforce Wanton Waste laws
the 1st and 4th are the most important to me. Leases have stretched hunting prime areas into the realm of who has the $$$$$$. Most if not all of my hunting is subsistence, with the exception of turkey hunting. One of the reasons alot guys have trouble getting permission also. Its getting harder to pass the heritage along when people lock it up with the almighty dollar. Hunting never was about that and shouldnt be. If you wanna pay big bucks for a quality hunt then go to an Outfitter. Then theres Wanton Waste..... Its your Ethical Responsibility to harvest and utilize the animals you take. Do the best you can. i understand a Big Buck isnt as tender as a doe but after you get the rack it's not coyote bait. I've seen enough caped out headless deer DEEP in public land in the past.... my guess a lazy hunter didnt want to drag it. Thats not hunting.... its just killing.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
"We need to be more detailed in our population estimates and revise the current way we do it."

How many of you know that Wildlife officers still wake up super early in the spring to count the number of gobbles on Public Hunting areas? Personally a waste of "company time". When your driving thru a Public hunt area and note numbers painted on trees. They have been doing this since the 1980's

We all know telecheck is a giant joke but add in the fact that the number and density of road kills is not factored into herd size numbers. Tell the officers to check the interstate carcasses once a year say March 15 when the snow melts and get a handle on a road kill number. Dont believe insurance company numbers because most poor rural people probably don't have collison insurance anyway.

I am guessing, the number of roadkills each year approaches the legal hunting total.

I will never forget seeing a state highway dump truck on the freeway east of Athens dumping a full load of deer carcasses over a guard rail into a ravine.

#21 ·
- outfitters should have some type of licensing system
- no spring squirrel season
- no early muzzy season
- begin youth turkey season a solid week before the regular season

*BTW those of you against the baiting law....how would that effect local businesses and farm stores? Any hunter worth their weight know it is very unlikely to shoot a mature buck over a corn pile.

#23 ·
-
*BTW those of you against the baiting law....how would that effect local businesses and farm stores? Any hunter worth their weight know it is very unlikely to shoot a mature buck over a corn pile.
Any hunter worth their weight wouldn't need a corn pile to begin with. Its not ALL about Mature bucks. The probability to spread disease from a bait pile is greater. You gonna go to a restaurant and eat out of the same bowl of soup that everyone else is during flu season? To me Its about ensuring a healthy herd, others will say its not fair, or sportsman like. I wont make that arguement we all hunt differently. I just dont want to be reading articles down the road on how CWD or something of that nature spreading like wildfire ruins the quality hunting we have in Ohio. These are all just opinions. Feed mills can survive without hunters as long as there are farms. i'd be willing to bet that ODNR license and permit sales would take a bigger hit than feed mills if people werent allowed to bait. Which isnt a good thing for sure.

#24 ·
If anything make those wanting to bait pay for a permit for a Baiting station like they do for certain species and areas in other states.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any hunter worth their weight wouldn't need a corn pile to begin with. Its not ALL about Mature bucks. The probability to spread disease from a bait pile is greater. You gonna go to a restaurant and eat out of the same bowl of soup that everyone else is during flu season? To me Its about ensuring a healthy herd, others will say its not fair, or sportsman like. I wont make that arguement we all hunt differently. I just dont want to be reading articles down the road on how CWD or something of that nature spreading like wildfire ruins the quality hunting we have in Ohio. These are all just opinions. Feed mills can survive without hunters as long as there are farms. i'd be willing to bet that ODNR license and permit sales would take a bigger hit than feed mills if people werent allowed to bait. Which isnt a good thing for sure.
BS....this has been discussed on here numerous times. If I had to go out on a limb there are thousands upon thousands of feeders in the woodlands of Ohio.If it was as bad as what you say there wouldn't be a deer in the SE part of the state. I bait to get an idea of what is using my area. I rarely sit over for a feeder.

To say baiting will be the demise of the deer herd is simply BS. It would have happened by now...not to mention a lot of these farm stores make a killing off people buying corn.

From an enforcement stand point...how would they enforce it? Check every piece of property? No way. They can ban baiting and people will still do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.