Hunters: Thoughts on Population this Spring?

Discussion in 'Ohio Turkey Hunting' started by carp, May 15, 2018.

1. Now that they season is coming to a close, Id like to think hunters have a good perspective on turkey numbers. What was it like in your part of Ohio? Same as last year? Up ? Down ? Other?

2. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I was only in Belmont for 3 days of hunting, but the numbers seemed way up. The harvest numbers available would indicate that as well.

3. Seemed like numbers were higher than I've ever seen which makes sense with the cicada hatch we had two years ago. They had a ton of good food

R. Toker likes this.
  4. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Birds working everywhere!! Numbers seem up a bit maybe?? I don't know we have a few good places to hunt!!

bilman63 likes this.
  5. I can only speak for Harrison County, both hunting and my daily travels throughout the county. Birds were everywhere. Every other field had multiple strutters in it every morning on my way to work. I hunted 3 mornings and killed 2 adult gobblers with spurs 1" or greater.

Bryan six likes this.
  6. Could people list what part of the state they hunted, dont even have to list county? Doing research on Cicada hatch!

7. Wow sounds like SE Ohio rebounding well!!!!!

8. Bryan six

Athens, Washington, Vinton, loaded with birds

R. Toker, dewster and bilman63 like this.
  9. Bryan six

Had a strutter gobbling his head off and putting on a show in meigs last night!! Knocked on farmers door, h said go kill one!! May end up there this weekend if all else fails!!!

bilman63 likes this.
  10. Bawana

Bawana Staff Member Mod

Tusc county was over run with birds. I also hunted Wirt County W Va and it likewise was the best hunting we've had in years. And yes I think the cicada hatch had a tremendous influence on how good the hunting has been.

Bryan six likes this.
  11. Well thats why I'm doing research , west side of the state didnt have a hatch. Birds in West central , Ohio are very scarce this year. We are not a great county for turkey but have noticed a decline the last few years!

12. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

For most of the state it has been a cool, wet "spring" combined with what looks like a high harvest. Not sure that recipe will be a winner for next year.

13. Weve had very little rain in our area. Pretty warm weather around here last week. Most hens still on nests. Next 2 weeks is when we want dry , warm weather! Mother nature always finds a way!

14. In Warren county on the 25 acres I hunt, they were no longer roosting there. The were however roosting at the metropark area and there were lots of them.

I also saw lots in the private field across from where I hunt, up until that field was plowed three weeks ago. They seem to be plentiful in Warren county and Butler county where I live. I see them while driving around here all the time.

15. During the last cicada hatch my yard looked like someone took a few Tommy guns to it. Just holes everywhere and I couldn't tell you if it were tens/hundreds of thousands or a million shells. There were inches of them piled up around the trees. Chickens were so happy .

16. Hunted southern Jefferson county the 1st week of the south zone season and heard more gobbling birds than I can ever remember. The population in that area definitely benefited from the cicada hatch a couple years back.
    Up in my neck of the woods in NE Ohio the populations seem stable with maybe a few extra birds around than most years. All in all it has been a great season for us.

17. NW ohio I have seen 3 or 4 toms this year both while hunting and driving during season. Numbers appear to be way down. I have not seen a Jake. A good number of hens around. I cannot hunt without a hen sighting. I stopped at the archery shop to ask and they said the same. No toms. I'd be very interested in harvest numbers for williams county. I have a pic on a trail cam with 6 toms from November or December. Who knew that would be such an anomaly? I haven't seen a turkey strutting in a field since the season began while driving to work which is very very strange.

18. In Morgan and noble the numbers were finally back to 2007 and 2008 levels. One thing that I did notice however was that there were very few jakes on camera and seen this year. I'm not sure why since last spring appeared to be a good nesting season. Last year there were flocks of jakes everywhere which of course led to all the 2 year old activity this year. I hope the jakes were just somewhere else. I think the hatch will be down this year due to all the overnight freezing temps through April and now wet ground. Hoping the levels find a balance and sustain and don't bounce around.

19. Hens, Hens, and more hens.
    I have been struggling all season with henned up toms. Everyone I find, even now has hens with them. This is in 3 different counties mind you. Very frustrating, I decided today after watching a big long beard follow 3 hens around a field all morning that I'm done.
    Hanging it up till fall then I'm getting my revenge!

20. average year in Hardin county and the toms have not been gobbling much. I have yet to see a gobbler strutting on my drives to work. My daughter did missed one a couple weeks ago and I took a nice one in Hancock county the first weekend. We have a couple more days she can hunt, so hopefully we can get on one.