close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Hunter legally takes two bucks in one day

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Revdillon, Nov 30, 2017.

1. "Union county hunter Willis Reece had a memorable opening day of gun season. He shot and tagged a giant 23-point buck that was tangled with another buck that had died. Wildlife Officer Josh Shields arrived on scene and assisted Willis, giving him a legal receipt for the found, dead buck so that the pair can become a once in a lifetime taxidermy mount."

From "Your Wild Ohio - Hunter" Facebook page.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512058785.213008.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512058798.244826.jpg

Kyle13, Maggie, bilman63 and 2 others like this.
  2. So whose team in the deer contest is he on?

That would definitely win it for them.

3. That would be an awesome mount to have in the corner of a room with one buck mounted to each wall.

kornfed65 and Revdillon like this.
  4. A beautiful pair of bucks it's too bad it had to go down for them like that. It does make me rethink leaving the rattling antlers at home the next time I head out.

5. Just wondering if they could have cut him free. As much as I enjoy killing deer I don't think I'd take one like this unless he was near death.

6. The one buck was already dead and the hunter shot the one that was alive

7. miketruax

miketruax Staff Member Super Mod

Maybe I'm in the minority here...but if I saw that buck dragging a dead buck I'd shoot him in a second....then call the warden just as this guy did. How many times in your life will you see that...probably none

Kyle13 and todd k like this.
  8. Cool harvest and I'de probably shoot too....as long as one was a giant.

On a side note. Mike, did you see the kid on Facebook that said he shot a limping buck this week and when he tracked it/recovered it......it had shed it's antlers. He then tagged it as his buck???? To me, at that point it's a shed buck and tagged as such. I aint using my buck tag on it. Thoughts everyone?

9. If it's a big one and u check it in as antlerless would you take it to a taxidernist and have him mount back on the deer. If so I say u tag it as a buck every time. Actually I would every time if that occurred. If I intentionally shot a buck it's still a buck to me.

10. I know. If a deer was stuck in a fence had had a chance of living you'd shoot it instead of cutting it free? I guess i'd have to be in that situation to know what I'd do but I'd think I'd cut it free.

11. Lets say the live deer was walking around and dragging the dead deer and all you knew was something looked very different about this HUGE Buck and you see one heck of a weird looking rack on this buck one shot and dead deer you walk up to your trophy and UH OH 2 dead deer Just saying

12. Given the situation that Willis was in, if it were me, I'd shoot the buck, without a doubt. Most deer hunters would, but not all. I once had my ass grilled on here for calling BS on a guy that said he wouldn't shoot a locked up GIANT. Eh.. okay.

And for the shed buck question, I'd tag it antlerless. Again, I think most hunters would too. But not all.. I guess..

13. Given the situation that Willis was in, if it were me, I'd shoot the buck, without a doubt. Most deer hunters would, but not all. I once had my ass grilled on here for calling BS on a guy that said he wouldn't shoot a locked up GIANT. Eh.. okay.

And for the shed buck question, I'd tag it antlerless. Again, I think most hunters would too. But not all.. I guess..

14. I'm sure in the moment people would do different things. Walking up to a defenseless deer the thought would definitely cross my mind not to shoot it (if it could live). If it were lying there gasping for air not flinching or things of that nature as I approached he'd be dead. As far as a giant buck it wouldnt matter. Small buck or big buck id treat just the same. Example... I parked just off the road I step out of my truck I noticed a buck in the side ditch 50 yards from me with a broken back hit by a truck so I shot him. I would shoot one from suffering. that's a great story when someone asks you after seeing your monster mount on the wall howd u get him? ah I walked up he couldn't move much i shot him....great hunt....it's about the same thing..bittersweet. to each his own. Massive deer though.

15. Don't proofread sorry. It's the same as shooting one hit by a car with a broken back u kill for pitie (but worse if it could live). I've never had to but its the same thing.

16. I saw that or maybe another one. Half dropped as it ran and the other half he pulled off when moving the deer. We could use antlerless a few years back through the end of bow season. I stood and talked with a warden about it. He described the scenario that this is basically an issue with that antlerless tag. Shooting a mature buck without antlers and putting basically a doe tag on it. I think if it came off in my hands i put a buck tag on it or maybe even if I shoot it while antlers are on. But if it's that they have none it's antlerless.

17. miketruax

miketruax Staff Member Super Mod

Ask yourself seriously....we sit for hundreds of hours a year looking for a giant...if your walking out of the woods and shoot a giant, good for you...if your in your stand.....good for you. But your saying a giant humps by your stand dragging a dead deer and you wouldnt shoot? Or your walking out and you see him, still not shoot? I think many of you are full of crap and trying to take a moral high ground that doesn't exist. Your there to KILL a buck and your gonna hold off because he is tangled up with a DEAD buck....gotta go KitKat here and say gimme a break

Hawgleg, Randall, Kyle13 and 2 others like this.
  18. Put the big antlers away a second. If i could walk out to any whitetailEd deer and shoot it dead without any effort besides walking straight up to it there is something wrong. Go to a stockyard get a Angus taste better and bigger! So kill it to end suffering great! kill it to have meat great! (old bucks suck to eat unless added with spices and good fat). But kill it cause it has a big rack? u wouldn't waste ur tag if it were a 1.5 yr old if it was locked somehow by a miracle of god? My moral high ground is fine! I kill for what they are intentend for as food first. What hell is a trophy worth if u don't work for it?

wing shooter likes this.
  19. The guys entire reason for calling the DOW in was to get a carcass tag so he could have them mounted locked together. Doesn't say he was gonna separate them and only mount the monster.

Kyle13 likes this.
  20. My father in law and grandfather in law Cut a pair of bucks loose that were locked up I'm thinking it was the 25th of October. They weren't as big as the palmated beast in discussion here but 150" class bucks. I like bowkills point if I can walk up and either shoot it or cut it free I'd try to let him go unless he's completely exhausted which it the monster taken here undoubtedly was. I guess we all hunt for different reasons. Mine is I love the challenge, if I could choose between shooting this helpless beast or stillhunting through the woods and killing a mature doe that for me would be an accomplishment. For the record the larger of the two deer that were locked up and cut loose died maybe 200 yards from where he was freed. The other one is still roaming the woods as far as I know. That will certainly be an interesting mount of those two locked up.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    tracker 6 likes this.