Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Hows everyones property work going?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BIRDDOG8487 
#1 ·
I have been super busy this year on my place. I planting a lot of clover, mowing, spraying new plots, deciding what to plant in the fall, cutting trails, hanging stands, mineral licks are out, trying to turkey hunt, and plant a few fruit trees! AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!

How are you all doing with your places?

#2 ·
I just prepped the garden today. I am looking at selling a used 5 times 6 foot King Kutter finishing mower and a 7 foot flail mower so I can get a 4 foot roto tiller for my tractor. It should be easier to do the garden and food plots then plowing and harrowing.

#3 ·
I just prepped the garden today. I am looking at selling a used 5 times 6 foot King Kutter finishing mower and a 7 foot flail mower so I can get a 4 foot roto tiller for my tractor. It should be easier to do the garden and food plots then plowing and harrowing.
How much ya want for the finish mower

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#4 ·
Food plots look great...... last years clover is thicker than ever and this years frost seeded clover is coming along great. Probably need to mow down my winter rye come the last of this month. I might also do some hinge cutting to thicken up some areas over the summer. Other than that, fresh up my mineral sites and get ready to do fall plots in August.

#6 ·
2 year clover still looking good. This year I tilled strips in my clover patch and planted RR Corn and Soybean combo. First time for this and probably only planted 1/8 to 1/4 acre. I might plant more by end of month if this does well. I bought an old Ford 309 planter and wanted to see results before planting to much. Getting ready to mow the clover to get some tender stuff in place. Stuff went crazy this year and some of those leaves are 2" in size. Best part of all I watched a 6 point velvet buck out there munchin away. Kinda surprised to see so much on his head already.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
sounds good guys!

Darron you like to hinge cut in the spring/summer? I always try and do it in the winter.

Anyone planting any trees or bushes? I planted a few berry bush cuttings this year in a thicket area to see if they will take.
I too like to hinge in the winter right after season ends, however, if I have time in early summer I will do it then. Basically anytime I am in the area and have time through July. I try not to disturb the property too much come August on unless doing food plots.

#10 ·
makes sense darron!

Anyone have any luck planting berry bushes or trees?

I was going to plant some dustan chestnut or chipikan oaks, but do not have a lot of open room for them, so I do not know if it would be worth planting one tree hear and there.

#11 ·
Just finished planting an orchard with assorted fruit trees. EQIP work starts in June. i need about 250 (yes 250) tons of chicken litter for my hay fields.
Any body know if Harrison county is in a CRP priority zone? lol, I could definately use some funds for my fields

#12 ·
Just finished planting an orchard with assorted fruit trees. EQIP work starts in June. i need about 250 (yes 250) tons of chicken litter for my hay fields.
Any body know if Harrison county is in a CRP priority zone? lol, I could definately use some funds for my fields
Damn thats a lot! Do you own that big of a spreader or do you rent one to spread that much?

What type of tractor you running?

I keep thinking about planting more trees just havent go around to it yet! Never done!

#13 ·
Ive rented a 5 ( or 7, cant remember) ton spreader in the past and pulled it with my JD 5420, but that was for less acreage. Eventually Id like to buy one and maybe find an old IH 1066 to pull bigger stuff.

I probably wont get 250 tons spread this year since theirs only one of me and I have a full time job, but if I could do 150 or so Id be satisfied.

#14 ·
Ive rented a 5 ( or 7, cant remember) ton spreader in the past and pulled it with my JD 5420, but that was for less acreage. Eventually Id like to buy one and maybe find an old IH 1066 to pull bigger stuff.

I probably wont get 250 tons spread this year since theirs only one of me and I have a full time job, but if I could do 150 or so Id be satisfied.
Thats cool man, bout to get your famers tan on! haha Good luck with it all!

#17 ·
I planted hybrid willows for a screen, Early yet but so far Im impressed. Sorghum goes in next week as does the sunflower dove field. Will draw down the wetland in a month or so and plant that to jap millet and buckwheat. Killed the majority of the autumn olive finally. The clover field will be killed off after nesting season and planted to a mix of winter wheat and winter rye this fall. Did a lot of select cutting in the woodland this spring, will finish up this winter. I put up 3 wood duck boxes and 3 mallard cylinders, and established a new mineral lick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.