Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I moved here about two years from Ca. I am into fishing... really big into fishing... and just recently hunting. I really do not know much about hunting but I do really want to learn as much as possible. At this point, I have only gone out for duck at Cowan. I want to chase down some deer and nab a turkey or two.

At this point, I am wanting to network with experience and benevolent hunters who are willing to take out a rookie for scouting and actual hunting. My set up at this point is a PSE mustang recurve 50 lb draw and a Remington 870 Supermag.

Blessings,

Arty

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What part of Cincinnati?
I see you want to get a ML. Get one and we'll go hunt Shawnee in oct.
As far as your recurve, get it set up for bow fishing and we'll shoot some fish. Keep posting too. It's hard to send out an invite not knowing much about the person. I've done this before and wished I never did, but I've also made some really good friends. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't and that goes both ways.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What part of Cincinnati?
I see you want to get a ML. Get one and we'll go hunt Shawnee in oct.
As far as your recurve, get it set up for bow fishing and we'll shoot some fish. Keep posting too. It's hard to send out an invite not knowing much about the person. I've done this before and wished I never did, but I've also made some really good friends. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't and that goes both ways.

Hey Friend,

I live right by UC. My wife is doing her Ph.D here and I am working in town.

I totally understand flying blind with other outdoorsmen and how it can be hit or miss. I will try to post some more.

In regards to ML's, what do you recommend to a person on a $300 budget? I have looked at the Traditions Hawkens rifle and am somewhat intrigued, but CVA has some nice ones like the Optima.

Peace,

Arty

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Hey Friend,

I live right by UC. My wife is doing her Ph.D here and I am working in town.

I totally understand flying blind with other outdoorsmen and how it can be hit or miss. I will try to post some more.

In regards to ML's, what do you recommend to a person on a $300 budget? I have looked at the Traditions Hawkens rifle and am somewhat intrigued, but CVA has some nice ones like the Optima.

Peace,

Arty
It really all depends on what you want. I'm partial to traditional equipment, but have thought about getting an inline with a scope for certain situations. I use a flintlock most of the time, but also own a couple side locks I've been known to carry. You can easily find a side lock or inline for that matter, in that price range. An inline with a scope will allow for longer, more accurate shots, but I've killed deer out to 150 yrds with my TC.
If you're looking at a hawken, I'd recommend a TC or Lyman. Their prices (private sales) have really come down because most guys want an inline.
I'm in Clermont, but do a lot of work in the city. I try to avoid Cincinnati, but I gotta go where the work is.
What do you fish for and where?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I know a guy that is selling a CVA mag 150 with a scope its in ex. shape he only wants $100 for it. He lives on the east side off of 125. I use to have one and they shoot very well.... I am from Cincy also

welcome to the site...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I know a guy that is selling a CVA mag 150 with a scope its in ex. shape he only wants $100 for it. He lives on the east side off of 125. I use to have one and they shoot very well.... I am from Cincy also

welcome to the site...
I might be interested in that if this guy isn't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

welcome to the site...
I would definitely be interested in this. Can you get me his contact information? This sounds rather promising.

Thanks,

Arty

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'll give you first dibs, but if it falls thru, let me know.

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts