Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how was the first hunt of the season? Anybody here much gobbling or did the rain keep them quite?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Lukily the rain stopped here in Belmont Co. just before daylight! Was able to get a gobbler for my Grandson, Colton right off the roost! Prolly 18# with 9 1/2" beard and 7/8" spurs. His 3rd bird so far and a two year old. He was a happy young man and the 20 ga. with #6 heavy shot did it's job once again!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That post was confusing. It sounds like you shot a gobbler off the roost. I know that is not what you meant.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That post was confusing. It sounds like you shot a gobbler off the roost. I know that is not what you meant.
I'm sure the way he meant was AFTER it flew down. Jeez..

Rain held us up this morning. Birds were gobbling okay at one point but couldn't get one to work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This youth season will go down in the books of days to be forgotten.
1) 4:30 the alarm goes off and it sounds like a monsoon outside, I step outside to enjoy the outdoors for a couple of mins and then check the radar with little hope in site, decide to get a little more sleep.
2) 5:00 a fully camoflaged 15 year old shakes me awake to be sent back to his room.
3) 7:00 a fully camoflaged 15 year old is out of patience and we head out in the downpour.
4) 7:45 pulled over by one of our countys finest, 13 mph over limit. First time I have been stopped in 29 years.
5) 9:00 finally get to the woods and head out, and 2 hours later we have yet to hear a gobble. I'm starting to loose faith in my calling.
6) 11:30 head to another area.
7) 12:45 get to second spot and start walking.
8) 1:15 get caught by Tom in open field as we are approaching field.
9) 2:45 get caught again by another bird approaching an open field.
10) 4:00 see 3rd Tom waving goodbye to us as we are driving out in an open field.
11) 4:15 make one last stop and get the first Gobble of the day.
12) 4:30 Bird had crossed road and busted us moving on him.

Typical first day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts