Lukily the rain stopped here in Belmont Co. just before daylight! Was able to get a gobbler for my Grandson, Colton right off the roost! Prolly 18# with 9 1/2" beard and 7/8" spurs. His 3rd bird so far and a two year old. He was a happy young man and the 20 ga. with #6 heavy shot did it's job once again!
This youth season will go down in the books of days to be forgotten.
1) 4:30 the alarm goes off and it sounds like a monsoon outside, I step outside to enjoy the outdoors for a couple of mins and then check the radar with little hope in site, decide to get a little more sleep.
2) 5:00 a fully camoflaged 15 year old shakes me awake to be sent back to his room.
3) 7:00 a fully camoflaged 15 year old is out of patience and we head out in the downpour.
4) 7:45 pulled over by one of our countys finest, 13 mph over limit. First time I have been stopped in 29 years.
5) 9:00 finally get to the woods and head out, and 2 hours later we have yet to hear a gobble. I'm starting to loose faith in my calling.
6) 11:30 head to another area.
7) 12:45 get to second spot and start walking.
8) 1:15 get caught by Tom in open field as we are approaching field.
9) 2:45 get caught again by another bird approaching an open field.
10) 4:00 see 3rd Tom waving goodbye to us as we are driving out in an open field.
11) 4:15 make one last stop and get the first Gobble of the day.
12) 4:30 Bird had crossed road and busted us moving on him.
Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource
A forum community dedicated to hunting and fishing enthusiasts in the Ohio area. Come join the discussion about safety, gear, tackle, tips, tricks, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, reviews, reports, accessories, classifieds, and more!