Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dressed deer, rabbits, phesants, but never a turkey.

Could someone give me some advice on the steps to take inorder to dress a turkey properly? What if you want to mount him? Please let me know.

·
22,520 Posts
Could someone give me some advice on the steps to take inorder to dress a turkey properly? What if you want to mount him? Please let me know.
:biggrin:

·
5,040 Posts
Love the pic!! If you're going to have him mounted, take him to the taxidermist and have him skin him for you. You can pluck them...lot of work, and I only do that if I'm getting them smoked. Most often I just fillet out the breasts.

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
If your going to have him mounted let your taxi do it if not I just skin them out take off breasts and legs and your done

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Yep, leg and breast him and pitch the rest.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I skin my turkeys they same way i skin a deer...Only thing is by skining it you have to make sure it is well basted while you cook it or it will get a little dry...:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have dressed deer, rabbits, phesants, but never a turkey.

If ya plan on mounting a turkey i'd just place it in a garbage bag and place it in the freezer and let your taxidermist take it from there...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So basically if you just cut the head off, cut the wings off, cut tail off, cant you just skin it and gut it, and youll be left with a bird that looks like its from the store?

Thats what I have always done with pheasants, and it looked like a chicken after I was done.

Also If i want to mount it, and put it in a freezer will the meat be good after he skins it out for me?

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
If you want the meat I would take it to the taxi asap after you kill it. If you want to skin it yourself and still mount it look at the breast and you will see a line with no feathers make your cut there work the skin loose when you get to the wings seperate the wing bone and leave them in the skin same with the legs and head when you cut the vent and fan make sure to leave the fat on so you don't cut the base of the feathers if anyone is close to me I would be happy to show you. Then freeze it
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts