Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

1. Cut the hide at the base of the tail on the underside severing the tailbone. I cut the skin up the back & sides an inch or 2.

2. Step on the tail, grab the hind legs & pull. The hide will peel off the body, front legs, & neck. The hide will still be attached at the head & front feet. DO NOT CUT THE FRONT FEET/HEAD OFF!!!!

3. Separate a little of the hide attached to the hind legs.

4. Step on the hide that is attached to the head &, with a pair of pliers, grab the hide & pull it up over the hind legs to the feet.

5. Cut off the rear feet, front feet, & head, making sure to remove little, hairy glands on the front legs.

6. Starting at the pelvic bone, slice open the belly through the rib cage & neck being careful not to pierce any of the internal organs, especially the bladder.

7. Remove the entrails.

8. Split the pelvic bone & remove any other internals.

9. Wash off the squirrel & remove all hair. Thanks to Duke0002 (Dale), I have started using a vegetable brush under running water, works great. After cleaning, cut up or keep whole. Depending on the size & or damage, I may split the front & rear quarters. I also split the rib cage so it fits in the pot better. I try to leave the tenderloins with the rear quarters.

10. Soak in a brine solution for 2-3 days in the fridge.

11. Rinse, pat dry, wrap, & freeze.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nicely done!! Friends, if you like to squirrel hunt but hate to clean squirrels, try this method. You will never go back to any other way.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Great instructional guide. Thanks for doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HunterGKS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but can you show some better pictures or put arrows pointing to the glands on the front legs that you said to remove? Im a first time hunter and want to make sure I remove those if I am lucky enough to get a couple this weekend. Thanks for the help! - Justin

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but can you show some better pictures or put arrows pointing to the glands on the front legs that you said to remove? Im a first time hunter and want to make sure I remove those if I am lucky enough to get a couple this weekend. Thanks for the help! - Justin
See pic# 5 with the pic caption in red: Remove these glandS. The glands are under R & S.

Reactions: marcheskie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts