Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have been shooting my new carbons for a couple of weeks I have replaced half of the carbons with my broadheads. Both field tips and broadheads are 100 grain. I know when I shot with aluminum they had a tendency to shoot a little higher (fixed 3 blade) So is it common for broadheads to make allot a difference with your sites or should they pretty much shoot the same?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
All depends on how well they're tuned, but expect to have some variance. Mine always shoot high and right.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It is better to try and broadhead tune...Its a process in which you move your rest etc in small increments until you broadheads an practice tips impact the same on target....When a bow does this it is tuned correctly an pretty well/This will assure that none of the energy in the arrow will be lost from fishtailing,corkscrewing etc.. ..Some broadheads are easier to work with an made to better tolerances.So they can be easier to get shooting well.Also it a good idea to have your arrow end squared before they are built(sqr both ends of bare arrow with tool,install inserts an sqr the face of the insert).If your local shop cannot provide this service,and your in my area.I would be happy to sqr the insert faces an the rear carbon(tips an nocks removed of course)..Correct arrow spine,length tip weight etc for you setup can also help broadhead tuning issues,and make the tuning process shorter.I dont wanna be long winded on this post.But I can and will help anyway I can..

·
Banned
955 Posts
Anyone that says broadheads (fixed blade) hit exactly like fields tips are FOS. They are going to hit different. The head is bigger and numerous other factors are going to make the two hit different.

I personally do not use field tips anymore. I bight the bullet and practice with BH. For years I have shot slick tricks and loved them, but I would always get a few flyers.......and when I mean flyers they would hit 6-8" off. My buddy shoots montec g5's and raves about them so I tried them this year and my groups improved drastically. I can keep my groups now 2" and less out to 35 yards (I don't get too many shot opps out past 35 yards in the areas I hunt). JMO, but the 3 bladed BH from my experience will group better than the 4 bladed BH.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thought about switching to the Montecs this year. I like the Redhead Blackouts though.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The green nock is a field tip an the 1st arrow shot.The orange nock that hit low is the first slick trick 100g magnum shot..And the other orange nock is after raising the arrow rest a bit,and is the 3rd arrow shot also equipped with a 100g slick trick mag..Thats at 40yards,and is close enough to grouping together/like a feild tip for me..If you cant get a quality made fixed blade and a properly built and spined matched arrow to shoot out of a properly tuned bow .Then most of the time one of those factors I mentioned before aint right,or its the shooter.. Fixed blade Broadheads do tend to be less forgiving then field tips when it comes to flight .

·
Banned
955 Posts
Thought about switching to the Montecs this year. I like the Redhead Blackouts though.

Ohiostrutter on here has shot them since they first came out and he loves them. Just about every deer he has hit with them fell within sight. They are a little $.....but they group well. I would say the NAP hellrazors would shoot like them they look alike.

A guy told me he shot the california state broadhead championships last month and the most popular BH amongst the shooters were the montec g5 and the hellrazors. That's saying something......

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't care for the destruction of the G5, fly great, but the blood lose isn't as good as a 3 razor headed thunderhead. Lost 2 deer, one shot twice, when I switched to the G5 because of the way they flew.

As far as performance between points and heads, measuring that is a better way to tell if things are better or worse. Speed is a good indicator of flight. Use a crono to judge how well things are flying.

The 100 thunder heads I shoot are 106, they all are, the points are 100. Measuring things is a good way to figure things out. If I remember right the G5 was 100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts