Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,049 Posts
How many have actually harvested the biggest bucks you've got on cameras? And how many haven't?

This is the only picture I ever had of this guy, destroying my archery target, less than 100 yards from my house! Pic was from 2009
PICT0026.jpg

This guy is still around, I think, my last pic of him was Jan 26th of this year. Actually got pics of him from last three years. Hopefully will be a real stud this year.
PICT0568.jpg

This is the one my son harvested last year 147" (date is wrong on cam was about 11/1/2011.)
PICT1193.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will go ahead and admit that I hunted this guy all season last year I have tons of pictures of him but I was just never in the right spot at the right time. He was found dead a couple weeks after season went out, but we don't know what happened. There has been only one year that I took a buck that I had pictures of, but he wasn't big enough to brag about.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here are a few more that have out smarted me through the years

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have never seen the big boy that I had on camera in my own hands, but unfortunately I have seen them in others.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I dont ever get huge deer on cam. I have killed the biggest I have ever gotten on cam, but then again it was only 152...Although, my biggest buck to date that I have killed, I never had a single photo of the year I killed him

·
Registered
207 Posts
On the land I talk about commonly in Eastern Kentucky we had a 18 or 20 point that ran around for a good 4 years. I hunted him every year. Never shooting at any buck but him on the farm during those 4 years. Those big old bucks are smart. Incredibly smart. I would be sitting at his normal spot. The spot he went to most evenings and made some scrapes or would eat the acorns. I was set up in this treeline that extended along the gully into the field about 50 yards so I had a great vantage. Would see all sorts of bucks, just never the one I wanted.

As I said those bucks are just different. You find them once every 10 years maybe. I just got lucky to chase him for 4 years. When I was sitting in my spot waiting for him. He would come down off another hill and walk right up below the house and eat the apples on the ground. If I waited at the house I would only see him down at the other spot I was hunting on. Never had so much frustration of fun in my life. It would also be random times. I would see him at 8 am one day, noon another, then 2 sometimes etc. He really had no set pattern. No set trail nothing.

After the 4th year I didn't get back down to see if he was still around although by that time he would have been getting on in years. I am hoping to go down this year and hunt though and I know some of his offspring will be around so I am hoping for another solid deer. I never regret the time I spent chasing him or that I didn't get him.

Now I always could have taken my rifle and done in with him but I think I would have regretted that still to this day. Just have to ask yourself why are you chasing him. Is it for the rack on the wall or the challenge of his wits vs yours..

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I have killed a few bucks that I had on camera, but they weren't the biggest buck we had on camera the year I killed them.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I got this buck on camera all summer and fall two years ago. Had him under my stand on halloween night but could not get him to stop chasing. Shot him him the next weekend as he chased a doe into a sanctuary area I have in place. Of course, he had to break off one of his G1's a week before I shot him.

Attachments

·
Banned
955 Posts
I dont ever get huge deer on cam. I have killed the biggest I have ever gotten on cam, but then again it was only 152...Although, my biggest buck to date that I have killed, I never had a single photo of the year I killed him
Seems like those are the best kind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the posting 419Bear. To me Hunting that Mature buck is what keeps me out year after year. Thats great if youir out just to get meat and I do that too. But, man those mature bucks are fun/frusturating to try in figure out!;)

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Here's a video of the buck my son ended up taking. His first and therefor largest.;)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I have never done it. My Dad has done it twice

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have never done it. My Dad has done it twice

That's a monster.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts