Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned on hunting my own property this year for turkey, but also got a opportunity to chase some birds in Athens.

How many birds can I take? I would never kill more then 2 in a year anyways, but just curious?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
with this mentality it wont be long we'll be hearing"there ain no turks"...and the odnr an the non res. and the neighbors an coyotes an poachers will be blamed...kill em all boyz...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with this mentality it wont be long we'll be hearing"there ain no turks"...and the odnr an the non res. and the neighbors an coyotes an poachers will be blamed...kill em all boyz...:biggrin:
How did I know you would comment something that is totally irrelevant to the post? Did I write something that offended you?

If you read my post, I also would never kill two birds off one property, but I got an offer to also hunt land down in Athens, and not on my place which is a large distance away. So I wanted to make sure that I was correct, and would be allowed to go and hunt down there. I know you would not take the offer cause you only hunt WNF, but for some of us guys, it is nice to have that option when it is offered to us. I know this makes me the scum of the earth, but I was asking a simple question.

Thanks to all you responded with a short answer that made sense.

Sometimes on this forum, I feel like we are talking about politics, and not hunting.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree at1010, more times than not people are wanting to push their ideas of how you should do something and assume that what you want to do or how you do it is wrong. I for one feel if you have the density then by all means harvest two. If you have the opportunity to travel to an area with a higher density after taking a bird then, again, by all means travel and harvest a second.

Contrary to popular belief, I dont believe that the ODNR is stupid, blind, or ignorant. They set the standards and harvest limits, and if they say I can harvest two turkeys then I'm going to concentrate on my first for the season and then, if its in my means and available, a second.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Shame on you coonskinner! Shame on you!

His question was a good one that deserved a correct answer that someone did post.

Your response was was totally uncalled for and inappropriate to say the least.:thumbs_down:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the support guys! Again, I am not a newbie on this site, I have talked to many of you through PMs, and have a lot of respect for you guys. Fredt I have talked to you through PMs and you seem to be one of the best guys I have met on this site. I by no means am just a ******* hunter who just wants to shoot turkeys outta a truck window while drinking a busch light, all I want to do is take advantage of an opportunity that I have been approached with.

Thanks for understanding, and good hunting for all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The turkey over populate the deer theses days their all over the place... I dont think for one second that killing three birds a year is going to hurt the population one bit...Over all i think it would help the deer population if we thined out the turkey population... Their would be more food on the ground for the deer.. Just my opinion...:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
How did I know you would comment something that is totally irrelevant to the post? Did I write something that offended you?

If you read my post, I also would never kill two birds off one property, but I got an offer to also hunt land down in Athens, and not on my place which is a large distance away. So I wanted to make sure that I was correct, and would be allowed to go and hunt down there. I know you would not take the offer cause you only hunt WNF, but for some of us guys, it is nice to have that option when it is offered to us. I know this makes me the scum of the earth, but I was asking a simple question.

Thanks to all you responded with a short answer that made sense.

Sometimes on this forum, I feel like we are talking about politics, and not hunting.
Amen to that brother...:)

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Shame on you coonskinner! Shame on you!

His question was a good one that deserved a correct answer that someone did post.

Your response was was totally uncalled for and inappropriate to say the least.:thumbs_down:
I agree 100%. Thanks for calling him on it :thumbs_up:

coonskinner :nono:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
time will tell...i remember when guys said the same thing about whitetails,bout 4-5 yrs. ago...i see the same thing happening with turks...theres really no arguing here,just a prediction...leave it at that...i'm not out to spar here...just somethang to think about...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be fine with a 1 bird state! My point was I was just asking a question, and if I am within the law then what the heck is the problem for asking a question?

And coonie you say you dont want to spar with anyone, yet you post things that are straight at the poster, and have no rhyme or reason to why you posted it. Thats like saying F you to someone at a bar for no reason and saying, I dont wanna get punched in the mouth. I am just talking! It doesnt make sense! I can agree with what your saying, but be more mature, about it and reply to the question in a half respectful/meaningful manner, it would help us all out on here.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey no problem here bud. I was just putting my 02 in. Happy turkey hunting.

A little stat for y'all..

Kentucky killed 15,000 birds the first four days of the season this year. Ohios totals from last full season was 18,000.

Btw- you can kill 2 in kentucky.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ohio should be a one bird state.
If ohio was a one bird state it would be over whelmed with turkeys... Then you can say goodbye to your ohio big bucks... You ever been down south in the caralinas? The bucks down there are tiny due to there being nothing on the ground for them to eat because of the wild boar... Well it would be the same thing with the turkey population...Do we really want that to happen? I think the odnr know what their doing let's let them do their job...

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
as said not here to spar,hopefully the odnr doesnt get as crazy with turks as it did with whitetail bag limits...i fine example is during a turk scout the other day i took a guy to a place i used to have perm.to hunt and fish while the place was still private...its since been bought and now is public...i went and showed him the small pond where i've caught nice bass and crappie since my youth days...even in the sixties we learned you had to put bass back in small ponds or you could fish em out...it was easy to take 30 or 40 bass in a good day...well low and behold as we started over the hill to the pond a guy and a kid are coming up with 2 loaded stringers of bass up to 3 pound...i assume they used minnies...my point is humans have a tendancy to over harvest...then complain about everythang and everybuddy being the problem when its gone...when in many cases they are part of the reason that happened...thats all i'm saying...turks dont have to be shot for success,i've called in a good bit just for fun once i got one...of course that was back in the early 90's when there were lots more turks...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts