Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to my great aunt Linda’s just as the sun was coming up on a chilly morning in late May(2020). She owns a good chunk of acreage of old woods around Knox county. I parked by the house, got ready, and quietly closed my car door as I walked down her main trail towards the back of the property. I found myself a big ol tree to sit in front of a nice shooting lane, so I set up my decoys and waited a bit to start calling. After about 30 minutes or so, I got out my slate call and called every 10 minutes or so. I did this for about an hour or two and then would move to another spot 1-200 yards away over the ridge and repeat. I repeated this at least 4 times in different locations, when I decided I was going to hike to the farthest corner of her property to check it out. On the way there I hear some commotion in the woods, so I stop and try to find where its coming from, hoping it is a big ol tom. To my surprise it wasn’t a deer or turkey but a brown and white Brittney spaniel jumping over logs, sniffing around, sprinting like it was tracking something. When I first saw the dog, it had to be at least 100 yards away. I did everything in my power to squat and hide next to the tree so the dog wouldn’t come over to me. But that didn’t work. The dog made a bee line straight to my location stopping and looking around and sniffing the air to find where I was. That damn dog found and followed me the rest of the day. He wasn’t just following me but jumping over every log and chasing invisible animals making so much noise. Everything in the woods new exactly where I was at because of this dog. Before I saw the dog, I could hear one of the loudest tractors that I have ever heard in my life running from what sounded like the next-door neighbor’s property. So, when I found the dog by that property line, my idea was to find the guy on the tractor and see if it was his. The dog followed me to the property line. A barbed wire fence separated my aunt Linda’s big woods from her neighbor’s huge grass fields. I came out of the woods and tried to flag down the neighbor, but between the noise of the tractor and my camo, he never saw me. So, my next plan was to lose the dog. Walk quickly in one direction, hide behind a tree for 5 minutes. NOTHING WORKED. I did this so many times and the dog would just sprint around and sniff the air until he found me. So new plan – walk back to the house, tie the dog up and keep hunting. The dog followed me all the way back to Aunt Linda’s house. She couldn’t believe the dog followed me the whole time and was laughing hysterically – I literally couldn’t get rid of him. So, I tied the dog to a tree in the shade, gave him some water, and went back out. Sure enough I didn’t hear a thing those last couple hours, and it was a HOT day, so I packed up and headed back to the house. Aunt Linda was pretty sure the dog was the neighbor’s, so we loaded him up in her SUV and drove on over to the next-door neighbor. We pulled in at the perfect time as he was about to leave, and we caught him on the way out of the driveway. Boy was he surprised and happy to see us with his dog. He said the kids had been looking for it all day and were calling neighbors up and down the street – I guess he forgot my aunts number. I explained to him the story about how I found him while hunting and he felt bad that the dog ruined my hunt, so he said follow me back up to the house, I have something for ya. We get up to the house from the long driveway and wait for him to come back out. When he comes out he’s holing a big Ziploc bag that looks kind of brown. He gets up to our window and says, “do you like morels?”. Well, I’ll be damned. I had been looking for morels all season with over 50 miles hiked looking for the darn things – and it was the end of the season (late may), so I wasn’t likely going to find any that year. He says “here ya go, we found a hundred or so the other day with the kids over the ridge, kept them in the fridge, so they’re fresh”. He thanked me for finding his dog and bringing him back over. And that’s how I managed to get my hands on my first morels – not the way I wanted to find them, but it worked for me!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Good story. Welcome to the site. Never know what an act of kindness can lead to. This summer while camping at a state park I helped a young guy get his fire started. He clearly had never camped before. About an hour later he walked over to my campsite and offered me a fifth of bourbon in appreciation of my help. I declined the bottle but offered to help him drink it right then and there. Had a nice evening sitting by the fire talking and sipping away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good story. Welcome to the site. Never know what an act of kindness can lead to. This summer while camping at a state park I helped a young guy get his fire started. He clearly had never camped before. About an hour later he walked over to my campsite and offered me a fifth of bourbon in appreciation of my help. I declined the bottle but offered to help him drink it right then and there. Had a nice evening sitting by the fire talking and sipping away.
Yeah it turned out to be a good surprise after being pretty disappointed and mad that day from the whole dog situation. Always pays off to do the right thing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an AWESOME story. Just the thing I needed to read on a winter evening. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed, I plan on posting most of my outdoor stories here since it is easier to post on the site than to write it down on paper in a journal/notebook!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must post after reading these awesome stories. In the late 90's-early 2000's we were volunteers at Maumee Bay State Park as a family, helping out with various things on weekends. One weekend we had our 3 Newfoundlands chained up and were playing with the kids when this young Lab showed up. Our #520 of Newfs were loving a new friend and I was only gonna try to get the owner found because I had enough dogs.....LOL.
I went to ranger station, got word out and waited while he played great with our dogs. I didn't have another collar so I made one out of clothesline being careful because I didn't want him to get snagged if he did escape. Night time I figured I had to bring him in our camper with the others and this dog was a genius. He knew every command I instructed him to do, was very affectionate and slept with the kids.
Next morning I had people wanting to take the dog but I said NO because I knew someone had time involved along with love but no collar. We went about our day, took walks with all dogs and again, no owners. Same thing that night. Monday being a holiday we had to leave but I wasn't leaving that dog with anyone, the rangers knew us and I felt better not just giving him to anyone(I wanted him,LOL)
We were ready to leave when a old pick up showed up and out popped 2 "adults" from the cab and a "kid" hiding in the bed who hadn't showered in decades! The very obese "lady"spoke first........"Get that FN rope off my dog". WOW.....we don't speak that way around others or kids and I let her know it. The "male" woddled over, cut the collar off the dogs neck and literally threw him in the truck, with the ranger watching! B4 I could act, he asked for a copy of dogs license, a pic of proof it was their dog and then more but I was burning up. He picked up the dog, handed him to me and told the people to go get proof.
Being a Holiday they said they had no way of proving but would be back with pictures. They had no drivers licenses or license plates but ranger was more concerned about the dog. We waited until dark and they never returned so my children grew up with a dog that was treated like a King, acted as one so that became his name. He lived with us 12 years so guessing he was 14 when his time came.
We continued to camp there almost every weekend and no one ever approached us about him.
Very long story I"M SORRY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must post after reading these awesome stories. In the late 90's-early 2000's we were volunteers at Maumee Bay State Park as a family, helping out with various things on weekends. One weekend we had our 3 Newfoundlands chained up and were playing with the kids when this young Lab showed up. Our #520 of Newfs were loving a new friend and I was only gonna try to get the owner found because I had enough dogs.....LOL.
I went to ranger station, got word out and waited while he played great with our dogs. I didn't have another collar so I made one out of clothesline being careful because I didn't want him to get snagged if he did escape. Night time I figured I had to bring him in our camper with the others and this dog was a genius. He knew every command I instructed him to do, was very affectionate and slept with the kids.
Next morning I had people wanting to take the dog but I said NO because I knew someone had time involved along with love but no collar. We went about our day, took walks with all dogs and again, no owners. Same thing that night. Monday being a holiday we had to leave but I wasn't leaving that dog with anyone, the rangers knew us and I felt better not just giving him to anyone(I wanted him,LOL)
We were ready to leave when a old pick up showed up and out popped 2 "adults" from the cab and a "kid" hiding in the bed who hadn't showered in decades! The very obese "lady"spoke first........"Get that FN rope off my dog". WOW.....we don't speak that way around others or kids and I let her know it. The "male" woddled over, cut the collar off the dogs neck and literally threw him in the truck, with the ranger watching! B4 I could act, he asked for a copy of dogs license, a pic of proof it was their dog and then more but I was burning up. He picked up the dog, handed him to me and told the people to go get proof.
Being a Holiday they said they had no way of proving but would be back with pictures. They had no drivers licenses or license plates but ranger was more concerned about the dog. We waited until dark and they never returned so my children grew up with a dog that was treated like a King, acted as one so that became his name. He lived with us 12 years so guessing he was 14 when his time came.
We continued to camp there almost every weekend and no one ever approached us about him.
Very long story I"M SORRY
No worries about it being a long story, I enjoy them all! But thats weird they never came back, something seems fishy to me, I feel like they had more going on that just no plates and ID's. I feel bad for the kids situation with the mean parents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The saddest part is I don't believe the people that came over were the real owners and believe they were up to something NOT GOOD. The post of found dog was up for a long time, we checked for micro chip and no one tried to contact us. We didn't hide him!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts