Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
well, I look for their roosting place, and then I look for the nearest water source. Unfortunately for me, there isn't a near water source where I can hunt, so I hunt close to the roosting place where I can get a shot.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
nothing real hard about it.i be in the woods a lot.i see things that might be to my advantage.if there is more of this stuff that i see in one area than other areas.i figure this will be a place to try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I scout year 'round. I see a lot of turkeys and turkey sign while late season deer hunting. A week or two before turkey season I go back to make sure they are still in the area. A day or two before the opener I go in before daylight and listen for them to fly down to be sure they are still roosting in the same spot. Then I get out quickly and quietly! At this point I do nothing (no calling) to educate them. Slip in early opening morning, set up, and listen. When they fly down, I give them a few subtle clucks and then sit quietly for a while. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't, but I'm a firm believer too much calling is usually bad. If they don't come, I go to another spot and try the same routine. I do not attempt to get closer to a bird that has started to come in then "froze up". I would probably spook him, and the next time he will be more reluctant to come. Others may disagree, but this system is what I like.

·
Registered
108 Posts
One thing about turkeys, they will usually be in the very same places they were the year before!! So every spot that you seen them at last spring, you can bet they will be there again!!:p

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I never stop scouting, it's a year round job. I do when i'm bowhunting which makes it easy to set-up in the right spot. The rule I like to hunt by is being versatile. If the deer aren't coming to me then I will go to the deer. I spend more time still hunting then any other method during the season.

It depends on the time of year when it comes to what I look for when scouting. During the winter I like to look for trails and what ones are being used the most. With the snow this is real easy to do. These trails are ususally the main ones leading to bedding and feeding areas. By the time the archery season ends the deer are starting to get back into a feeding pattern and that pattern usually holds until summer gets here. Once the crops start growing the patterns might change slightly. When that happens I like to take note of that cause it will help when it's time to set-up on opening day. When summer gets here I don't even go in the woods. I do all my scouting from the comforts of my Jeep. Using the spotting scope to watch the fields. The only time I hit the woods during the summer is to put up a stand or two about a month before opening day. Knowing the food source is the key for me. The approach I use has been working for me pretty good the last few years.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a spot on top of the world in Athens county were I hunt that I can park the truck and see thousands of yards of cow pastures and 100's of acres of wooded patches mixed in.

I just sit back and listen to them talk as the sun comes up, and then watch and listen which way the end up going. There are so many turkeys in this area that scouting isn't really required but I wouldn't miss those early morning shows for anything.

Kim

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I done most of my turkey scouting during the archery season,I will note were i have seen turkey and any scratchings.This is my first year hunting turkey so i will let you all know if my scouting methods worked.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I heard that george. i went ahead and bought my fall turkey tag and was setup on a hill side sitting against a tree during deer archery season and some turkeys came up over the hill. I waited Untill a lone bird broke from the flock and pick him out.I tell you what i only got my hand in my sling and just start to lift my bow up and gone they were history.So will try something else out this spring more camo!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
camo is secondary to movement...i have had hunter orange on and had them walk 15-20 yds. from me and be sitting against a tree in the open...did not see me...same for deer...if you move all the camo won't help unless you are in a tent blind...

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
THats what i'm talking about t5 bouble bull

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I am going to use a shotgun, last year I followed a turkey that came total about 5 yards from me but it was where I couldn't shoot it (believe it or not) but it never caught site of me...though I have been spotted a few times before. It's all part of the fun.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I like to go out into an area before daylight and just listen. Most of the time the turkey will let you know where they are. After daylight look for feeding areas and where water is located. Set a plan to what I find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts