Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

How are your spring plantings coming along

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  coyote1 
#1 ·
My rye is getting crushed by the deer. Planted that in mid April. Just planted buckwheat on Memorial Day.

#3 ·
My rye is getting crushed by the deer. Planted that in mid April. Just planted buckwheat on Memorial Day.
Steve,

You should try planting your winter rye in the late summer (August/September) with clover. It's a great draw during hunting seasons. The rye might be attracting deer now, but if I had to guess, it will be seeded out in a matter of weeks. Rye grows extremely fast. Once the the rye gets 10-12" high the deer stop using it (in my experiences)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
would you feel that overseeding winter wheat into clover would be a good idea?
Winter Rye would be a better choice. Better for natural weed control and better at storeing nitrogen in the roots for next crop. Winter rye has the same appeal and seems to be available everywhere.

The only way it would survive is if the clover is thin and the wheat/rye can recieve sunlight. It works way better to plant clover with the wheat/rye and end up with a nice clover patch in the following spring. The wheat/rye of course germinates faster than the clover and will beat it to the sun.

#10 ·
wheat tillers far worse than winter rye so the clover has a hard time thriving due to this with wheat. Rye and clover go together like peanut better and jelly. Planting rye and clover in late summer is probably the most maintaince free food plots you can plant. Not to mention it is extremely attractive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.