close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

home made squirrel call

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by bill_gfish, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Years ago my friends grandpa told us how to make a squirrel call/barker. You get a corncob out of the field, stripped of corn and break it in half and run a small stick about half way down the middle. Find a piece of slate, we had a slate roof so I had a lot of it around, holding the corn cob you hit the stick at an angle on the slate and it will sound like a squirrel bark.
    Any way that last post about squirrel hunting brought this memory up and was wondering if anybody has made one of these.

Bill

2. I haven't tried that. But I have rubbed two quarters together and it makes a clicking sound and have had them move closer to you to see what is going on.;)

3. I bought a squirrel call in a store once, had the rubber ball you bounced in your hand...Sounded just like a squirrel bark.

4. I saw an article in a magazine yesterday. They said if you forget your call or lose it in the woods, to pick up 4 or 5 small pebbles and put them in your hands. Cup your hands and shake them. sounds similar to a barking red. I might have to try that sometime.

5. That sounds really cool. Wish I had some slate. A corncobb is not a problem. I would like to give it a try. I love to make things. I well give it a try. I well look for slate. Maybe one of my friends can find me some.

6. Playing around with my turkey calls you can make the same sound of a barking squirrel. I used my slate call also my glass call with the carbon striker. Works fine.;)