close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoke and Denard

Discussion in 'Ohio Buckeyes' started by TheCream, Sep 4, 2012.

1. OK, nagihcim fans...how long will it take Hoke (a nagichim man) to realize that Denard Robinson is not a pocket QB this year? He tried this stuff last year early and had limited success. Once he was allowed to improvise and get out of the pocket and move he started lighting it up. But once again, against Bama, Robinson looked like a fish out of water trying to sit in the pocket. Sub 50% completion percentage and 2 INT's...

2. Deehntr56

Deehntr56 Staff Member Mod

Not a good game plan against Bama- You had to play your strengths to have any shot at beating saban and the tide, and they didn't do that.

Not a good plan by the coaches-:nono:

3. Bama schemed the defense to not allow Denard to run. Their were several plays where Denard had a run option and did not run because it wasn't there. A number of teams have tried this tactic with varying levels of success. Obviously Bama has the talent to do it. Bama was putting their corners on an island most of the game and it worked. FWIW, Denard made some good throws that still ended up incomplete due to outstanding individual play by their corners.

4. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Saw very little of the game and glad. Denard has always been a turnover machine, that's nothing new, but I was surprised at how ineffective he was on the ground. Losing the starting corner, tight end, and tackle didn't help and Hoke stuck to his guns by keeping out Toussaint and Clark. Not surprised they lost, but I did not expect them to be non-competitve.

5. Deehntr56

Bama made sure he didn't run and their defensive scheme was played that way-but- they never made adjustments to the defense of Bama and try to "open it up". Denard made a few good throws, but he also missed quite a bit- due to the "D". Osu did the same to him the year before last-his accuracy is questionable at times and more so under pressure.

His short passes on the flat weren't bad, but many long passes were overthrown or short.

Here are some highlights-

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2012/9/3/3290526/denard4heisman

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  6. Deehntr56

Cream- this one's for you:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  7. yeah, it was a tough one to watch. I think it was ultimately the perfect storm: Michigan tried to stay with the pocket passing, Alabama is really that good and Michigan suffered some pretty significant injuries, not to mention the suspension (which I agree with completely), and it was the 1st game of the season.

As for Denard, I was not really disappointed...his "misses" were more due to being a bit jacked up for the first game (overthrowing were the cause of almost all of the incompletions). I would have liked to see him improvise a little more, but that was Bama more than him.

I am still 100% Robinson...for what he is/what he does. Actually, after watching that game and watching the other teams, I am less concerned about the schedule, especially in the Big 10, than I was before the game. The only game I am a bit nervous about is ND...they looked really good this weekend.

We will see how it goes, though.

Oh, and to stir the pot a bit...I would most definitely MUCH rather have Robinson running our offense than Miller...made some nice plays with his legs (agains Miami of Ohio), but still cannot throw to save his life.

8. Deehntr56

[​IMG] Denard has 4 years of experience and missed a ton of passes last saturday and Braxton is just starting his 2nd year and throws better- I'll take Miller hands down!

I'm still going with 4-5 losses this year for nagihciM- Nebraska, ND, Buckeyes, MSU-and Hmmmmmmmm, Im thinkin one more- I wonder who:idea::biggrin:

9. Dee, good point...I should clarify: I would take Robinson right now over Miller right now to lead our offense, hands down. While I do not see Miller getting much better, he does have a couple of years to try.

As for, 4-5 losses, I must disagree and ask you if you have bumped your head recently!? :bouncy: At MOST, I think Michigan is a 3 loss team. As I mentioned, ND worries me, and if I HAD to pick one other loss, as much as it pains me to do so, I would say msu:nono:.

I would have loved to see how the Bama game would have changed if Toussaint was in the backfield. Not saying Michigan would have necessarily won, but I think it would have opened up more opportunities for Denard to do his thing.

Honestly, I am not really concerned with Nebraska or ohio. Things could change, though.

10. Deehntr56

I'm just messin'- good luck the rest of the year. I like Denard and I hope for the best for him. I just wished they would have utilized his legs and had some designed plays for him in that game. I was looking for you guys to hang with them on saturday-sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. We just need to get the "Big" to the point where we can take some of these SEC teams.

I think Toussaint would have given Bama something to worry about and opened things up a little.

But by the week of the "game" we'll be trash talking!!!:biggrin:

11. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin Mod

Hoke will need a couple of years to rebuild the program around his guys :) ;)

12. was you a pryor fan too...:mischeif::redface:ime will tell...its hard to tell against such a lowly opponent...once we get in conference play we'll be able to tell better...i mean anybuddy can look good when youre playing high school teams...hopefully miller is going to pan out but we've had too many duds in the past that were suppose to be so great...hopefully this one is...i wonder how good miller/osu woulda been against ala.and denard/mich against the redhawks...:biggrin:

13. Ohio went in and beat Penn in Beaver Stadium, but you don't play them unless there's a Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl in nagihcim's future. ;)

As for Nebraska, they have a decent RB, but an undersized QB that can do basically nothing but run. He's not much of a pocket QB but can be dangerous when plays break down. People like to pretend he has improved as a throwing QB but the stats the last few years don't back it up and he can't do it against real opponents. Never has, never will. Hmmm...who does that sound like? :D:whistle:

14. Deehntr56

Sure was greatwin record as a OSU quarterback- beat UM every game- and was recruited by just about every major program in College. Also was a fan of Troy Smith- way before you got any interest in college football and left the nascar forum to stir the pot here.:mischeif::yikes::biggrin:

Career Passing: 477 Cmp, 783 Att, 6177 Yds, 57 TD
    Career Rushing: 436 Att, 2164 Yds, 5.0 Avg, 17 TD
    Career Scoring: 19 TD, 2 2PM, 118 Pts

Awards and honors
    2007 Hall Trophy (U.S. Army Player of the Year)[25]
    2007 PARADE National Player of the Year and All-American[26]
    2008 Pete Dawkins Trophy (U.S. Army All-American Bowl MVP)
    2008 U.S. Army All-American MVP
    2008 Big Ten Freshman of the Year (coaches)[27]
    2008 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (media)[27]
    2009 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Sportsmanship Award
    2009 Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
    2009 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (media)
    2010 Rose Bowl MVP
    2010 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (coaches and media)
    2010 Big Ten MVP runner-up
    2011 Miller-Digby Award

and sold a gold trinket for a tat.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  15. Deehntr56

I watched him in his 1st game this year-mechanics much improved and was surprisingly accurate. Had a great game- I want to see a few more, but he may have improved dramatically going into this year, and they may be a major player against quite a few teams. He went 26-for-34 for 354 yards and threw five touchdowns with no interceptions last week.

16. Wake me up when he has that kind of performance against a real defense. Remember, Joe Bauserman was 12/16 with 3 TD's against Akron last fall...:nono:

17. Deehntr56

DH56....shaking Cream...real hard.....It's no fluke he's the Real Deal!!!!:whistle::biggrin::biggrin:

18. Denard will be OK. I'll be at the game Saturday just to make sure. I'll report back. There's about 105 teams in the country who would have got housed like UM without their starting RB and CB and DE. Maybe 10 or so that would have hung close and only a few that have a chance to win. I don't see any team on our schedule this year that would have a snowballs chance in hell against Bama. So, I'm still confident in my 9-3 or 10-2 record. Although the Countess injusry worries me a bit more

19. Hey, there's no shame in losing to Alabama. That team is scary good. Secondary is not a real deep spot for nagihcim so that injury does hurt, for sure. And I agree that Denard will be fine...when Hoke takes the reigns off of him and let's him do his thing. If he tells Denard to take a 5 or 7 step drop and stay in the pocket and throw the ball, he'll do what he always does...maybe complete 50% of his throws and throw as many TD's as INT's. Let Robinson have a roll out or a run/pass option and he's the most dangerous player in the conference. Tell him to sit in the pocket and every Big Ten team is happy and hopes he stays there.

20. Michigan was a preseason paper tiger and probably the worst preseason #8 team in recent history. Mel Kiper called them out last week and said he believes they won't be ranked in top 25 at season's end. Maybe they will get lucky and go to another BCS bowl and play someone from the ACC and amass a total of 138 yards of offense like last season. This would allow Hoke to mask the fact that he's not, nor has he ever been, a good head coach. Several late wins last season and one overthrow away from Rich Rod revisisted last year. I think it's about to turn midnight and Cindarella has lost her feed bag, I mean slipper. I like that Kovacs kid though, plays hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012