Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to be doing any Spring hog hunting this year?

I'm hoping to get out for a few days to hunt them when the refuge opens for it's Spring season. We've got a bunch of them down here.

Bad thing is I can't decide wether to take the full week off to hog hunt or only take a day or two off and then take a week or so off to turkey hunt.:)

Anyway, just thought I'd see if there are any Buckeye hog hunters around.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George, if your welcome to come down if you'd like. OTS was going to come, but he bailed. Something about going moose hunting this fall and his wife wearing the pants in the family...:)

As of now I'll be here, but there are rumors my trip to Fallon, NV may get extended by two weeks. If that happens then I'm SOL.

I'm trying a new concept. Positive thinking...:)

Thunderflight

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Man would i loveto hunt some hogs but like george said none around our part of the wood.Do you take visitors?????How much for a out of state lic for a hog or two????

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Would love to hunt some hogs. Maybe someday i'll get the chance.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Hay TF what time of year can you hunt hogs and how much does it or would it cost for a few fellows to travel to South Carolina right to hunt some hogs for a weekend.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CD,

Actually it's pretty cheap. You only need a non-resident regular hunting liscense for hogs. A five day liscense will run you around $25.

The refuge I hunt is public land. It is on both the SC and GA side of the Savanna River. If you want to hunt the GA side then you need a GA lisence. A one day liscense (for NR) is $5. A five day liscense is $25.

You really need a boat to get to the majority of the refuge, but you can hunt some of the SC side from land.

You do need to sign a copy of the refuge regs and have it on your person at all times while hunting the refuge. The permit/regs is printable off the internet and it's free.

I would guess the most expensive part, aside from driving expenses, would be lodging and food.

Now for the bad news.

The refuge is only open for a week in March. There aren't any other public lands that are open for hogs so private land is the only other option. Unfortunatly I don't have access to any private land with hogs.

The season is open for archery (no crossbows, even on the GA side), shot gun with slugs and muzzle loaders. No rifles or buck shot.

The refuge get's a fair amount of pressure, but most of it's on the weekends. During the week you might only see two or three boats beached along the river.

If your interested in coming down then let me know. I'll give you more details.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow , that sounds like it could be a great hunt with lots of fun. Hope somebody gets a chance to partake in it. But if not maybe Thunderflight could share some pics of the next hunt?;)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Thanks for the info TF will get in touch with you maybe we will have to see what is going on. This march is kind of short notice i thought maybe next year with a little more planning would be better. That not really a bad price either what would you say the odds would be for a NR.Will keep in touch

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CD,

I'd say your chances are just as good as any place that you'd pay for. There are ALOT of hogs in the refuge.

I'll be overseas next year, but I can give you a few hints on where to go and how to hunt them.

When I get back I'll email you all the info on the refuge. They have a one month archery only season in October and a one month gun season in November too.

I'll post pictures of this years hunt.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Thanks alot TF for all the info i will be in touch

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
playin hooky huh?

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm kinda bummed.....

I spoke to my buddies today. They all hunted the opening day at the refuge. Tim (one of my bud's) said that the place was so packed with people that you couldn't walk 50 yards with out seeing another hunter. He said it was 10 times as packed as it was on last years opening day.

I know there will still be plenty of piggies running around come Wednesday, but it really blows that the secret is out and everyone knows about the refuge.

I'm still looking forward to going on Wednesday, but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Awwwww the joys of hunting on public land. Anyone have any cheese to go with my whine...:)

Thunderflight

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Good luck :TF hope you have good luck and may your bullet or arrow fly true.Post of some picture of that big pig

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bou,

I was planning on bow hunting the first couple days, but after that report I think the best bet is going to be doing hog drives with my slug slinger.

Either way it's still alot of fun.

TF

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more day to go.....:)

Man I can't wait until Wednesday....:)

I'm going to Georgia in the morning to get my five day NR liscense. This way I can hunt the GA side of the refuge.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated. :D

Thunderflight

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i had somebuddy ask me about if i hunted hogs yesterday,i said no...then they said they had a pal that hunted hogs on a fenced in pen,his words...this non hunterwasn't too impressed with this huntin them in pens,thought all hunters did it which i assured him hunters don't do that...had to explain that .said he beleeved how i explained it and knew that to be true...seems his hunting pal was real turned off by the ordeal ,said he could hear them releasing the hogs out of a shed(opening/closing a door)said a bunch of guides??? herded the hogs right to him and it was too easy...now i know hunting on the refuge is ethical and exciting but how can anyone enjoy a penned animal hunt like this?many non hunters and maybe some hunters think this is how hogs are hunted...i would love trying for one on public land...but i would prefer to never hunt one if i had only the penned hunt as an option...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts