Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go.
I'm a new member and hopefully this will be the first of many posts for me. My name's Josh, Im 40 years old and I'm in Stark County Ohio. I've been in the state for about 6 years. Prior to living here, I spent most of my life in Washington state. I'm an avid fisherman and am looking to get back into hunting. I haven't hunted since I was in my early twenties and now that my kids are getting older, or almost old enough, I'd really like to get back into hunting and introduce them to what was a big part of my life as a young man. As a CCW holder I spend quite a bit of time at the range with pistols and have joined a gun club where I went and patterned my Mossberg 500 just yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to Turkey hunting in Ohio. Growing up in Wa, there was quite a bit of deer/elk hunting, upland game and waterfowl but not much in the way of turkey hunting so I'm excited about the opportunity to go after a cagey ole tom. Aside from the Mossberg, I have a few 9mm pistols and an AR-10 for zombie or hunting back west. I look forward to meeting new people and making new friends here with like minded people.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Nice post there, Decker. Lot's of good guys here and good information. Welcome. ;)

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey josh, its josh, also in stark county and I was born in peirce county WA state lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Coyote.
That was last summer on the Skykomish River on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington State. She was about a 16# Chinook hen. I go out to see my dad every summer during the Chinook/Coho runs and get myself a week long out of state liscense and punch card. We spend most of our mornings down on the river and the afternoons in front of the smoker and beer cooler with our guitars and banjos. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're pretty close, I'm in North Canton.
I just found out through this forum that there's a steelhead run up north a bit. I always did my steelheading in the fall and winter months, spent the summers hooking salmon. ODNRs website says the Rocky River will produce until May. Have you ever been up there? If so, are the fish still in the rivers this late in the year? I'm pretty excited about stelheading again. They are by far, one of my favorites to hook into.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All the lake erie tributaries have trout and steelies in them at least close to lake erie..heard PA is good fishing as well

J BaKe 330

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I havent done any Steelhead fishing....I am a avid Crappie and Walleye fisher and my wife is a catfish addict....lol....

There is good fishing at Berlin reservoir outside alliance, there are 2 small lakes called Deer Creek and Waborn Reservoirs right beside it....good waterfowl hunting too..

there is some decent public land hunting if you do some scouting to see where people wont be...

you cam PM me with specific location questions also...

·
22,521 Posts
We're pretty close, I'm in North Canton.
I just found out through this forum that there's a steelhead run up north a bit. I always did my steelheading in the fall and winter months, spent the summers hooking salmon. ODNRs website says the Rocky River will produce until May. Have you ever been up there? If so, are the fish still in the rivers this late in the year? I'm pretty excited about stelheading again. They are by far, one of my favorites to hook into.
Check out GMBuck's posts in the fly fishing forum for information on the steelhead fishing.

The Rocky River and Chagrin river has been good for many over the years in the spring and fall. Upstate New York has some good fishing as well.

When my daughter went to school in seattle the last couple of years, I visited with her quite a bit and was able to see the skykomish area a little. I have hunted out west quite a bit too. Good luck in Ohio!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check out GMBuck's posts in the fly fishing forum for information on the steelhead fishing.

The Rocky River and Chagrin river has been good for many over the years in the spring and fall. Upstate New York has some good fishing as well.

When my daughter went to school in seattle the last couple of years, I visited with her quite a bit and was able to see the skykomish area a little. I have hunted out west quite a bit too. Good luck in Ohio!
Thanks. It seems there's a lot more to do here in Ohio than I had thought. I really hadn't been doing a whole lot outdoors wise until last summer, two kids in the last six years, relocating to another state, buying a house, securing work.....life sometimes gets in the way of life. Now that things are settling down a bit and I can get out and see Ohio more, I'm overjoyed to find the my preconcieved notions were completely wrong. :bouncy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts