Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were walking around locating and looking for gobbles when we heard some in the woods that border a corn field. We can't hunt past the field so we set up our decoys, a Jake and a hen, and kept calling. They gobbled more and seemed to disperse and we can't hear them now.....we adjusted the decoys and are still hunting over them. What do we do now?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
18 Posts
be patient and just soft call every half hour or so... or sneak out and come back later.......sounds like you found the roost area but the birds have another area they are going to after fly down, try to pinpoint that area and get permission and either be waiting for em there in the morning or on between the roost and where they are going

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They seem to have wandered back...I am cutting/yelping when they gobble....right idea or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't over call..they obviously know where you are .....just soft call n be patient.........remember your doing the opposite of what mother nature intended......curiosity n horny tom kill more turkeys than the loudest n best calling

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. And should we have a Jake and hen up or take one down?

·
Registered
18 Posts
if the birds are close to where you are i wouldnt do anything, you may bust em.......especially moving in a open field, id wait it out!!!:shhh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that's what well do. He's double gobbling every once in a while now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's loud enough if he's a little ways out?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Based on what I've observed and heard this year be ready because birds have been coming in silent for a lot of people

·
Registered
18 Posts
The birds moved away from em, but he trailed em and kept calling.... had to go to work but told em to setup in the morning in between where he heard em and where they went,,,,,,,, and lets hope hes golden!! he did everything right and never bumped em chasing em!!! thinks hes golden!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the help guys, we tried to cut in behind em as they trailed away and they seemed interested for a few minutes but then they just decided to keep moving. We will be back saturday to lay the hammer down. Thank you guys for all the help. This is my first serious year hunting turkeys and your help is really beneficial. Wish me luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts