Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 32 and live in Fulton County, Ohio. I am completely new to hunting. I have 2 acres on a corner of a farm field so not the best area if I wanted to hunt my own land. I have read posts that have said the minimum to hunt your own land is 5 acres. Not sure if this is true for Fulton County. I have shot guns all my life but I have decided to try bow hunting to give myself a challenge and to extend the amount of time I have to hunt with the longer season. I am interested in any advice as far as what equipment to buy or not to buy and where the best places are to hunt. I’m only a few miles from maumee state forest so that would be the most convenient but not sure if that’s the best option. Do all bowhunters take stands onto public ground or do some shoot from ground level? What are the best times to get into stands to avoid disturbing other hunters? Not looking for any secret spots. It’s going to be a huge learning curve for me but I am looking forward to the experience. I am probably going to hold off a year. I would like to get my bow and equipment this fall and practice, practice, practice in hopes for a successful first hunt next year. I have two young boys and I would like to get into hunting now in order to eventually pass down the skill to them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A crossbow will get you hunting the fastest , vertical bows take longer to get up to speed. Deer anatomy (shot placement) visuals are available online....a ground blind helps with scent control and masks movement of new hunters.. 2 acres is huntable if you can retrieve deer from the neighboring fields...plus, if it's 2 acres of woods beside ag fields, it's a probable travel route , have you looked for sign there? Deer scat, old rubs on trees ...walked paths thru the woods?
And finally, is there a butcher if deer nearby? Alot of people like to do their own deer, but a first timer would do well to have someone lined up after the gutting us done(lots of good gutting tutorials online.... if your interested, get the safety courses done, get hunting.. heck, you can build a natural ground blind......you can't replace time in the woods, a mentor would be great for you....im in northeast ohio unfortunately....

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a podcast called the Huntfish Journal that would be a great resource for you. Episodes 129-132, 135-140. Great guys that hunt here in Ohio! Their methods work!

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Welcome!! It’s never too late to discover the outdoors. Kudos to you

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome. When I hunt public ground, I use a climber stand. Goes in with you, comes out with you. I agree with the crossbow comment as well. Quickest way to get bowhunting and making accurate shots. Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts