Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 29 and completely new into hunting. Before coming here I never had shot a gun before, but as soon as I could got myself a 350 Legend rifle, went to the range and I shot for the first time in my life and I loved it! I always wanted to get into deer hunting, and I really hope I can experience it this year (already got my license / hunter ed). Since I'm new in this world of guns and hunting I would appreciate the advice of more experienced hunters, and would love to know about tips on how to get started into deer hunting, places to hunt here in Ohio, stuff to get, etc.

I live near the Columbus area, if you guys have any hunting activities near central Ohio would be great to know.

Nice to meet you all, hope we can all have a great time!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Welcome, be willing to travel. Boots on the ground is the best way to both gain experience in the woods and find a good place to hunt. Finding a good place to hunt is something you will need to decide for yourself. Lots of deer isn’t the only consideration. Would you rather hunt hills, flat, treestands, blinds, do you want easy access or remote? Take some time to visit public hunting places near you and get a feel for what you want out of a hunt (other than back straps).

Reactions: Trigger64

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Welcome to the site! I strongly urge you to hook up with a mentor to get you started. You will be worlds ahead by the end of one season vs learning everything the hard way. Join a conservation club in your area. Talk to folks at your local gun range. Find a way to spend time around fellow hunters. As a bonus you may make some lifelong friendships. Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My hunting tip for you is to take the ODNR's hunter's ed course if you haven't already done so. And seek out a friend to hunt with for safety and help. Think about trying crossbow or compound bow - archery season gives a lot more opportunity and some exciting close encounters. Good luck and welcome !

Reactions: Trigger64
1 - 9 of 9 Posts