Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this before, but I need a refreshment of memory and to see if I get any new opinions. What is the best way to catch hellgramites with a minnow seam (sp?). I assume its better in shallow water. I've heard to check the bottom of rocks for clinging ones, and I've heard to dig in the sand a little bit under the rocks. Anything else? Also, what is the best way to catch minnows in this seam? Everytime we chase them in the net, they either squeeze through the holes or they don't get trapped and when we pull it up there are none. The only way that works is to walk with it, but how can I catch them by just setting it up?

·
Registered
586 Posts
hellgramites.when i caught them,we would just have one of us kicking rocks loose and the other holding the seine down current.they just drift with the current,into it.for minnies,you generally have to move.either walk backward,poking and kicking into undercuts,or forward.herd them to a smaller area and dip them up.1/4 inch mesh shouldn't let any through,and if so,they're too small anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just like misfit says, i have heard if you hold the seine downstream and have your buddy kickin up rocks...you should get some helgramites.
Personally i have only done the look under the rocks method...usally i can catch enough to last me the day within a half hour or so....helgramites have produced better than shiners for me and i love em cuz you can catch 4 or 5 fish without losein your bait usally.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WEll we kicked up the rocks and flipped them last year with the seine propped up downstream...1 really small one the whole year. It was pretty shallow water as well so I'm not sure what went wrong.

·
Registered
586 Posts
they just may not have been there.or there wasn't eneough current to keep them fom taking hold of the bottom,in which case,carefully turning over rocks and picking them out might work.we sometimes would just shuffle a bunch of gravel/rocks into the seine,then hold the sides up and pick them out.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats good, I'll have to try it. Went to dicks today and they have minnow seines 4' x 6' x 1/8" which I am going to buy, its fairly cheap.

·
Registered
586 Posts
lureboy

just a suggestion.8 foot seine is the only thing i ever used.6 foot is really too short for effectively trapping minnies,in most cases.8 foot may sound big,but it really isn't.that extra 2 feet makes a big difference.i tried 6 footers and didn't like them at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts